View Full Version : I have the notebook, now I'm requesting suggestions for WiFi hardware

hubcap
06-01-2003, 07:39 PM
I picked up a Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 yesterday. This is my first notebook pc for home use. It's beautiful...sniff, sniff. Now I need my wireless setup and I have a few questions. I'll be needing a wireless router and PC card.

I have read through some posts and reviews and a particular brand/model hasn't jumped out at me as the best bang for the buck. Am I missing it, and are there any I should stay away from? The Orinoco card did seemed to be praised frequently.

b or g? I know 802.11g is faster, but I'll be mostly using this for surfing with a DSL connection and maybe sharing some files with my desktop. I also think I would like to use the IR on the notebook to sync with my V35.

Printing from the notebook. I need a print server, right? Does that have to be part of the router or can I get something extra to resolve that?

That's all I can think of for now.

spursdude
06-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I just ordered some Netgear hardware - the MR814 Router (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HYKM/qid=1054494225/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-1150192-4960063?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) and the MA401 PC Card adapter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005B8HO/qid=1054494267/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/002-1150192-4960063?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282). I'll let you know how setup goes when they get here (probably in like a week). The pricing was good, design looks nice, and reviews are good.

Printing from the notebook. I need a print server, right? Does that have to be part of the router or can I get something extra to resolve that?
Assuming you have a desktop on the network with a printer attached to it, you won't need a print server. What you can do is just share the printer from that desktop and have all the other computers on the network connect to it. That's what I do.

Kati Compton
06-01-2003, 08:08 PM
This is how I share my printer as well (through the desktop). The only caveat is that you have to make sure the desktop is on when you want to print, and there is some slowdown at the desktop (okay, maybe only when I'm playing Dungeon Siege simultaneously) while someone else is printing.

Jason Dunn
06-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Go for 802.11b - it's cheap, everywhere, and unless you have a VERY fast 'Net connection, you won't saturate 11 megabits. I personally would have gone for a notebook with WiFi built-in though. PCMCIA cards are so 2002. ;-)

hubcap
06-01-2003, 09:33 PM
PCMCIA cards are so 2002. ;-)

Yea, I was a bit torn between the Toshiba and a HP with integrated wireless. I didn't think I was giving up much since the Tosh has 2 PCMCIA slots, USB 2.0, Firewire, and a SD slot 8), all for less than the HP (which didn't have those features). The eMachines notebook that I was considering was nice, but I was just a little leary about their reliability and service with a brand new line.

If I don't want to keep my desktop running to print from the laptop, do I have any other options than a router with a built in print server? And are all manufacturers putting out pretty much the same quality stuff?

Jason Dunn
06-01-2003, 11:01 PM
If I don't want to keep my desktop running to print from the laptop, do I have any other options than a router with a built in print server? And are all manufacturers putting out pretty much the same quality stuff?

I don't think so - although I've never actually used the print server when I had it on my D-Link. I recently switched from a D-Link gateway/WAP to a Microsoft MN-500, and I really like it. The software + setup was a breeze - very well thought-out and easy to get working. No print server though, so you'll need to keep that desktop on.

lurch
06-02-2003, 12:46 AM
I would also recommend to go with 802.11b.. I use it for prettymuch the same things you do, and have no speed problems!

I've been using the D-Link wireless router/hub, and for my notebook I use the D-Link AirPlus PCMCIA card (DWL-650+). The upside is that the D-Link PLUS products apparently can transmit at a higher speed than normal 802.11b hardware (but only if everything is PLUS, otherwise it's normal). The downside -- the PCMCIA card (and desktop card, for that matter) aren't compatible with Linux :( So I had to put WinXP on my laptop... but if that's not a problem, then I'd definitely recommend D-Link!

Pony99CA
06-02-2003, 02:12 AM
I have read through some posts and reviews and a particular brand/model hasn't jumped out at me as the best bang for the buck. Am I missing it, and are there any I should stay away from? The Orinoco card did seemed to be praised frequently.

I've been happy with my SMC Barricade AWBR 7004 Wireless router. Check out the SMC Web site (http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?site=c) -- they have a few models to choose from.

b or g? I know 802.11g is faster, but I'll be mostly using this for surfing with a DSL connection and maybe sharing some files with my desktop.

Contrary to what others have said, I'd suggest 802.11g if you don't mind the price difference. That way you'll be ready for the future, while still having compatibility with 802.11b.

The SMC router that I have comes with print server software, although I haven't installed it. I don't know if all of their routers come with it, though.

Steve