View Full Version : plam style address book for PPC

fatcat
05-27-2003, 04:41 AM
I just moved to an iPaq 3955 from a visor, and so far love it. But one thing that I would like to have is a palm style address book (i.e. user created categories) if anyone out there happens to know of a plug-in or a download I sure would like to know about it...

My many thanx

cat

Crystal Eitle
05-27-2003, 04:47 AM
I just moved to an iPaq 3955 from a visor, and so far love it. But one thing that I would like to have is a palm style address book (i.e. user created categories) if anyone out there happens to know of a plug-in or a download I sure would like to know about it...

My many thanx

cat

I'm pretty sure you can create new categories using Outlook (the built-in PIM app).

Or you could try out Pocket Informant, which is a wonderful PIM app for Pocket PC, and if that doesn't float your boat, you could try Agenda Fusion.

fatcat
05-27-2003, 05:35 AM
thanx very much for the ideas

Pony99CA
05-27-2003, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure you can create new categories using Outlook (the built-in PIM app).
Yes, you can create your own categories in Pocket Outlook. To create one when viewing or creating a contact, just tap the Categories field. You'll see a screen with all of your currently defined categories. Tap the Add/Delete tab at the bottom of the screen to modify your category list.

Not only that, but you can have more than 15 categories, which Palm can't (at least, not in one application). Also, the categories are available across applicatons, which they aren't in the Palm OS.

See Ed's article, Which PDA Is "Simple" Again? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5971), for more information.

Steve

Unreal32
06-26-2003, 05:12 AM
Not only that, but you can have more than 15 categories, which Palm can't (at least, not in one application). Also, the categories are available across applicatons, which they aren't in the Palm OS.

Not necessarily true any more. Chapura just put out a new application called KeySuite that allows seamless integration of all categories and other Outlook fields, plus goes beyond the original Palm limitations on categories, note length, and extra Outlook fields. IMHO, it looks more like Outlook than the PPC app. Granted, it's a pricey add-on software package, but this is less of a black-and-white issue than it used to be.

Janak Parekh
06-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Not necessarily true any more. Chapura just put out a new application called KeySuite that allows seamless integration of all categories and other Outlook fields, plus goes beyond the original Palm limitations on categories, note length, and extra Outlook fields.
It's not integrated into the OS, though, is it? My big problem with this is if I want to use a third-party notes or organizer app (say, Datebk4/5) I wouldn't get the benefits. I really want to see PalmSource end this limitation at the OS level once and for all.

--janak