View Full Version : opening microsoft reader.lit's w/word?

nosmohtac
05-23-2003, 05:43 AM
I have microsoft reader add-in for microsoft word on my desktop.
I'm sorry, but I can't stand microsoft reader. it is a memory leaker, is slow to paginate, and takes forever to get you to the most recent page of a large book if you close it between readings.

I have tried to open .lit files with word so that I could save them as .txt or .rtf, but they won't open. Is there a program that will allow you to open a .lit file and save it as .doc,.rtf, or .txt?

I want to do this so I can read them with ubook.

Abba Zabba
05-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Are you triyn just to save a different format of a word document? But instead of creating a .lit you want .txt blah blah

Well instead of creating a .lit file and transferring it to the pda (if that what ur doing) then when you create the word document when you click save as you can choose what file type to save it as. Hope that helps ya :|

nosmohtac
05-23-2003, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have converted some word files to .lit, but i still have a copy of them in .doc.

What I am trying to do is convert the .lit books that I have'nt read yet to anything but .pdf.

oe1kenobi
05-23-2003, 08:31 AM
The only way to convert .lit files back to normal text is to use Convert Lit (http://members.lycos.co.uk/hostintheshell/#Download) to convert them to a bunch of html files and go from there.

BTW, Convert Lit may be against some laws in your country, so be careful.

-Richard L. Owens

ironguy
05-23-2003, 05:26 PM
MS Reader, as you have noted, sux.

Many moons ago I ran across a program that has revolutionized my reading on my PPC. You must try uBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com). Here's a blurb from the web site:

µBook is a simple and lean, yet powerful ebook reader for Windows and Pocket PCs that can read HTML, TXT, RTF, PDB and PRC (not secure) ebook files. It can read directly from inside ZIP or RAR files, and supports BMP, GIF and JPG images. It offers many customization options including: Portrait and Landscape display, Choice of font type, color and size, etc.... It Also has a resizable/skinnable User Interface. µBook is improving on a regular basis and best of all it's free!

It opens very fast, and to the last book you had open. It'll read just about anything except .lit and secure formats. It is skinnable, has an auto scroller, recent book list, and on and on.

The best part is reading directly from zip files. I had a zipped book that was corrupted. WinZip could not open the zip file to extract the book. I moved the file directly to my PPC and uBook read the book directly. Worked great! :mrgreen: [/url]

nosmohtac
05-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks,

ubook is already my reader of choice, which is why I am trying to convert the existing .lit files to another file format.

davidspalding
05-25-2003, 12:24 AM
The only way to convert .lit files back to normal text is to use Convert Lit (http://members.lycos.co.uk/hostintheshell/#Download) to convert them to a bunch of html files and go from there.

BTW, Convert Lit may be against some laws in your country, so be careful.

CLIT will export the .LIT file to the OEBPS source files (HTML, XHTML, PNG, JPG, GIF, etc.), which may be used and republished in your own OEBPS software to .PRC or other eBook formats for reading in Mobipocket, uBook, et al. It depends on the encoding program. I've had good luck with books made with Readerworks, but a few which were editing and published as .LIT with Word are problematic; Word introduces too much non-standard HTML and CSS gobbledygook. YMMV. Again, use of CLIT probably violates the DMCA, though I can't imagine the police banging on your door (hasn't happened to me).

I had good results with CRYPTONOMICON, but found that the publisher introduced many image coding problems, and I had to expend a coupla hours fixing their techie's mistakes. Be forewarned.... ;)