View Full Version : Request for Help With Wireless e-mail

Tannhauser13
05-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi!

I am requesting help to determine why my IPAQ Pocket PC Model 3970 will not SEND e-mails in any format other than ActiveSync. Except for the ActiveSync format, I can RECEIVE e-mails, however I can't SEND them.

My options for sending e-mails are:
1) ActiveSync
2) A Sierra Wireless AirCard 555, which is connected to Verizon Wireless. (I live in Northern New Jersey.)
3) Using a wireless 802.11 LAN, either at home, or at colleges that have wireless LAN's set up.

There appear to be two options available for wireless e-mails, POP and IMAP4. I have been told that IMAP4 is the better way to go, because the technology is newer and smarter. However I can't get either one to work on my Pocket PC.

The fact that both the Verizon Wireless and the wireless 802.11 LAN formats don't work leads me to believe that the problem is with my Pocket PC and not with the wireless service providers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

dhettel
05-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I have had a 3870, a 3970, and a 5450 all of them would send and receive from my local POP e-mail account. I guess that it is either a configuration problem, or a problem with how you are connecting to your mail server.

Hard to tell with the information you have provided.

David

Tannhauser13
05-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Dear David:

Thank you for your response. At least now I know that it can be done. When I called Verizon Wireless, their technical service person said that their wireless service only supported incoming, and not outgoing e-mails. This made no sense. Your response confirms that this technical service person did not give me an accurate answer.

Sincerely,

Bob Sherman

dhettel
05-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Dear David:

Thank you for your response. At least now I know that it can be done. When I called Verizon Wireless, their technical service person said that their wireless service only supported incoming, and not outgoing e-mails. This made no sense. Your response confirms that this technical service person did not give me an accurate answer.

Sincerely,

Bob Sherman

Hmm, actually having had Verizon service for a while, I can find that statement very believeable. :( With POP at least it is two seperate services an incoming service, and an outgoing service.

I have used 802.11b to connect to my pop account, and also a 56k modem to connect. I do not find it worth while to connect through a cellular connection, to get my spam.

Most ISP require you to dial into, or be connected to their service directly in order to send mail. If they don't, then they (the ISP) are generally block as a spam source, or they require special software authorization that the ppc does not support.

David

Tannhauser13
05-28-2003, 01:32 AM
Dear David:

Very interesting!

I previously was using Verizon Wireless with a Sierra Wireless Air Card in my Pocket PC. The transmission rate is approx. 144 kbs, which is not great, but still faster than connecting to a cell phone. However, it costs $35.00 a month just for this separate service, and if you run over on your minutes, (which I did once or twice) it gets VERY EXPENSIVE! I had a couple of Verizon Wireless phone bills for up to $500!

The 802.11 wireless LAN card in my Pocket PC looks like a much more viable alternative. I can connect for free(with unlimited minutes) from my home wireless LAN. I can also connect at Starbucks and an increasing number of hotel lobbies and colleges. The wireless LAN option therefore frees me from having to connect to e-mail and the Internet through Verizon Wireless.

My ISP is Earthlink. I will now contact them for assistance on sending (and receiving) e-mails through them.

Again, your help is very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bob Sherman

Thinkingmandavid
05-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi, I use the internet service at starbucks, and just in case you dont know it isnt free. You have to pay T-Mobile for the service. If you want the cheap rate it is 29.99 a month wiht a one year contract, or no contract is 39.99 a month paying first and last up front. They also have pay as you use and prepaid. Check into it carefully or you will have more big bills:)

PetiteFlower
05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
If you are connecting to your home wireless LAN then you should be able to send emails without a problem; however earthlink will not likely allow you to send emails when connected through another connection (such as Starbucks); this is also probably why you could not send emails when connected to Verizon service with the Air card. As was stated, most ISPs do this to prevent spam from being sent through their servers.

Tannhauser13
06-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Dear Responders:

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with this additional information. I finally got my IPAQ to send wireless e-mails, (through my home wireless LAN) by using the following setting for Outgoing Mail: smtpauth.earthlink.net.

My thanks to all who helped me solve this problem! :D

Sincerely,

Bob Sherman