View Full Version : Installing new OS - Cannot get into IPAq pass Password screen.

tbrown85
06-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Where do I obtain a new OS for a IPAQ 3835?

How Do I install it? Where can I find instrutions?

Right now it when it loads up to compaq screen it says version 1.2.

Problem, My Ipaq will not let me enter the OS, the pass is set and correct, but it looks as if it minimizes windows and just freezes on the pass screen. I was installing some apps to test them out. This problem did not occur right after I installed the software. I have already backed up my stuff so I am not worried about that, yes I tried to hardreset it, its just seems to reset the ipaq regularly, instead of taking me to the get started screen.

Anyones help would be appreciated.

Janak Parekh
06-01-2003, 07:33 PM
How did you try the hard reset? You're supposed to hold the outer buttons and press and hold the soft reset until the screen starts to clear. Let go and wait about a minute, at which point the screen should be completely clear, and soft-reset again. You should definitely get the Welcome screen at that point.

BTW, when ready to do the ROM upgrade, don't enter a password beforehand. :)

--janak

tbrown85
06-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Yes I did a hard reset correctly, the outer buttons then the soft reset button, it spits me right to the compaq screen as if it was by-passing the hard reset. I have had the PW in the Ipaq pretty much when I got it, ummm.....anyone?

Janak Parekh
06-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Yes I did a hard reset correctly, the outer buttons then the soft reset button, it spits me right to the compaq screen as if it was by-passing the hard reset.
You're not holding the soft-reset down long enough, then. You've gotta hold it for at least 10 seconds. It'll show the Compaq reset screen, but keep holding; then the backlight will suddenly shut off, then the screen will "start disintegrating". That's when you want to let go of the soft reset and wait until the screen clears.

If that still doesn't work, I hope your outer buttons are working. 8O

--janak

tbrown85
06-03-2003, 05:20 AM
I got it working, I drained out the whole battery, to force it to reload os. Do you know how to reinstall or upgrade OS/ROm? Or where to go about doing it?

Janak Parekh
06-03-2003, 05:23 AM
All the 3835 updates are here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/71_2593.html). In retrospect, 1.20 is the latest ROM -- I should have mentioned it earlier. There are individual updates after that, though; in particular, EUU3 (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/16579.html) if you don't already have it.

--janak