View Full Version : GPS Question?

Obby
05-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Has anyone used a GPS receiver on an Axim? If so, what'cha got and how well does it work?

So far I've been looking at the Holux receiver and perhaps the Routis navigation software. Any ideas folks?

lurch
05-23-2003, 04:05 AM
I don't have an Axim, I have a Jornada, but I use a Pretec CompactGPS and MS Streets and Trips, the Pretec GPS works pretty well, and streets and trips is just okay - it only updates your location every 14 seconds, which sucks, and you can't plan routes on it.

I am beta-testing a product right now that kicks both the Pretec and Pocket Streets and Trips butts, and I hope it's released soon!!! :)
Although since the Pretec is a compact flash form factor it allows for portable use (i.e. walking around) whereas other GPS products (like the one I'm testing) must be plugged into a power source (i.e. car lighter).

Just some thoughts.. :)

GoldKey
05-23-2003, 12:59 PM
I don't have an Axim, I have a Jornada, but I use a Pretec CompactGPS and MS Streets and Trips, the Pretec GPS works pretty well, and streets and trips is just okay - it only updates your location every 14 seconds, which sucks, and you can't plan routes on it.

I am beta-testing a product right now that kicks both the Pretec and Pocket Streets and Trips butts, and I hope it's released soon!!! :)
Although since the Pretec is a compact flash form factor it allows for portable use (i.e. walking around) whereas other GPS products (like the one I'm testing) must be plugged into a power source (i.e. car lighter).

Just some thoughts.. :)

I am testing what is probably the same product and am using it on an Axim. But since under an NDA, can't really talk about it. But I will agree, it kicks butt.

Pat Logsdon
05-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I've got the Holux and Routis and it's worked very well for me. According to most of the posts on gpspassion.com (http://www.gpspassion.com), the Holux uses the newest and most powerful chipset - the SiRF Star II LP (low power).

Routis is great, no problems, and the Holux has been very good as well.

I recently decided to get the Haicom "Folding" GPS, which uses the same chipset, but can be used as either a serial or CF unit. Plus it folds, and that's just neat. :mrgreen:

I'd urge you to check out gpspassion - that's where the official Deluo forums are, and there's quite a bit of good information there.

Obby
05-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started looking into PPC and GPS.

Sven Johannsen
05-24-2003, 12:09 PM
I have a CF GPS that I use on my AXIM. (It's not released yet, so I don't want to recommend it till it is and you could actually buy one) I wouldn't sweat the power cord too much on other units. You'll find just using a CF GPS on it's own uses battery quickly. At least mine does. So you'd be doing short updates if out of the car, and getting a car charger for auto trips anyway. You have to decide if totally autonomous operation is really important to you. Check out www.gpspassion.com for a pretty good suite of reviews on software and hardware.

I have to put in a plug for Mapopolis. Been very pleased with it's operation. Took me way to long to break down and buy it, after having sufferred with Pocket Streets (great maps, wonderful POIs, but no routing) and DeLorme XMap handheld. (not bad but has a lot of issues and quirks. Expected more from one of the desktop mapping leaders).

If I were to buy something today, I think I might go for the Haicom dual interface unit, (very flexible and seems to get good performance reviews) and Mapopolis.

javageek
05-26-2003, 01:52 AM
I am using Routis and the Deluo universal GPS with the Axim adapter. So far it has worked great for me. My only gripe is it has to be plugged in. The cool thing about it is the fact I have a usb-serial adapter and can use it with my laptop as well. :D

mavx5
05-29-2003, 02:29 AM
If you peel back a few pages, me and "killin-time" went back and forth on a GPS bundle offered by www.pocketmap.com. I have used it extensively, and most recently on a very long road trip. To sum it up, it works great! I didn't have any trouble with it and its software is very robust. I whole heartedly recommend it. Killin-time, if you're reading this, by all means, back me up? :) If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

erussell
05-29-2003, 07:29 PM
I use a Holux CF card on my Axim with PocketMap maps and Mapopolis maps (testing). I'm probably going to stick with Mapopolis maps because they can route and re-route much faster than the PocketMap maps. I've had the PocketMap maps hang the Axim quite often, but never when running the Mapopolis maps. Mapopolis maps are smaller and they give you a nine day trial for testing.

KiLLiN-TiMe
06-03-2003, 11:44 AM
I whole heartedly recommend it. Killin-time, if you're reading this, by all means, back me up? :)

I agree. PocketMap Navagator is a great program!

I've had the PocketMap maps hang the Axim quite often...

Have you ran the latest patch?

One of the things that sold me on PocketMaps was the fact that they care about the people who buy their product. They are one of the few companys in the software market that goes the extra mile to try and improve their product and get feedback from their costumers.

Check out gps passion (http://www.gpspassion.com) and go to the PocketMap Navagator forum.

Alicatt
06-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Recently I got the TomTom navigator system for my X5 Performance (Advanced) and I tried installing it on a 128Mb SD card I could not get it to run at all there. I then tried to install it on a 256Mb CF card, fine! great! it works :) and am happy about that, tho I would of prefered to install it on the SD and leave the CF slot free to put a CF GPS card in. Can you install software to the SD card and have it run?

Sven Johannsen
06-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Can you install software to the SD card and have it run?

Generically, Yes

Mapopolis specifically, Yes, on both my Jornada (with MMC/SD battery) and on the AXIM. Several other Mapping program I have run fine off of the SD as well. Actually most all of my programs are on the SD cards.

Can't say about the TomTom, though that would be a killer dificiencey with all the PPCs that are going slim by providing only SD slots.

Alicatt
06-09-2003, 06:14 PM
I wonder if it is a speed related problem, it takes much longer to install to the SD card than the CF card. Last night I tried to install Acrobat for the PPC to the SD card and after a while it came up with an error and the installation halted. removed that installation and tried again to the CF card it went much quicker only took about 1/4 of the time and installed without any problems. (that was the same with the TomTom, very slow to the SD card and failed, much, much quicker to the CF and no problems)

Pat Logsdon
06-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Last night I tried to install Acrobat for the PPC to the SD card and after a while it came up with an error and the installation halted.
If the SD card is a SanDisk or Lexar, the problem you describe could very well be with the SD card. Check out this thread (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dellpda&message.id=16086) for more info. The last time I checked, it was at 70 pages and counting. :roll:

maximus
06-10-2003, 02:55 AM
Just an FYI. Sandisk is actually producing SD cards component for other companies, these other companies simply produce a packaging with different color, place a sticker on top of the packaging, and sell it to you.

I will not mention brand names, but let say that if you crack open your SD card, there is a 50% chance that you will see the sandisk brand on the flash memory chip itself, and/or the memory controller.

The problem with SD card takes longer to install compared to a CF card is simply because they are built that way (hence the word "Secure" Digital). It is like comparing the speed of a 5400 rpm IDE drive versus a 10000 rpm SCSI drive.

sambeckett
07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I recently decided to get the Haicom "Folding" GPS, which uses the same chipset, but can be used as either a serial or CF unit. Plus it folds, and that's just neat.

I had this unit but the metal front cover became unglued to the CF insert and simons wouldnt give me a refund :?

Pat Logsdon
07-17-2003, 09:23 PM
I recently decided to get the Haicom "Folding" GPS, which uses the same chipset, but can be used as either a serial or CF unit. Plus it folds, and that's just neat.

I had this unit but the metal front cover became unglued to the CF insert and simons wouldnt give me a refund :?
That stinks. You might want to make that post over at gpspassion.com - I'm pretty sure that the people at Semson's read that site and get a good number of sales from it...couldn't hurt...

Does the unit still work without the metal cover? Did you have to get something else?

sambeckett
07-18-2003, 05:40 PM
It sitll works but looked pretty bad and the inners were not protected.

Hi Sir,
The metal plate is not bonded by glue. It is ultra sonic. It will not
come apart unless you bend the card with excess force.

We have offered three options.

1. We will send you a brand new unit to replace the original unit.
2. We will give you 100% store credit card that is good for anything in our store.
3. We will give 70% refund back to your credit card.

I wanted a 100% refund. Minus shipping is fine.