View Full Version : Time to experiment...

Steven Cedrone
05-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Since I will be traveling next week (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12992), I am going to attempt to do everything I would normally do with PC's, Laptops, etc, using nothing but my Pocket PC... 8)

It will be me, my Jornada, charger, Stowaway keyboard, wired and wireless LAN cards, modem, batt extender, ear buds, and plenty of CF cards...

Depending on how well things go, I may also do it for the second week...

It should be interesting!!! :wink:

Any suggestions/comments welcome! (well, except the "you're freakin' nuts" comment :wink: )

Steve

bljarv
05-31-2003, 12:47 AM
Good luck!!!!! :D

dh
05-31-2003, 03:14 AM
So for two weeks we can post anything we want without Steve's "Keep on topic" comments and no danger of our posts going to the HOF&S. (Just kidding Steve)

At least after your trip you will be putting pressure on our friend Mr. Dunn to get the mobile forums finally finished. Reading these forums is one job you do need a laptop or desktop for.

I'll be in NYC as well next week, just for Monday at the Medical Devices Show @ Javits.

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 04:30 AM
Hope you'll be looking Janak up.

Pony99CA
05-31-2003, 04:57 AM
So for two weeks we can post anything we want without Steve's "Keep on topic" comments and no danger of our posts going to the HOF&S. (Just kidding Steve)
While the cat's away.... :grinning devil:

Steve

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 05:00 AM
While the cat's away.... :grinning devil:
I think you mean the pig will play... or the pony... wait, I'm the cat, am I going somewhere? All these animals have me confused.

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 05:01 AM
BTW - I'm of the opinion that 1/3 of all PPCT users are named "Steve", 1/3 are named "Dave", and everyone else makes up the other 1/3.

Steven Cedrone
05-31-2003, 05:09 AM
BTW - I'm of the opinion that 1/3 of all PPCT users are named "Steve", 1/3 are named "Dave", and everyone else makes up the other 1/3.

Not counting the 'Thoughts crew...

I'm of the opinion that 1/3 of the posts are made by Pony, 1/3 are made by Kati-kat, and everyone else makes up the other 1/3... :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 05:15 AM
I'm of the opinion that 1/3 of the posts are made by Pony, 1/3 are made by Kati-kat, and everyone else makes up the other 1/3... :wink:
I know my excuse is that I don't have a life. Pony - what's yours? ;)

Steven Cedrone
05-31-2003, 05:33 AM

Wrong... :wink:

At least after your trip you will be putting pressure on our friend Mr. Dunn to get the mobile forums finally finished. Reading these forums is one job you do need a laptop or desktop for.

Wrong again! I'll be using my Pocket PC to watch the forums using the mobile template. It rocks!!! :way to go:

Steve

Janak Parekh
05-31-2003, 06:07 AM
Wrong... :wink:
And, if things get really out of control, I'll give Steve (Steve C, that is) a login in my office. :D

Back ontopic, I think this is a great idea. Steve, you should write up an article on your experiences when you get back home. I've never managed to pull this off, but that's because I haven't figure out how to do large-scale programming on a Pocket PC. ;)

--janak

Dave Beauvais
05-31-2003, 07:01 AM
:rofl:!!

Pony99CA
05-31-2003, 09:08 AM
I know my excuse is that I don't have a life. Pony - what's yours? ;)
Unemployment -- still. :-(

Steve

dh
05-31-2003, 03:37 PM
Unemployment -- still. :-(Steve
That sucks Steve. I went through a similer thing last year. A business I had just could not make it.
After a terrible 2002, I got a "real" job with a great company and things are getting a lot better. Still have some fall out from the other business to deal with but.......
I know things have been tough for tech guys in your part of the country. Hope things work out for you soon.

Wrong again! I'll be using my Pocket PC to watch the forums using the mobile template. It rocks!!! :way to go: Steve
When will the rest of us get the opportunity to be able to use the mobile version? Might be the last thing I need to get a T-Mobile Starbucks subscription.

How's that Kati, a post from a Dave, quoting two Steves :lol:

Janak Parekh
05-31-2003, 04:44 PM
So, I checked this out. We have 115,309 posts. Subtracting the PPCT crew brings us down to 98,430 posts. Steve and Kati must be posting under different aliases. :lol:

When will the rest of us get the opportunity to be able to use the mobile version? Might be the last thing I need to get a T-Mobile Starbucks subscription.
Jason and Fabrizio are feverishly testing the subscriber stuff right now, and they're packing in a few last-minute features. It's insane, the amount of time and planning they're putting into it, so believe me, they're not ignoring this at all :) This will be the most amazing subscriber opportunity of any blog/news site I know. :)

--janak

lurch
05-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Jason and Fabrizio are feverishly testing the subscriber stuff right now, and they're packing in a few last-minute features. <snip> This will be the most amazing subscriber opportunity of any blog/news site I know. :)
So does this mean this site will turn into a "here's a snippit of this article, you must subscribe (pay the fee) to view the entire article"???

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Unemployment -- still. :-(

:( Sorry to hear it.

Kati Compton
05-31-2003, 05:22 PM
So, I checked this out. We have 115,309 posts. Subtracting the PPCT crew brings us down to 98,430 posts. Steve and Kati must be posting under different aliases. :lol:
Yes. As "Dave" and "Steve". Maybe I'm all the Dave's, and Pony's all the Steve's....

Janak Parekh
05-31-2003, 05:37 PM
So does this mean this site will turn into a "here's a snippit of this article, you must subscribe (pay the fee) to view the entire article"???
No. They've studiously avoided preventing you from viewing content. Check out some of the old threads or give it another few weeks, and it'll all become clear. :)

--janak

Pony99CA
05-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Jason and Fabrizio are feverishly testing the subscriber stuff right now, and they're packing in a few last-minute features. <snip> This will be the most amazing subscriber opportunity of any blog/news site I know. :)
My understanding is that free users will get all the same stuff we do now. Subscribers will get mobile forums and more.

With luck, we'll find out soon. :-)

Steve

M@
05-31-2003, 10:48 PM
When the cats away the mice will play.

But I don't see how that's relavent.

Why on Earth are you doing this?

No, I don't mean why are you using a pocket pc as a normal computer.

I am asking, Why on Earth are you trusting technology!

That's almost suicide.

Steven Cedrone
05-31-2003, 11:23 PM
Why on Earth are you doing this?

W?BIC!!! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7144&highlight=w+bic)

I am asking, Why on Earth are you trusting technology!

We trust technology all the time, from the planes we fly in, to the cars we drive in, to....

Well, you get my point. :wink:

Steve

M@
05-31-2003, 11:30 PM
And how many times does this technology go wrong?

My Point Exactly

Thankyou, and good night.

Pony99CA
06-01-2003, 06:28 AM
And how many times does this technology go wrong?

My Point Exactly

Thankyou, and good night.
Go back to a cave then, and start fires with flint and sticks. I guess you won't be needing that Dell you were thinking of buying (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12971), either. Why did you want it again? Oh yeah, so you could listen to music while riding in a car. :roll:

Steve

xoiph
06-01-2003, 07:09 AM
Ok pony, now that's creepy! :mrgreen:

spursdude
06-01-2003, 07:11 AM
If you're referring to his ability to remember every single thread ever on these boards, it amazes me time and time again... things like "There was a thread about this 3 weeks and 4 days ago exactly answering your question." 8O

Pony99CA
06-01-2003, 07:54 AM
If you're referring to his ability to remember every single thread ever on these boards, it amazes me time and time again... things like "There was a thread about this 3 weeks and 4 days ago exactly answering your question." 8O
Actually, it's not too creepy in this case. I just happened to be participating in both threads, and got notifications that both were updated.

Other times, it's a combination of a rough memory for things and the ability to use search.

Now if I could just figure some way to make money off of it. :-)

Steve

M@
06-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I was only joking... being silly in a silly topic? Can you blame me (yes).

Pony99CA
06-01-2003, 11:54 AM
OK, but humor (or "humour", as you'd say) isn't conveyed well in plain text. You're fairly new here, so may I suggest liberal use of the silly icons. :) :D :mrgreen: :lol: :rofl:

Steve

M@
06-01-2003, 08:52 PM
OK, but humor (or "humour", as you'd say) isn't conveyed well in plain text. You're fairly new here, so may I suggest liberal use of the silly icons. :) :D :mrgreen: :lol: :rofl:

Steve

Or Humous if you like chick peas.

The silly icons are good.. to a point.

I mean, when we the last time anyone laughed at at an exclamation mark.
:!:

So you have to have inititive.

Steven Cedrone
06-01-2003, 08:57 PM
being silly in a silly topic?

Hmmm...

What's so silly about the topic???

Steve

Kati Compton
06-01-2003, 09:36 PM
What's so silly about the topic???

Maybe it's not the topic itself but the people posting in the thread? :silly:

Dave Beauvais
06-01-2003, 09:55 PM
I visited a friend of mine in Illinois for five days a couple weeks ago. I brought my laptop and its associated accessories and a spare battery. The whole time I was there, I didn't take it out of the bag once. Had I known that ahead of time, I'd have simply left it at home and done the trip with only one piece of luggage.

Any info I needed to look up was on my Pocket PC, I could check e-mail (and visit Thought, of course ;)) from her PC, and find my way through the unfamiliar city with maps and place guides from Mapopolis (http://www.mapopolis.com/). In fact, I had the required maps and place guides for the whole trip so that if I had to get off the interstate at some unexpected exit, I'd be able to look up places to go if necessary. I also had about two hours of music and an audio book in WMA format, which I played on the car stereo via an iRock FM Transmitter (http://www.myirock.com/players/default.asp). With the screen turned off, the iPAQ lasted the entire 400 mile trip with nearly two and a half hours of battery life to spare when I arrived at the house in Illinois.

All this was stored on a 256 MB SD card. I had the map data and other critical stuff backed up on a Lexar 64 MB card which I kept in one of the card slots in the case (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,10394) just in case the SanDisk card crapped out on me during the trip. (Yeah, as if that would ever happen! :twisted:) I carried a spare battery for my h5455 (which I didn't need, as it turned out) and a second charger so I could leave the original plugged into the cradle back at home. I used the backup app built into the iPAQ to backup my Pocket PC and copied the backup file to both SD cards.

The one thing I don't yet have for my iPAQ is a keyboard, so had I not had access to my friend's PC, any e-mail would have had to be done on my iPAQ. My screen-based input has gotten faster over the last couple years, but there's still no substitute for a real keyboard for efficient input of large amounts of text.

When I make the trip again in November, I won't hesitate to leave the laptop at home. In fact, I'm finding the laptop to be more and more of a hassle these days now that I'm using my Pocket PC for so much stuff. If the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade allows Inbox to easily access secure POP3 and IMAP servers, I may never take the laptop with me again. :)

Plan ahead, carry a backup with you, and make sure you have plenty of power, and I don't think you'll have a problem.

--Dave

Steven Cedrone
06-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Plan ahead, carry a backup with you, and make sure you have plenty of power, and I don't think you'll have a problem.

It's funny, when I read your post I decided to back up my Pocket PC to a second card just to be safe (I had already packed up my Pocket PC stuff). Don't you know, my youngest had taken most of my CF my cards out of my briefcase and put them in her room...

I would have been one unhappy puppy when I went to read some books and listen to some music...

I owe you a beer!!!

Steve

Kati Compton
06-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Don't you know, my youngest had taken most of my CF my cards out of my briefcase and put them in her room...

How old is this youngest? Was there a method to the madness?

Steven Cedrone
06-02-2003, 12:49 AM
How old is this youngest? Was there a method to the madness?

She'll be three next week...

I think she just wanted them...

Steve

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 01:33 AM
She'll be three next week...

I think she just wanted them...

Heh! Don't we all... ;)

maximus
06-02-2003, 02:45 AM
Just a quick question, I see that some of you guys are married, yet you still have so much time for internet, forums, etc. How did you find all the time to do that ? What did your spouse said about your online time ?

I have a girlfriend working abroad, when she is in the city, I practically have no time for my computers (desktop and PPC alike). When I turn on my desktop, connecting to internet or launching games (I am currently hooked on C&C Generals and Rise of the Nation), she will say something like .. hey you, turn that thing off, lets go to a mall, ... or a gym, or a friend's party, lets go swimming, there is a 50% discount at jake's parasurf this week, etc.

Girlfriend like to go outdoor very much, she hates indoors live. While I am more to the geek side (my original hobby are mostly indoors and computer/electronics related .. learned all my outdoor hobbies from her). Yeah, I guess she is the better part of us.

Point is, when she is around, basically I dont use both PC and PPC during after office hours. Yeah, the wanting to play game is there, but I actually feels that outdoors activity is more interesting if she is around. I actually made a silly comment to her 2 weeks ago, that she is killing my geeki-ness. har har.

aroma
06-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Just a quick question, I see that some of you guys are married, yet you still have so much time for internet, forums, etc.

I have a girlfriend working abroad, when she is in the city, I practically have no time for my computers.

I think you have answered your own question. There is a BIG differenct between having a girlfriend and being maried! When you are dating someone you WANT to spend all your time with them. When you are married.... :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
My husband and I surf in the same room facing opposite walls. But we both work from home. When I start working from an office, then perhaps I won't be online as much when I'm home.

CTSLICK
06-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Just a quick question, I see that some of you guys are married, yet you still have so much time for internet, forums, etc. How did you find all the time to do that ? What did your spouse said about your online time ?.

My wife goes to bed early...around 9PM...the kids are in bed around 8:30. I'm off to bed around 11pm so I have built in browsing time. Of course I am at work right now...some people take smoke breaks or coffee breaks, I take internet breaks :)

maximus
06-03-2003, 01:49 AM
To me, 24 hours a day is never enough. I really miss those high school/undergrad years. When basically we can just pass the days doing nothing at all. Life was hectic these days, with several priorities going on at the same time.

Yeah, same here. My only free internet time is, of course, during internet breaks. That should change once we are self-employed.

And I dont quite understand the difference between a girlfriend and a wife. Married folks, any insight on this matter ? Is married life is really that different ?

Kati Compton
06-03-2003, 03:27 AM
To me, 24 hours a day is never enough.
Some of that could be that she's working abroad....

And I dont quite understand the difference between a girlfriend and a wife. Married folks, any insight on this matter ? Is married life is really that different ?
Depends on the people in the relationship. Some relationships are the same either way. Others change. When I got married I felt more secure in the relationship, and so was less worried about things like my husband thinking other women were... uh... pretty. It makes it harder to leave, which can force you to work out differences that you may not have otherwise. It means there's someone around long-term that you can plan your life around. Whether the marriage lasts or not, most people at least for a while assume it will, and that feeling can provide a great deal of comfort and happiness.

But it can also make you argue over which way the toilet paper faces (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12469&start=20)

Pony99CA
06-03-2003, 03:35 AM
To me, 24 hours a day is never enough.
Some of that could be that she's working abroad....
That was my guess. If they were together more often, they may need their "alone time", which would allow Maximus time to surf.

Steve

maximus
06-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Perhpas you are correct. Distance tends to create extra romance. We planned to get married next year, she'll move back to singapore. Let's see if I really have more surfing time as a married man. :D

Now about married life. Most of my friends are married, and frankly speaking, looking at their married life made me feel scared. My best pal at the office has 2 kids, 7 years old and 5 years old. Both of them are out of control. Once I did a grocery shopping together with this family, one of the kid wants a candybar. The mother says no, and the 7 years old were screaming and crying REALLY LOUD. The 5 years old got carried away with her brother, and starts to roll on the floor, screaming and kicking. He accidently rolled into a pile of canned food, which sends the can all the way accross the supermarket. That was a totally scary experience.

Now lets talk about parenting those 2 kids. That is a full time job for the parents, not to mention their daily office work. Uh, a really tough life.

Pony99CA
06-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Now about married life. Most of my friends are married, and frankly speaking, looking at their married life made me feel scared. My best pal at the office has 2 kids, 7 years old and 5 years old. Both of them are out of control. Once I did a grocery shopping together with this family, one of the kid wants a candybar. The mother says no, and the 7 years old were screaming and crying REALLY LOUD. The 5 years old got carried away with her brother, and starts to roll on the floor, screaming and kicking. He accidently rolled into a pile of canned food, which sends the can all the way accross the supermarket. That was a totally scary experience.
You realize that marriage doesn't have to include children, right? :-)

Steve

Jhokur2k
06-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Definitely does not have to involve children! As for my gf and I, we're both computer nuts, me more so than her, but she's into it enough we'll both have computers of our own when we get married... and we both don't want kids - that's something you need to talk over with your gf. Important stuff to know.

Kati Compton
06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Now about married life. Most of my friends are married, and frankly speaking, looking at their married life made me feel scared. My best pal at the office has 2 kids, 7 years old and 5 years old.
I'd have to guess that having kids would reduce online time for most geeks. But on the other hand, it requires that you're home more, and if you're watching kids play on their own (all kids need some self time too!) you could surf if you're good at multi-tasking your attention.

Steven Cedrone
06-03-2003, 11:56 PM
What the *&^% did you guys do to my thread??? It's so off topic, it's beyond repair... :wink:

Steve

Crystal Eitle
06-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Well, it is in the "Just Chattin'" forum. Besides, it's very educational....

Kaber
06-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Where else could we find out about the upcoming paid subscriber benefits, but in a crazy mixed up post like this?

And stop deleting my posts. Especially this one.

(i can already hear strong bad saying "DELETED")

Steven Cedrone
06-04-2003, 01:51 AM
(i can already hear strong bad saying "DELETED")

DELETED!!! :wink:

Actually, so far I have gone through approx. 175 threads and about 400 posts (since Monday)...

The mobile forums are very usable! I've said it before and I'll say it again, they rock!!!

When I get back, I'll show you the setup that I am using to check the forums (yes, I took some pictures)...

I am staying right near the sight of the famous NYC Pocket PC Fanfest (The Supper Club). Ahhh, the memories!!!

On a side note: Got onto an elevator this afternoon in Rockefeller Plaza and rode 34 floors listening to James Belushi and Dan Akroyd talking about children throwing temper tantrums!!!

Steve

dh
06-04-2003, 02:02 AM
What the *&^% did you guys do to my thread??? It's so off topic, it's beyond repair... :wink:Steve
When the cats away.........

maximus
06-04-2003, 04:05 AM
I'd have to guess that having kids would reduce online time for most geeks. But on the other hand, it requires that you're home more, and if you're watching kids play on their own (all kids need some self time too!) you could surf if you're good at multi-tasking your attention.

Kati you are correct. That is exactly what I have in my mind. Let the kid play, let the mother take care of them, and I'll be surfing. HA HA. just kidding.

You realize that marriage doesn't have to include children, right?

Both of us really want kids. If you dont want kids, what is the purpose of the marriage ? You would like someone to take care of you when you are old, right ?

Imagine this, you are 60. Spouse passed away several years ago. No kids. You live alone. That is a very lonely life, dont you think ? When you are ill, noone is there to take care of you, noone is there to drive you to the hospital, no one to boil you some hot soup to lessen the cold ... and when you died, no one will notice until weeks later, when your neighbour finally catch that foul smelling odor emanating from your apartment. :|

You might have millions of dollar in your bank/investment accounts, you can use the money to travel around the world, buy yourself a private jet, but remember ... you are going to travel alone. What is the fun of travelling to paris alone ?

Nothing is comparable to being surrounded by loving persons (spouse, children, grandchildren, etc.) around you :)

maximus
06-04-2003, 04:08 AM
What the *&^% did you guys do to my thread??? It's so off topic, it's beyond repair... :wink:Steve

BTW, Steve, how is your trip ? Did you travel ALONE ? :wink:

Steven Cedrone
06-04-2003, 05:40 AM
BTW, Steve, how is your trip ? Did you travel ALONE ? :wink:

So far, so good, Mr. Threadhijacker... :wink:

I have not run into any problems with my decision to only use a Pocket PC...

Yes, I'm traveling alone. I'm giving the family a break from having to deal with me!!!

Steve

Kati Compton
06-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Both of us really want kids. If you dont want kids, what is the purpose of the marriage ?
I can think of lots of reasons one might want to be married that might not include having children. Just because you love each other, doesn't mean you want kids.

Imagine this, you are 60. Spouse passed away several years ago. No kids. You live alone. That is a very lonely life, dont you think ?
True. Though you can make friends. And your children aren't absolutely guaranteed to take care of you - or even *like* you for that matter. Probably, yes. Guaranteed, no.

Having children, and giving them the time they deserve, is a huge time commitment. Many people aren't willing to make that commitment to do it right, and while I may want kids one day, I can't blame them.

maximus
06-04-2003, 09:40 AM
True. Though you can make friends. And your children aren't absolutely guaranteed to take care of you - or even *like* you for that matter. Probably, yes. Guaranteed, no.

Well, when you have kids, and they turn out to hate you .. then you can say that you tried, but you failed. At least you gave them the chance to experience life. :)

Pony99CA
06-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Well, when you have kids, and they turn out to hate you .. then you can say that you tried, but you failed. At least you gave them the chance to experience life. :)
Some people don't think that's a good reason to have children, especially with the world population as it is (or the world in general :-)).

Steve

maximus
06-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Well, adding 1 more life to the existing 3,000,000,000 should be OK, right ? :)

Jhokur2k
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
um try 6 billion worldwide, and that's a rough figure...

Pony99CA
06-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, adding 1 more life to the existing 3,000,000,000 should be OK, right ? :)
Wow, I can almost feel the topic drifting further and further off course. When will Steve C. move this to a new thread? :-) Anyway....

Adding one person may not matter, but if a billion people feel the same way, it becomes a problem -- especially when they have more than two children.

By the way, don't get the idea that I'm anti-children; I have a daughter. :-)

Steve

Kati Compton
06-04-2003, 05:04 PM
It's not like it's murder if you don't have kids!

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 02:06 AM
Wow, I can almost feel the topic drifting further and further off course. When will Steve C. move this to a new thread? :-)

I was actually going to split this thread tonight...

The I thought: What the heck, let it take whatever direction it does - it was a thread started by me afterall ;-)

Just wanted to add another observation: tonight was the first time I ever saw a 24oz can of Bud. Not only that, but in NY, as long as it's covered up, you can walk down the street sippin' your brew!!!

Steve

275 threads / 742 posts - On the Jornada.

Janak: I noticed some Verizon telephones with wireless access points on them. I'm going to try them tomorrow...

maximus
06-05-2003, 03:13 AM
A phone with wifi ? Is that the sony 50505 ? If that is the one, I have seen it a while back on an electronic show in japan, but sony folks said that it is prototype only, not for public usage yet. It actually plays a streamed video at 30 fps. Cool gadget. too bad it only carries memory sticks.

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 03:43 AM
A phone with wifi ? Is that the sony 50505 ? If that is the one, I have seen it a while back on an electronic show in japan, but sony folks said that it is prototype only, not for public usage yet. It actually plays a streamed video at 30 fps. Cool gadget. too bad it only carries memory sticks.

These are pay telephones with WIFI access points built in. AFAIK, you can walk up to them and surf the web. I'll let you know if it works...

Steve

Kati Compton
06-05-2003, 03:46 AM
Talk about derailing a thread...

Where did this come from???

Probably from your post immediately prior..... 8)

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Talk about derailing a thread...

Where did this come from???

Probably from your post immediately prior..... 8)

Yes, I realised that my prior post was a little confusing. That's why I edited it. Don't you have work to do??? :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
06-05-2003, 03:54 AM
Yes, I realised that my prior post was a little confusing. That's why I edited it. Don't you have work to do??? :wink:

Yes. And while I wait for the point of execution in my program to get to the horrible bug I'm trying to fix, I'm taking my frustrations out on you. ;)

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 04:00 AM
Yes. And while I wait for the point of execution in my program to get to the horrible bug I'm trying to fix, I'm taking my frustrations out on you. ;)

I just realized how many posts you've made since Sunday...

I'm going to disable your account!!! :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
06-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Which gives you a hint as to how frustrated I am. But you'll soon have a half-hour without a post from me - the Daily Show is starting.

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 04:09 AM
Which gives you a hint as to how frustrated I am. But you'll soon have a half-hour without a post from me - the Daily Show is starting.

Enjoy...

I feel a rant coming on:

This hotel I'm staying at is costing U.S. $289.00/night...

Do you think they would throw in Internet access? Hell no: it's U.S. $9.95/24hrs (noon to noon) for "Web TV", or U.S. $14.95/24hrs (noon to noon) for standard Internet Access (which is what I am using for my "experiment")...

I think it's a total rip-off... :roll:

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-05-2003, 05:16 AM
Just wanted to add another observation: tonight was the first time I ever saw a 24oz can of Bud. Not only that, but in NY, as long as it's covered up, you can walk down the street sippin' your brew!!!
And how is this different from other places?

Janak: I noticed some Verizon telephones with wireless access points on them. I'm going to try them tomorrow...
Cool. Do you have DSL at home?

I'm going to disable your account!!! :wink:
Don't do that. Kati might jump out of a window if she can't take her frustrations out somewhere. :lol:

What, exactly, did you expect? This is New York. (Ok, so actually, that's pretty expensive for NYC too, I hope the room is pretty good....)

--janak

Kati Compton
06-05-2003, 05:31 AM
And how is this different from other places?

As far as I know, around here you're not allowed to have an open container in public.

A hotel I was at recently charged me $5.60 for the first minute of local or long distance calls, and tried to tell me that those charges were in line with all hotels. :evil: They wouldn't take back the charges, so I told the school that flew me out and chose the hotel for me to not put anyone there anymore. :twisted:

maximus
06-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Uh, are you saying that you cannot walk in a mall with an opened soda can in your hand ?

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 01:41 PM
AFAIK, in PA, you can't have an open beer (or wine) regardless of the fact that it's "hidden"...

On the hotel: the web page lists the room for U.S $390/night. So, I guess I should be happy I have a corporate discount. :roll: Is the room worth it? I don't think so (I'll post pics when I get back and let you all decide)... :wink:

Steve

maximus
06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
And I thought singapore is the worst place in the world in term of regulation. no chewing gum in public places ... no smoking ini public places ... but there is actually a place that disallow drinking in public places .. heheh.

So, how was the trip ? got any problem with PPC only yet ?

Jason Dunn
06-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Just a quick question, I see that some of you guys are married, yet you still have so much time for internet, forums, etc. How did you find all the time to do that ? What did your spouse said about your online time ?

My wife Ashley is very supportive of my "geekiness", but as with all things in life, balance is important. She knows it's important to me, so she gives me time to play my computer games, check email before bed, etc. From my side, I try to make sure that I get as much done when I'm alone (work) so that then she does get home, I have some time to spend with her. :ppclove:

Both you and your girlfriend have different needs, so the trick is to find a middle ground. Suggest something like "let me be a geek for an hour, then we'll go shopping for an hour". If she doesn't like that, then she may have problems being alone or self-sufficient, and that's a whole different can of worms. :worried:

Jason Dunn
06-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Now about married life. Most of my friends are married, and frankly speaking, looking at their married life made me feel scared. My best pal at the office has 2 kids, 7 years old and 5 years old. Both of them are out of control...

As someone else pointed out, married life does not have to include kids. As part of the process to decide if your current girlfriend is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, have the conversation about kids. Do you want to have them? The answer doesn't have to be yes. If so, when? The timing doesn't have to be right away. Ashley and I agreed that we wanted to have kids eventually, but that we'd wait about six years after we were married to start a family. That gave us time to spend with each other, and time to mature as people so we were ready for kids. :D

Maybe we should split this whole girlfriend/wife/kids thread off into a new topic...

Kati Compton
06-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Uh, are you saying that you cannot walk in a mall with an opened soda can in your hand ?
No - it only applies to booze.

Kaber
06-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Maybe we should split this whole girlfriend/wife/kids thread off into a new topic...

Nah. There's no way to fix it now.

And definately have the talk about kids before you start planning for a wedding. I can't stress that enough.

Jhokur2k
06-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Never say never...

Jhokur2k
06-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to add another observation: tonight was the first time I ever saw a 24oz can of Bud.

Hehe you need to come out to California - I've seen 40oz Budweiser cans for sale on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk :D

Sunnyone
06-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't drink it all before it got warm :razz:

and I can't stand warm beer!

M@
06-05-2003, 05:42 PM
There's a lot of beers that are supposed to be room temp.

Kaber
06-05-2003, 05:55 PM
There's a lot of beers that are supposed to be room temp.

Budweiser is not one of those beers.

Has anyone ever seen the 64oz bottles of Old English 800 malt liquor?

Jhokur2k
06-05-2003, 11:20 PM
LOL It's been a looooong time since I've seen that... looked for a pic online - couldn't find one, although one site said an 80oz version was coming 8O

Steven Cedrone
06-05-2003, 11:28 PM
My,My...

You all really do know how to steer a thread completely off topic... :wink:

As long as you remain on topic in the other forums/threads, I give you permission to "stray" here... ;-)

So far, my only problems with my Pocket PC only experiment are mostly becase of IE and not the mobile forums. That and the fact that I'm a little slower with the mobile version (but getting faster every day)...

I am now at: 358 threads/1038 posts viewed in PIE...

Steve

Kaber
06-05-2003, 11:46 PM
He's like a machine! :robot:

Jhokur2k
06-06-2003, 12:52 AM
The Cedronenator? :lol: We're just giving you ample fodder to test the forums - if you didn't keep coming back to see how bad this thread has been mangled... I don't know what would happen :D

Kaber
06-06-2003, 12:59 AM
STEVDOR the Moderat0r

Stevdor was a man
No, he was a machine-man
Maybe, he was just a machine
But he was still
STEVDOR!
Moderating the forum
Moderating all the peoples

And the Stevdor comes in the NIIIIIIIIGHT!

(oh man i love me some strong bad)

Kati Compton
06-06-2003, 01:06 AM
But he was still
STEVDOR!
Moderating the forum
Moderating all the peoples

I happen to be wearing one of my Strong Bad t-shirts right now. :)

Kaber
06-06-2003, 01:08 AM
I want one of those Teen Girl Squad shirts.

Kati Compton
06-06-2003, 01:14 AM
I want one of those Teen Girl Squad shirts.
I don't like Teen Girl Squad nearly as much as Dragon, Japanese cartoon, Guitar, the Halloween cartoons, etc.

Steven Cedrone
06-06-2003, 03:24 AM
Ha!!! You guys are too much!!!

Stevdor :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-06-2003, 03:37 AM
Ha!!! You guys are too much!!!
Agreed. Totally. Yet we have a brilliant group of people here. :D

Only requirement I have of "STEVDOR": make sure you shriek it like Strong Bad in the song. Do it out loud. Now. ;)

--janak

maximus
06-06-2003, 04:55 AM
Both you and your girlfriend have different needs, so the trick is to find a middle ground. Suggest something like "let me be a geek for an hour, then we'll go shopping for an hour". If she doesn't like that, then she may have problems being alone or self-sufficient, and that's a whole different can of worms.

Actually, I consider my axim as the true saviour of our relationship. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I am doing a LOT of internet surfing by GPRS and wifi, while accompanying her to malls, restaurants, gyms, social functions, and other outdoor places. She is nice enough to pretend that she didnt see my axim running on GPRS. he heh.

There were a lot of times where she is on threadmill, doing 10mph runs, while I am sitting on a bench, pretending to be performing some bench-press, while actually I was browsing away. he heh. AXIM, the true saviour of life. That sounds like a good commercial.

Jhokur2k
06-06-2003, 04:58 AM
I could see it now... "You want light weight organization, you get a Palm". Zire's being smashed by free weights... "When you need power to get it done, you get a Pocket PC"

I tell ya, I should be in marketing :roll: :lol:

maximus
06-06-2003, 05:05 AM

And uh, by the way, the thread "missdirection" is purely accidental. Sorry for that. No bad intention intended. Furthermore, I think it is quite a done topic by now.

I will be travelling to hongkong next week. But, I dont think I have the nerve to leave my laptop home, since my job requires lotsa typing (reports, management actions, etc.), and I still prefer the 15" screen of my laptop.

PHactotum
06-06-2003, 06:37 AM
I originally purchased my first Pocket PC to travel without a laptop. I was going on a two week vacation by train, and my wife said no laptop.

I talked her into letting me by an e740 with a few additions. Several hundered dollars later I was reading email on a train between Chicago and California.

Quite cool.

I'm not sure I could take a business trip without one though. Can't get to the corporate Notes server with it. At least not yet (http://www-1.ibm.com/industries/wireless/doc/content/solution/278603104.html).

I also haven't figured out how to view pictures from my Olympus Digital camera on my e740 without a PC to transfer between. The camera uses smart media, the e740 SD and CF. :?

Kaber
06-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I've totaly given up lugging around my Compaq Armada (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/lab_now.jpg). Anyone familiar with them know they are tanks as far as laptops are concerned.

I can do just about anything with my ipaq (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/darthipaq2.jpg), a backpack fulla crap (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/ipaq_crap.jpg), about $350 dollars in software, and a ton of freeware.

Sure, its a backpack, but this is California. We aren't so uptight... or professional.

u make the call!

Kaber
06-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Do it out loud. Now. ;)
--janak

I'd give anything to get thaT damn song out of my head now. It's been playing in the back of my mind since I left work earlier today.

disconnected
06-06-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure I remember what the original topic was, but on the subject of non-geek spouses ------- I think they can be converted; you just need the right apps that correspond to their interests.

I gave my husband my old iPAQ, and he igored it for a while, but I put a couple of silly games on it, and he got kind of hooked on them, and then I downloaded some books for him and by the time he finished them he was hooked on ebooks too, to the extent that he eventually figured out how to download books himself.

My latest toy, er tool, is a GPS receiver. Usually my husband drives, and I navigate. This is now much easier (and less stressful :) ) for both of us, and entertaining as well.
Maybe an outdoorsy type spouse would enjoy this for hiking as well.

maximus
06-08-2003, 02:42 AM
My latest toy, er tool, is a GPS receiver. Usually my husband drives, and I navigate. This is now much easier (and less stressful ) for both of us, and entertaining as well.
Maybe an outdoorsy type spouse would enjoy this for hiking as well.

This is actually a very good advice. Let me try find ways to integrate a PPC into her life. :)

So Steve C, any new news on your trip ? Any idea on how to make an outdoorsy girl, who works in the area of fashion design/media/advertising, to start liking PPCs ? She sure can use the pocket informant. Any idea on other apps that might make her interested in this little-geeky-thing called "PPC" ?

Steven Cedrone
06-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Just catchin' up with things around the house (plus, took the kids to a WWII weekend thing - it was cool!)...

I'll post my promised pictures tomorrow...

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-08-2003, 02:40 PM
As promised, some pictures from part one of my trip...

Here is the hotel room - W Times Square (in my opinion, not worth the cost :roll: )

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/room1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/room2.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/bathroom.jpg

I agree with disconnected when he wrote: (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13267)

I want the lightbulbs to be strong enough to read by, and see by. (I once stayed at a W hotel in Chicago which was way too cool and trendy; the ceilings were black, and all the lights were like little spotlights; you could read by them, but if you weren't right under one you couldn't even find the clothes in your suitcase.

Anyway, upon reflection I was probably paying for the view anyway :wink: :

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/view1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/view2.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/view3.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/view4.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/view5.jpg

Here is a quick snapshot of what I thought was the biggest can of Bud I had ever seen :beer: :

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/beer.jpg

Here is a close up of my setup. Yes, it is a Jornada 548 (In my opinion, one of the best Pocket PC's ever made - metal case, very "professional" looking, etc.). It will be retired when the new OS comes out, and the new devices are officially announced ( I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of this great device)... :way to go:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/setup.jpg

As you can see (in both the beer photo and the setup photo) I am moderating the forums using the mobile forums template (and I have to say it yet again: the mobile template rocks!!! :rock on dude!:

I am trying to decide what to do for week two. I may use a combination Pocket PC, Internet Cafe type strategy to moderate the forums, what do you think???

Any questions, feel free to ask!!!

Steve

maximus
06-08-2003, 02:48 PM
what is this "internet cafe strategy" ?

there is a cable plugged onto the top of your jornada. what is that ?

Steven Cedrone
06-08-2003, 04:40 PM
what is this "internet cafe strategy" ?

there is a cable plugged onto the top of your jornada. what is that ?

The Internet Cafe strategy: Alternate between using the mobile forums (say, when I wake up in the AM), then going to an Internet Cafe near the hotel and using a computer there (paying $x.xx/per minute) after work...

The wire in the top of the Jornada: that's a lan card with a CAT 5 cable connected to it (no WIFI at the hotel)...

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-08-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree with disconnected when he wrote: (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13267)
BTW, I think Disconnected's female. ;)

I am trying to decide what to do for week two. I may use a combination Pocket PC, Internet Cafe type strategy to moderate the forums, what do you think???
I do believe there are several Internet cafes right around Times Square, but I've never used 'em. You could also do the "come up to Janak's office in the evening and surf on a nice PC" trick. :)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
06-09-2003, 01:47 AM
BTW, I think Disconnected's female. ;)

:oops: Sorry Disconnected...

I do believe there are several Internet cafes right around Times Square, but I've never used 'em. You could also do the "come up to Janak's office in the evening and surf on a nice PC" trick. :)

I may just try both!!! :wink:

Steve

Reinaldo
06-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Hey Steve, couple of questions from a former Jornada owner:

First: Since I see no annoying cover on the photos, do you put your stylus in the case? If you do, what kind of case is it? I looked arround for the perfect case but in the end stuck with the annoying stylus slot on the cover until it fell out. :|

2nd: How long have you had your device? It looks like new from the photos but I guess its just because of the resolution.

In my opinion, one of the best Pocket PC's ever made - metal case, very "professional" looking, etc

Ditto. The Jornada was the longest lasting Pocket PC that I ever had (9 happy months). The other ones were fragil compared to it. I still hope that a PPC manufacturer will bring back to life the design...

disconnected
06-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Quite all right, Steve. "Disconnected" isn't a name with any gender clues. :)

And I'm glad you agree with me about the W. I thought I'd have to hire a seeing-eye dog before I left.

Steven Cedrone
06-09-2003, 05:09 AM
First: Since I see no annoying cover on the photos, do you put your stylus in the case? If you do, what kind of case is it? I looked around for the perfect case but in the end stuck with the annoying stylus slot on the cover until it fell out. :|

Gave up on the cover (after a tab broke), it's an EB slipper case...

2nd: How long have you had your device? It looks like new from the photos but I guess its just because of the resolution.

No, it has been babied since about a day or so after the original launch of the Pocket PC. I remember seeing all of these Microsoft employees with the device, and I thought "good enough for them, good enough for me". Remember, the Ipaq was just a dream at that point, mock ups, but no working devices to show enthusiasts. So, it has been around for quite a few years...

The resolution is low, but if you want I'll send you a high res photo... :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-09-2003, 05:21 AM
O.K...

Round two of my experiment, this time:

1) I use my Jornada for email and mobile forums every morning (May have to depend on Starbucks as my hotel does not advertise Internet access)...

2) I use whatever I can find for the afternoon/evening (Should be interesting to "dig" for info on available PC's (free or for "rent")in a given area without knowledge of said area prior to trip)...

Worst case scenario: I beg Janak for a few hours of 'Net time at BigDaddyJ HQ every night... :wink:

I'll let you know what happens...

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Well, here I am moderating the forums on what has to be the worst keyboard ever! It's a web TV hotel thing, and it really sucks!!!

I pity anyone that uses one of these things!! Just this sentance alone had 9 errors....

Must find alternative to this...

Did I mention the fact that this thing really, really, really sucks!!

Steve

Kati Compton
06-10-2003, 03:37 AM
I pity anyone that uses one of these things!! Just this sentance alone had 9 errors....
One of which is the spelling of "sentence".

But don't worry, that's not as bad as when I misspelled that same word throughout all my essay questions on the English AP exam at the end of high school. Got out of 2-3 college English classes anyway - standards must be low. ;)

Steven Cedrone
06-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Well, I still don't have a spell checker, but at least I now have a keyboard that works a little better. You just can't imagine how bad the other one was: for every three letters typed, at least one key did not register. I almost threw the keyboard out the window...

Anyway, this trip continues to be a tour down "Pocket PC Memory Lane" The hotel I am now staying at was where the 2001 Mobile Experience Tour took place. Were any of you there???

Please ignore all spelling mistakes until Friday night ;-)

Steve

Kati Compton
06-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Please ignore all spelling mistakes until Friday night ;-)
OK - we'll all save up until then. :twisted:

Thinkingman
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
wow, this thread has gone through a few topics:) i think it is cool. when he first posted what he was going to do i thought that is crazy. I guess because when I go on trips i love to take my laptop wiht me. I to love the bigger screen size. it has been one of my complaints of ppc's, not enough screen size.
oh, you could tell disconnected was female by the way...:)
those were some nice photos, i do think you are paying for the view and just because it is NYC.
it will be interesting to see your posts after you have had time to reflect on your trip when you get back to your home.

Thinkingmandavid
06-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I am wondering about the mobile forums.
paying for something? mmmm, I guess it out weighs the price it might be worth it.
:mrgreen:

maximus
06-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Well, if there is a download section packed with commercial applications for free .. why not ? :)

I am just wondering how much is the subscription fee.

Steven Cedrone
06-12-2003, 03:06 AM
O.K., quick update...

My new room has no CAT 5 and no WIFI... :evil:

I tried the Web TV route, it was UGLY...

I went to Bryant park to use free WIFI, my Jornada's screen bit me in the a$$ on that one...

I am now in an Internet Cafe (The Cybercafe), drinking coffee and catching up on the 157 threads that have been posted to since I went "missing"...

What happens between now and Friday???

Janak has offered to allow me to get online tomorrow to check on the forums at the BigDaddyJ HQ, not too far from where I am now...

Friday evening I will be back home using my high speed connection...

So, all in all, I lost about 1 1/2 days of watching the forums. I hope you have all been nice to eachother!!! (I'm checking now)

Had I been using a Pocket PC 2002 device, the park would have been an ideal solution (Morning coffee, lunch, and an hour or so after dinner)...

Steve

Janak Parekh
06-12-2003, 04:25 AM
I hope you have all been nice to eachother!!!
They've been good. Mostly. :lol:

--janak

maximus
06-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Perhaps the jornada needs to be replaced with a new device already :wink:

Steven Cedrone
06-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Perhaps the jornada needs to be replaced with a new device already :wink:

As soon as the new devices are announced, I am there!!! :way to go:

Steve

Crystal Eitle
06-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Okay, I'm a little late on this one, but as long as people are bringing up gender, that is one of the weirdest things to me about online communities. Unless people provide explicit clues, it's difficult to know what gender they are, and the default assumption is male.

There are a couple people on PPCT I wonder about. I assumed PiperPilot was a girl because of the Hello Kitty avatar, but now I'm not so sure. (Also, the biggest Hello Kitty fan I know is a guy, so maybe that was a silly assumption on my part.)

Janak Parekh
06-12-2003, 10:56 PM
There are a couple people on PPCT I wonder about. I assumed PiperPilot was a girl because of the Hello Kitty avatar, but now I'm not so sure. (Also, the biggest Hello Kitty fan I know is a guy, so maybe that was a silly assumption on my part.)
It happens to be correct in this case, though. :) But yes, I wonder if anyone has done research on corresponding avatars, names and/or writing styles to genders -- and if people try to "fake" it (which I'm pretty sure some do).

--janak

Steven Cedrone
06-12-2003, 11:27 PM
One more update...

After passing through major security checkpoints, and leaving numerous hair/tissue samples, I have been admitted into the BigDaddyJ HQ/Proving Grounds...

I must say, I am very impressed! I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you... :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted:

My final thoughts about these two weeks of "light" travel will come Manana...

Steve

Kati Compton
06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
After passing through major security checkpoints, and leaving numerous hair/tissue samples, I have been admitted into the BigDaddyJ HQ/Proving Grounds...

I must say, I am very impressed! I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you... :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted:
I see you right now in an aerial surveillance photo of the compound.... ;)

Kati Compton
06-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Okay, I'm a little late on this one, but as long as people are bringing up gender, that is one of the weirdest things to me about online communities. Unless people provide explicit clues, it's difficult to know what gender they are, and the default assumption is male.
While I try to remain gender-neutral if I don't know, frankly I usually assume people are male online unless the name points the other way. Mainly because usually that's correct where I tend to hang out. :(

maximus
06-13-2003, 12:46 AM
As for myself, I actually think that everyone else (other than myself) are female. That is the kind of world that I dreamt of. ha ha. Maybe that is the reason why smaller form factor PPCs (2200, 1910, etc.) are so popular. Now lets get back to the original topic :wink:

Janak Parekh
06-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Actually, on weekends, one does have to swipe three times to get into my office building. And then there's the key or door code on top of all that... :lol:

BTW, in case people are wondering, Steve is also an awesome guy in person. Jason's very lucky to have found him.

--janak

Thinkingman
06-13-2003, 04:09 AM
Well, it is good to hear that Janak. I think it is cool you got to meet him.
I am wondering how many people step out and do what he did? I know he did it as an experiment for himself, but how many individuals are already, or have been all along doing that as a way of life for themselves?

maximus
06-13-2003, 02:29 PM
BTW, in case people are wondering, Steve is also an awesome guy in person. Jason's very lucky to have found him.

So, you never actually met him in person ?

Janak Parekh
06-13-2003, 03:57 PM

So, you never actually met him in person ?
I met him for the first time yesterday. :)

--janak

maximus
06-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Maybe sometimes from now, we should consider a gathering. Worldwide gathering: pocketpcthoughts.com members. Will be a cool event. :)

Kati Compton
06-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Maybe sometimes from now, we should consider a gathering. Worldwide gathering: pocketpcthoughts.com members. Will be a cool event. :)
OK - we'll all be at your place, next Friday @ 6pm. See you then! :D

maximus
06-14-2003, 12:58 AM
OK - we'll all be at your place, next Friday @ 6pm. See you then!

Boohoo!

Hey, if there are gatherings like E3 or photokina, there should be one for pocketpc users, where the fans can finally have a chance to meet kati42 and other senior member of the board. :D

Kati Compton
06-14-2003, 01:39 AM
Hey, if there are gatherings like E3 or photokina, there should be one for pocketpc users, where the fans can finally have a chance to meet kati42 and other senior member of the board. :D
I won't be "senior" for many more decades. :razzing:

Steven Cedrone
06-14-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm back...I'm finally back!!!

Well, as promised, here are my thoughts:
1.) Viewing this site on a Pocket PC (including the forums), is not only doable, but it rocks!!! :rock on dude!:

2.) When travelling, make sure you know what kind of access you will have to the 'Net. Plan in advance. Have a fallback plan: as we say in diving: plan your dive, dive your plan... :wink:

3.) Web TV (at least the hotel version I used) is evil!!! :evil:

4.) WIFI hotspots rock!!! :rock on dude!: (unless you are outside with an old Pocket PC :cry: )

5.) Internet cafe's rock!!! :rock on dude!:

6.) People that you have never met before that let you use their systems and bandwidth rock!!! :rock on dude!:

7.) Travel is cool, getting back home rocks!!! :rock on dude!:

8.) I love to use the word "rocks" about as much as I like this :rock on dude!: emotion!!!

I had a great time these past two weeks. It was an interesting experiment...

Janak is a great guy, and I was very happy to finally meet him!!! :way to go:

We have a great community here!!! I was "nervous" this last week leaving the forums somewhat open as I struggled to get Internet access. As I went through all of the unread posts, it occurred to me how great a group of people this community has...

Another thought I had: I wonder how many of you I have "bumped" into at shows and other events (like the fanfest's, launches, etc) and I never knew it.

It would be really cool to meet all of you, we should all go to Calgary and show up at Jason's house... :wink:

Steve

maximus
06-14-2003, 04:45 PM
It would be really cool to meet all of you, we should all go to Calgary and show up at Jason's house...

Would someone please send a roundtrip ticket (singapore-calgary-singapore) to my address please ? :D

Janak Parekh
06-14-2003, 07:51 PM
It would be really cool to meet all of you, we should all go to Calgary and show up at Jason's house...
Would someone please send a roundtrip ticket (singapore-calgary-singapore) to my address please ? :D
Just you wait. The way airline fares and popularity are nowadays, it'll be free before long. :lol:

--janak

Kati Compton
06-15-2003, 02:09 AM
Just you wait. The way airline fares and popularity are nowadays, it'll be free before long. :lol:
Then why are tickets Chicago <-> Lisbon ~$1300? 8O

Janak Parekh
06-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Then why are tickets Chicago <-> Lisbon ~$1300? 8O
Because it's currently considered "safe", so everyone's going there? ;)

--janak

maximus
06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
so, what is the price for the unsafe one ? :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
07-11-2003, 12:03 AM
It would be really cool to meet all of you, we should all go to Calgary and show up at Jason's house... :wink:

8O WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! 8O

I *knew* I should have been monitoring this thread...

Kati Compton
07-11-2003, 12:13 AM

Hmm... I will be in Vancouver later this month... maybe I can make a side trip....

maximus
07-11-2003, 02:02 AM
kati: stay on topic! ha-ha.

Janak Parekh
07-11-2003, 03:39 AM
You mean... you're not ready for our visit tomorrow morning? :lol:

--janak

Kati Compton
07-11-2003, 03:49 AM
kati: stay on topic! ha-ha.

It's in "Just Chattin'" And Steve started it. :razzing: