View Full Version : The Newest Member of the Dunn Family

Jason Dunn
06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
On Friday, Ashley and I picked up our new family member: Keiko the Shih Tzu. :D

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/IMG_5138.jpg

(she's the bigger of the three :wink: )

It's hard work taking care of a puppy! She's 9 weeks old, and we're having to train every aspect of her behaviour. Sleepless nights... :| This is good practice for having a baby, because hopefully after a few months of this I'll have better patience with small creatures who don't listen to me. :really mad:

But we still love her. :ppclove:

ghostppc
06-02-2003, 04:43 PM
:lilangel: Can anyone say awwwwwwww.......at least until she starts chewing on everyone's shoes, but cute nonetheless :)

aroma
06-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Chewing on shoes nothing! In that household I'd be more worried about her chewing on my latest PPC! :wink:

Jason Dunn
06-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Chewing on shoes nothing! In that household I'd be more worried about her chewing on my latest PPC! :wink:

Actually, she's been really good about not chewing on things so far. She'll start, we'll say "no", and she stops. Having a good supply of rope chew toys certainly helps - she loves those. :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Very cute. :) I'd like to have a dog, but I'm more of a cat person.

trachy
06-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Having raised both a child (girl) and a puppy (beagle), I'd say taking care of a baby is the easier of the two. We couldn't take our eyes off the dog for even a second.

Of course, my daughter hasn't hit her teen years yet... ;-)

aroma
06-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Actually, she's been really good about not chewing on things so far.

Hehehehe.... famous last words... :D

smittyofdhs
06-02-2003, 05:48 PM
boy, this sure does sound familar....

about 1-1/2 years ago we got a puppy shih tzu to fill the void of not having a child (plumbing was working but nothing was taking). Soon after we got the puppy, everyone told us that we would now be able to have the child.....TO our amazement, they were right! a few months after getting the puppy my wife got pregnant. Almost 9 months later, we have a beautiful baby girl that will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Almost 9 months later, we have a beautiful baby girl that will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.
Congrats!

Jeff Rutledge
06-02-2003, 06:33 PM
boy, this sure does sound familar....

Too funny. Almost the exact same story here. We got a Shih Tzu pup just over a year ago and we just found out my wife is pregnant (due around Christmas).

So Jason: It looks like this breed of dog has some kind of mystical fertility power so be careful. 8O

Here's a pic of Rascal (appropriately named) at about the same age as Keiko:

http://members.shaw.ca/jr2002/rascal1.jpg

Have you given her her first bath yet? If not, a preview:

http://members.shaw.ca/jr2002/rascal0.jpg

She doesn't look too impressed eh? She doesn't mind them too much now though.

Enjoy Jason. They're a great addition to the family.

smittyofdhs: How did your pup react to the new one? We're concerned that our pup's nose will be put a little out of joint. Any attitude from yours when you brought the little one home?

Ashley Dunn
06-02-2003, 11:08 PM
We love our little Keiko. Despite the cries and nearly giving me a nervous breakdown last night, she's great. She brings us so much laughter! She apparently likes to attack my ear. Not quite sure why, but she seems to be most enthralled with it. :wink:

We took her to meet my parent's dogs yesterday - that was an adventure. She nipped at the younger Shadow, but once she got that out of her system, both Shadow and Murphy (the older dog) were able to sniff her and she was fine. It's definitely a learning process for the whole family!

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 11:17 PM
We took her to meet my parent's dogs yesterday - that was an adventure. She nipped at the younger Shadow, but once she got that out of her system, both Shadow and Murphy (the older dog) were able to sniff her and she was fine. It's definitely a learning process for the whole family!
I can't imagine trying to take my cats to go visit my in-laws cats... Now *that* would be tense! ;)

CTSLICK
06-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Having raised both a child (girl) and a puppy (beagle), I'd say taking care of a baby is the easier of the two. We couldn't take our eyes off the dog for even a second.

Of course, my daughter hasn't hit her teen years yet... ;-)

Our beagle was WAY harder to raise and MUCH tougher to keep track of than either of our 2 boys (9 and 7). Mind you...he's a sweet dog, loves people but I swear...the dog is ALWAYS on the hunt for food. This is a dog that I caught with his head shoved into my half open softside briefcase trying to extract a breath mint immediately after finishing his dinner. Maybe he was trying to get the taste out of his mouth? Nothing that smells or looks like food is safe. I think our next dog will be a cat :twisted:

karen
06-05-2003, 01:50 AM

Ay que mono!...what a cutie.

Jason, I thought of you while I was in Calgary on Monday and Tuesday. If I'd known about Keiko, I would have come stalking over to your home for sure.

I wish I had a lifestyle that had room for a puppy. I used to have a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix named Pancho. He now lives with a member of Ratt (but that's a long story).

Kisses to Keiko.

K

smittyofdhs
06-05-2003, 03:46 PM

Ay que mono!...what a cutie.

Jason, I thought of you while I was in Calgary on Monday and Tuesday. If I'd known about Keiko, I would have come stalking over to your home for sure.

I wish I had a lifestyle that had room for a puppy. I used to have a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix named Pancho. He now lives with a member of Ratt (but that's a long story).

Kisses to Keiko.

K
Okay you brought it up, which member of Ratt?