View Full Version : My SCARY encounter with MS Pocket Money!

karinatwork
05-23-2003, 05:02 PM
So after reading this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12728&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) I thought, let's give MS Pocket Money a try. I am pretty happy with the desktop version (2002), so I downloaded and installed the pocket version.

I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT! :evil:

First off, it didn't install right. I couldn't see the exe in the program folder. So I installed again. Now I see an exe with the right name, but only a generic icon, which will not start up (can't find moneyce). So I copy the exe from my storage card (where I installed the program) to the program folder. Now the program opens fine. But wasn't it supposed to give me a today plug in? When installing the program, the today screen plug in page popped up, but there was no Money option. So why the heck do you even display that page? Anyway, who cares, let's try this program out. But I need to sync first before start using it, right? Hello?? Active Sync doesn't give me a check box for MS Money!! Hey, how come, I just installed the darn thing. Whatever, let's install it again. Same problem. When my h1910 is disconnected from the desktop, I can check the sync box for MS Money, but as soon as I put my pocket pc in the cradle, the MS Money option disappears. No today plug in option. No syching. No nothing. @#$@%!!!!

Now I'm really getting tired of this. I decide that I am going to uninstall the stupid program. YEAH RIGHT! :twisted: It's not going to let that happen!!! I try to uninstall it a few times, from the desktop with AS, from the pocket pc under "settings", and with Remover. Nothing works. I must have tried to uninstall it for 10 or more times. Can't get rid of it. At this point, I delete with Remover all the registry settings and uninstall information, all the folders on my storage card and finally it's gone. Yet I don't know if all the hidden files are gone as well. So I might have to hard reset my poor pocket pc. 8O

What is going on??? This whole story reminds me of MS Reader. When installing Reader, I had the same problem of the exe not showing up properly in my program folder, and I had to copy a shortcut from my storage folder to my program folder. :roll:

Am I doing something wrong? Am I not supposed to install the program on the storage card? I'd like to install it again but now I'm really scared. Plus if I am not allowed to install on the storage card, the whole thing has no point for me. Have you had similar experiences, or is it only me? :(

Karin

Peter Foot
05-23-2003, 05:09 PM
I think the problem is that it does not properly support installation on a Storage Card. I have this problem lots because my iPaq 3630 upgraded to ppc 2002 does not have all apps in ROM so I have to install them in RAM. I thought no problem I'll use a storage card - big mistake!
Only by installing media player, reader etc in ram can I get them to install and work properly without broken shortcuts crashes etc...

Peter

Sslixtis
05-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Yep, MS Pocket Money can only be installed to the Default directory. :cry: That said, I love it. It is one of my must have programs, although the new Pocket Quicken 2.0 looks pretty nice too it is $29.95 vs FREE. :lol:

Cheers!

karinatwork
05-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok ok. That's all fine and dandy. So after getting rid of the wrongly installed version, I installed the darn thing into the main memory, and if I want to uninstall it, it STILL won't let me do it! Is that the automated protection of Microsoft that you can't get rid of their programs???

:|

delfuhd
05-23-2003, 07:42 PM
I had the "wont uninstall" problem too, and it said to let the desktop version uninstall first.. hmm maybe yo uahve to buy the desktop version to uninstall the ppc version? Hmm well I just said screw it and left it there, and a while back i did a hard reset for another reason and rebuilt it, and that's the only way I got MSMoney off of my ppc.. I consider it a virus, meaning that I'll never touch it again.. The only time I used it was on my old Casio, when it came stock with it, but this was just unacceptable.

karinatwork
05-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Well I do have the desktop version installed. I think with desktop portion of uninstall, they are talking about the Active Sync uninstall option. Like I said, I did all that and a bag of chips and I still can't get it off.

You're right, it's like a virus. I will test it a little bit and when the next hard reset comes along, I will evaluate if it is worth it to have this program in my precious main memory.

For this one (and others), Microsoft gets a very big TWO TUMBS DOWN!
(here should be a picture of a thumbs down emoticon, but there isn't one, sorry).

K.

redifrogger
05-23-2003, 10:05 PM
I had serious headaches installing Pocket Money on my e740, but after after about 1 1/2 hrs., I finally got everything work. That said, I love this app; the syncing to my desktop is a great thing in case you have a hard reset and didn't do a recent backup. It's not perfect, but if you don't need a super intensive money app, I think it's a bargain. I picked up the desktop version (which includes the pocket version) for about $10.00 new on eBay. :D

PetiteFlower
05-23-2003, 11:56 PM
I also could not get it to uninstall until I did a hard reset for a ROM upgrade. That program is evil. Pocket Quicken is on my "To buy as soon as I can afford it" list. I hate the desktop version of Money too.

dotcomguy
05-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmm, I don't recall having as much trouble when I mistakenly installed Pocket Money onto my SD card. From what I recalled I was able to remove it without too much hassle and then install it again. :\