View Full Version : Sounds from PortableSounds.com

bdegroodt
05-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to plug these guys. I found them a couple of weeks ago under SoundRangers.com, but they have some really unique work and I just like their business. I bought 5 little sounds recently to replace those on my PC and PPC. Plus they have a free sound each week.

I am in no way affiliated (Though I wish I had the talent...What a fun business.).

http://www.portablesounds.com/

Sparkomatic
05-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Those are pretty cool. But $1.50 each? Am I just a cheap-o or is that a little expensive? :D

dochall
05-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Those are pretty cool. But $1.50 each? Am I just a cheap-o or is that a little expensive? :D

No, I think $1.50 for a single sound is OOT. They would proably do better to do themes and charge slightly more for a theme say $5.

bdegroodt
05-23-2003, 05:23 PM

Awww come on. Think of these guys and the amount of work they have to go through to give you a life time of pleasant sound.

A theme package might be a cool idea too. Write them and see what they say. I'm sure it's a tough business to be in and feedback would be welcome (However, if they yell at you and tell you to go away, don't blame me. 8O ).

davidspalding
05-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Apple wants a whole 99¢ for a digital version of a song. I think some computer people have lost sight of the "microtransaction" ideal in which the consumer freely purchases stuff because it's so affordable.

Me, I wouldn't pay $1.50 for a single WAV file. 25¢, yes. But I have other things to spnd my $' on ... like mortgage, baby clothes, diapers, car repairs, retirement, health care, home maintenance,....

Thefo
05-24-2003, 05:28 AM
These are cool sounds but being a musician I can tell you that many of the sounds are just sampled Korg MIDI sounds from various synthesizers. You may find many of these same sounds with different names on your MIDI keyboard or MIDI capable soundcard.

bdegroodt
05-24-2003, 03:17 PM
See. That's why they have to charge 1.50. They can make just as much money serving a quarter of the buyers vs charging .25. Plus, I'm positive there would be just as many complaining about the .25 cost as there are 1.50. In any case, I think it's a pretty cool deal and I like the work.