View Full Version : Japanese webshops/prices?

thomas1973
05-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I've got a friend who's going to Japan in a couple of months, and I was thinking about getting him to buy me some electronics :D I'm thinking about getting a digital camera, or maybe a lens for my Nikon SLR. And a big SD card would be nice! I also thought about getting a new PPC, but I guess they come with a Japanese OS?

The thing is, I'm having trouble finding any Japanese webshops or Japanese prices on the net. I would appreciate any links or tips!

Thanks,

Thomas.

PPCRules
05-27-2003, 09:51 PM
What I found to be true when I was in Japan (1991) was just what my hosts told me: in most cases, you can get stuff cheaper in the US (I realize you do not mention where you live). In fact, coming to the US to shop is a common thing for many Japanese, with the lower prices being a big part of that.

On the other hand, the selection of products in Japan is quite astounding. So, it's more a matter of getting something you can't get here than it is to get the same thing a whole lot cheaper. (I have always sorta regretted not getting a certain item I had spotted, thinking it would appear eventually in the US and it never has.) Of course, buying a unique item through a third party would present its own challenge.

thomas1973
05-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I guess the prices in the US are pretty good, especially now, with the dollar going dooown :byebye: . I live in Europe, in Scandinavia, to be more exact. Probably the most expensive place in the world, especially for electronics :( . Happily the now strong Scandinavian currencies make shopping in the US a real bargain :mrgreen:

So I guess you're right. I'll now try to get hold of someone I know that's going to the states...

However, it would be nice to get a new and special gadget from Japan, now that my friend is going. So do anyone have a link to a good Japanese electronics webshop?

Thomas.