View Full Version : Dell Reduces Prices on Axim Line

Crystal Eitle
05-26-2003, 09:05 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/Dell_Reduces_Prices_on_Axim_Line' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/D...es_on_Axim_Line</a><br /><br /></div>I just saw this interesting <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/Dell_Reduces_Prices_on_Axim_Line">article</a> over at Brighthand about Dell reducing prices on its Axim line. But what really caught my eye in the article was this:<br /><br />"According to statements made by company executives, Dell is going to release at least two Pocket PCs this year. One will be a model with a color screen that will cost less than $150. The other will have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in. It is not known when these will be announced, though it is unlikely to happen before the release of Pocket PC 2003, expected sometime this summer."<br /><br />These new Dells sound really exciting - a low-end model to get more people into Pocket PCs, and a high-end model with WiFi and Bluetooth built in. Imagine the possibilities of such a device; wireless browsing at home, browsing through a bluetooth-enabled cell phone while on the road, all while leaving your CF and SD slots free for storage, storage, storage. I could see getting a 1 gig (or higher) CF card for music, and a 256 MB SD card for eBooks and other stuff. Who knows, as flash media gets cheaper, and the "sweet spot" for pricing goes into a higher MB range, you could put a *lot* of storage into one of these things.<br /><br />I don't know whether I'll go with an Axim or an iPaq (or something else?), but I'm pretty excited about the new Pocket PCs slated to come out this summer. With some form of built-in wireless, and dual slots for storage and other peripherals, the new Pocket PCs are going to be entertainment powerhouses. All of this in a small package - one of the key reasons to get a Pocket PC in the first place!

Jonathon Watkins
05-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Yup, I'm looking forward to the X7 and X3. :D Hey, my wife always wanted my X5 anyway. :wink:

Pony99CA
05-26-2003, 11:07 AM
These new Dells sound really exciting - a low-end model to get more people into Pocket PCs, and a high-end model with WiFi and Bluetooth built in. Imagine the possibilities of such a device; wireless browsing at home, browsing through a bluetooth-enabled cell phone while on the road, all while leaving your CF and SD slots free for storage, storage, storage.
People with iPAQ 5450s don't have to imagine that -- they can do that. :-) They won't have a CF slot, but that's not really necessary if you don't need more than WiFi and Bluetooth plus some SD memory.

Of course, if an iPAQ user does need more, with the various sleeves available, there's no more expandable Pocket PC available. With a dual PC Card sleeve, someone could conceivably put in two 5 GB PC Card hard disks and a 512 MB SD card, for a whopping 10.84 GB of storage (including the 64 MB RAM and 20 MB (I think) iPAQ File Store).

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
05-26-2003, 01:22 PM
These new Dells sound really exciting - a low-end model to get more people into Pocket PCs, and a high-end model with WiFi and Bluetooth built in. Imagine the possibilities of such a device; wireless browsing at home, browsing through a bluetooth-enabled cell phone while on the road, all while leaving your CF and SD slots free for storage, storage, storage.
People with iPAQ 5450s don't have to imagine that -- they can do that. :-) They won't have a CF slot, but that's not really necessary if you don't need more than WiFi and Bluetooth plus some SD memory.

Yes, but if I got an IPAQ, where would I put my 1Gb CF card without making my PPC the size and weight of a brick? :wink:

I really like the Dell X5 form factor - can't wait to see what they are comng out with next!

ledowning
05-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Can't wait to see what the new Axims will be like, as well as the new HP units. Maybe it will be time to trade in my Jornada 568?

CharlesWilcox
05-26-2003, 03:54 PM
I certianly hope that the X7 maintains the same form factor. I would hate to have to wait 2 months again for Vaja to release another case. I can't imagine the complaining if it gets any bigger. Anyone have any thoughts on that??

dh
05-26-2003, 05:34 PM
I certianly hope that the X7 maintains the same form factor. I would hate to have to wait 2 months again for Vaja to release another case. I can't imagine the complaining if it gets any bigger. Anyone have any thoughts on that??

Yes, an X7 with the same form factor, PPC2003, 128MB RAM, BT and 802.11b would be hard to resist.

kidA
05-26-2003, 06:20 PM
what could they possibly do to get the price of the cheap one below $150? the x5 basic is currently $199. i'm guessing slower processor so as to accomodate a smaller battery in a similar form factor as the x5 perhaps without one or both of the expansion slots.

Will T Smith
05-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Can't wait to see what the new Axims will be like, as well as the new HP units. Maybe it will be time to trade in my Jornada 568?

Only if they include an integrated screen cover !!!!!

I looked closesly at the HP 2200 pictures. It didn't seem to have the little "holes" for a cover attachment.

Lets hope dell steps up a little and adds the $0.20 part that lets us avoid buying a $30-$50 case that really doesn't fit right anyway.

Will T Smith
05-26-2003, 08:59 PM
what could they possibly do to get the price of the cheap one below $150? the x5 basic is currently $199. i'm guessing slower processor so as to accomodate a smaller battery in a similar form factor as the x5 perhaps without one or both of the expansion slots.

SQUEEZE their vendors!!! Thats how all the best discounters get prices down :-)

Beyond that, the parts for PocketPC are becoming commoditized. The manufacturers are getting better at it, their yields become higher, less waste etc...

I would speculate that it would probably look ALOT like a HP 1910 knockoff. Dell isn't the champion of pioneering, they are a champion of copying and then making it cheaper.
* CPU - Intel doesn't make the old StrongARMs anymore. Since, Dell only uses Intel CPUs, it will likely be the cheapest X-Scale available. Besides, I'm fairly certain that the next-gen PocketPC will be X-Scale optimized.
* RAM - They'll likely use the Cheapo RAM/ROM combination that started with the 1910 and has become increasingly popular.
* Battery - An internal battery WOULD make the thing cheaper. However, I think Dell is well aware (as H-Paq is) that selling accessories is where the real $$$ is to be made. I would expect a replaceable batter that IS upgradable. Likely the same form-factor as their current models to save money and not cause IT departments nightmares (something H-Paq DOESN'T understand).
* Screen - Transflective is now the gold standard. If Dell can get such low prices (compared to h-Paq) in it's current line, I would expect Transflective in this iteration as well.
* I/O - I would expect them to DITCH the CF card in a low-cost model. The CF slot module is big, bulky and combersome. Eliminating it could elimate some costs for parts AND manufacturing. It would also allow them to slim down the device and offer it as a DIRECT competitor to the 1910.
I would expect a single SDIO slot as memory/comm expansion. 2 would be trendsetting and Dell doesn't do that.
* Like the HP1910, I would expect the package to be "Sans Cradle". Cradle sales would help offset the undoubtably slim margins on a $150 color PocketPC.

Pony99CA
05-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Yes, but if I got an IPAQ, where would I put my 1Gb CF card without making my PPC the size and weight of a brick? :wink:
Ahhh, another person who has never felt a real brick. :razz: If you get a Silver Slider, the iPAQ with a CF card isn't that big. Janak will also point out that he puts an iPAQ in a CF Expansion Pack Plus (which has an extra battery and a screen cover) in his pocket. Try that with a brick. :lol:

Seriously, note that I specifically said "SD memory". You can get 512 MB SD cards now, and 1 GB cards should be available soon. Yes, SD memory is more expensive than CF memory, but that's a tradeoff. People who want WiFi cards in their Dells and still want more memory have to make that same tradeoff now.

Finally, let's not forget that many people have called the current Dells "bricks". I doubt the X7 will be much smaller.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/contest-parody/axim-ipaqadam.jpg

Steve

urologyhealth
05-27-2003, 12:24 AM
I think the new AXIMS sound expandable without extra sleeves, but I'm questioning why you would want an AXIM with Bluetooth AND a cellphone when you can have a Samsung i700 when available?

Am I missing something here in terms of having ONE unit instead of two?

Thank you

Pony99CA
05-27-2003, 12:44 AM
I think the new AXIMS sound expandable without extra sleeves, but I'm questioning why you would want an AXIM with Bluetooth AND a cellphone when you can have a Samsung i700 when available?

Many things. :-) Some people may not want to take their Pocket PC everywhere they take their cell phone. Some people may not want to have to discard their phone or Pocket PC when they upgrade the other one. Some people may not want to lose their cell phone if their Pocket PC gets damaged (or vice versa).

To see what I'd like, check out my rant about the one-piece/two-piece debate (http://www.svpocketpc.com/#THOUGHT_ONE_PIECE_TWO_PIECE).

Steve

orangehat
05-27-2003, 02:38 AM
looks like my son will getting a nice gift (my current axim) while I get a new one (when they come out).

Janak Parekh
05-27-2003, 04:02 AM
Janak will also point out that he puts an iPAQ in a CF Expansion Pack Plus (which has an extra battery and a screen cover) in his pocket. Try that with a brick. :lol:
Oh, uhm, well, I could, but you already did it so well for me. :lol: That said, it's certainly convenient to have everything integrated, but it's always worth keeping all your options open -- for me, the extended battery was eminently useful, and it gave my 3870 insane amounts of runtime. ("was" because I'm currently not carring an iPAQ around, but a Pocket PC Phone...)

--janak

jimski
05-27-2003, 06:18 AM

Steve

Yes, but I bet the new Dell will not be priced at $699.00 like the iPAQ 5450 (or at least that's what I paid). Something around $499 sounds about right (are you listening HP).

jimski
05-27-2003, 06:25 AM

Thank you

Not everyone thinks that a single device=perfect harmony. I know that Smartphones and PPCPE has come a long way since my Kyocera 6035, and the i700 does look very tempting, but I really like the size and feel of my T68. My idea of the right size cellphone is having to check my belt every few minutes just to make sure it has not fallen off. Don't even know it there most of the time.

Long live Bluetooth (or whatever replaces it)!

paulv
05-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Just visited a Dell presentation this morning and wasn't asked to sign anything so obviously not secret...

The X3 got mentioned (the X7 only vaguely) and they're saying there's a new chassis design with significantly thinner form factor. X5 was purely to test the water and X3/X7 are their genuine efforts.

It's a bummer that in slimming down to X3 to CF slot moves to a external sled. At least these boxes get genuine SDIO, PPC03 and the new processor with RAM on the same die as the processor - to reduce costs and battery usage.

The X3 could make me give up my old (in PPC terms) 565. I don't really need BT or WIFI.