View Full Version : IR on hp notebooks?

delfuhd
05-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey all, well I'm leaving for mygrandparents in a bit, and of course I'm going to be taking my arsenal with me :D
My grandparents have a Presario 900 notebook. I've looked for reviews, and I just want to make sure, Infared comes stock with all the notebooks, right? And if so, where is it located? I'd just like to know ahead of time whether or not i can connect to the comp for whatever reason.

Thanks

rhmorrison
05-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Infared comes stock with all the notebooks, right? And if so, where is it located?
Although a fairly standard feature it does NOT come with all notebooks! Very old and some very new notebooks do not have this I/O for various reasons. However, very many laptops do include an IrDA port, however where it is located is impossible to say other than it will be able to be seen with the laptop open sitting on a table. In general just look around the front, back. left, and right sides for an IrDA access port (usually looks like a piece of dark red plastic). In your specific case the specification for the COMPAQ Presario 900 notebook (http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/470045_487.pdf) that I found did NOT indicate that an IrDA port was available. It does have USB and LAN interfaces though!

new toy
05-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Now I have a Presario without an IR port, where can I find a IR port adapter maybe something with a USP or Serial plug so I can sync my phone and PPC.

Chris

Saaby
05-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Look carefully, some of the new Compaq laptops have it (brilliantly) integrated into the CD-Rom door. That is, there was a little wasted space under the CD-Drive so they put the IR LEDs there. Window for the LEDs is in the door. Open the CD-Rom and you can see the LEDs. Cool eh?

dangerwit
05-24-2003, 11:07 PM
I've seen some clever USB dongles with an IRDA setup at the opposite end, selling for around $20-$30. Check out eBay if time warrants, or maybe Compusa, BuyComp.com, Outpost, etc etc etc

*Phil