View Full Version : Any use (aside from the new button) on the lower task bar?

binstpa
05-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Is there any use for the bar on the bottom of the screen aside from allowing me to create a new whatever. Is there any application that makes use of it. I have seen a couple of screen shots where people's machines have an icon or something in it. Is it a running program? I just hate wasted space and would like to exploit any thing that I can.

Kati Compton
05-29-2003, 11:03 PM
I think the new version of WISbar that will be coming out at some point may let you do something with it (on the Today screen only). I may be wrong, though - that functionality may be on the future to-do list, not the list for the upcoming release.

Janak Parekh
05-29-2003, 11:05 PM
binstpa, couple points:

1. As you suspect, a number of programs run in the "tray" on the Today screen on the bottom-right. That's what you're seeing. There might be apps that let you put arbitrary things there (like a tray launcher, much like some freeware apps for desktops), but I haven't looked for that myself.

2. When you're running a program, of course, that bottom bar becomes the menu bar.

--janak

binstpa
05-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks Janek,

I understand that the tray becomes the menu within programs. I was just curious to know if there was something that made use of it when you are on the today screen. It seems kind of pointless for me. I wish you could hide it.

doogald
05-30-2003, 12:00 AM
The latest Pocket Informant puts an icon there when it is running in the background.

JonnoB
05-30-2003, 12:08 AM
I have at least 5 programs there all of the time.

On my 568
- HP task switcher
- Conversay
- Emergency backup
- Symbol WiFi
- Themeswitcher

I have and had others too, but these are running all the time.

Sparkomatic
05-30-2003, 12:35 AM
SuperAlert puts an icon there too. :D

Anyone know when the next version of WisBar is coming out?

Kati Compton
05-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Anyone know when the next version of WisBar is coming out?
They keep saying "soon"....I can be pretty patient for free stuff, though. ;)

Pony99CA
05-30-2003, 02:20 AM
I have at least 5 programs there all of the time.

On my 568
- HP task switcher
- Conversay
- Emergency backup
- Symbol WiFi
- Themeswitcher

I have and had others too, but these are running all the time.
Not to mention:

ActiveSync
The iPAQ Bluetooth Manager
The Intersil WiFi driver
PHM Task Manager (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/taskmgr.asp)

Oops, I guess I did mention them. :-)

Steve