View Full Version : HP 568 Surgery Success!

Stephen Beesley
05-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Okay so this should probably have been posted in the Hp Jornada Forum - but I am just sooo damn pleased that I wanted everyone to know!

As I have mentioned in Previous posts I recently managed to smash the screen on My HP 568. Well, last weekend I successfully accomplished transplant surgery - replacing the smashed screen of my 568 with another (David - it was a pleasure doing business with you!) that had a faulty backlight.

Opening up the 568 was not too difficult and although there were a couple of screws and catchs inside that took a bit of finding/figuring out disassembly went fairly well. Of course the first time I disconnected a lot more stuff than I needed to so when it came time to open the second 568 it was a bit easier. Once I had them open and worked out how to remove the screens the transplant was accomplished and then it was time to stitch the patient back up (metephorically speaking!).

You can imagine my suprise, and relief, when the Jornada turned back on and there was my today screen that I had not seen for some weeks.

I would love to be able to end the story there, but these things never go quite according to plan. On closer investigation I found that the faulty backlight on the replacement screen was still faulty (I had assumed that this might be a problem with the board rather than the screen). More surgery followed!

This time it was much easier to get the Jornada apart (knowing your way around helps) but it soon became apparant that the problem was with the sidelight of the new screen itself. So figuring that I had nothing to loose I gingerly disassmbled the screen itself and replaced the light with the one from my broken screen. And this time....

Success :D

My Jornada is now recuperating in its sync cradle beside me as I type. And I am just about over the stress myself!

Goldtee

lurch
05-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Wow, this is impressive! I'm going to keep you in mind for when this happens to me (because I'm sure it will). I love my 567 too much to part with it that easily...

Expect a note from me in 6 months to 2 years, hopefully longer! ;)

TawnerX
05-22-2003, 04:04 PM
what is with you the newton crowd and attachment to all things .... ehrrr... expired and extinct. :razzing:

I swear you will keep that jornada alive until around the year 2015. lol

Stephen Beesley
05-22-2003, 04:12 PM
what is with you the newton crowd and attachment to all things .... ehrrr... expired and extinct. :razzing:

Indeed I still have a Newton 130 and my trusty Mp2K laying about. Both of which have been extensively disassembled at different times :D

I swear you will keep that jornada alive until around the year 2015. lol

I hope so!

Goldtee

FredMurphy
05-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Glad to hear it all worked well. :D

rhmorrison
05-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Expired and Extinct?

What do the DELL Axiums have of importance that the Jornada 568 doesn't have? Is a StowAway keyboard available for the DELL's yet?

The performance difference between a 206 MHz StrongARM and a 500 MHz XScale (both with 100 MHz FE bus) is virtually ZERO!

WHY CHANGE NOW?

Stephen Beesley
05-22-2003, 04:17 PM
So am I!

Of course now I have the spare sync cradle, battery and charger (not to mention more stylus than I know what to do with :D ) that I have always wanted but never got around to getting.

BTW - I have been playing around with my bosses Ipaq 5450 laterly and I think I know what the eventualy successor (although not replacement!) of my Jornada will be.

Goldtee

rhmorrison
05-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Do you think it would be worthwhile to attempt such a surgery to remove the DUST under my screen :?:

David Johnston
05-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Goldtee, feel like opening up your Jornada again? :D

I have a feeling that a brief doc on how to open the Jornada would be quite handy - especially knowing those 'screws' and 'catches' in advance could save some damage... photos would be great!

I would certainly be interested in such a document... my screen is also faulty and I'm thinking about replacing it...

Stephen Beesley
05-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Would I open my 568 up again to remove the dust - probably. But then I have already done it once. To seperate the touch screen from the LCD required cutting some tape holding it together - this was probably the scariest part for me as I was not really sure what I was cutting.

The problem is that anytime you take a piece of equipment apart there is always the chance that you might damage something.

Anyway, as it happens I now have one 568 still in pieces and I was actually thinking about taking some pictures of the the process when I get the chance. If anybody would like to host the pictures (assuming I get off my butt and do it!) let me know

Goldtee

Stephen Beesley
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
A quck PS to my last post.

As for opening it up to remove the dust - the other factor to take into account is that you might end up letting in more dust than is there already and it probably will not be as dust proof (as much as any 568 is dustproof) as it was before.

Just something to think about.

Goldtee

lurch
05-22-2003, 04:47 PM
I will host the pictures, and the how-to, if you'd like...

Will T Smith
05-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Do you think it would be worthwhile to attempt such a surgery to remove the DUST under my screen :?:

Probably not. Send it to PocketPC Techs. Their screen-rework seems reasonable.

Glad to see you were able to salvage your Jornada screen. When mine busted a year back it cost me a couple $230 (from HP) and a couple months to get the thing back. In the meantime I had to use an iPaq that I had practically abandoned in favor of the HP 568.

I have a feeling that the HP Jornada 56x will be one of those devices that people tend to hand on to for A VERY LONG time. Long after the iPaq 37xx (and their GIANT pile of support gear) have been abandoned, Jornadas will still be in service.

Don Tolson
05-22-2003, 06:18 PM
I second that Will. I see no point in replacing my J568 until something that provides significantly better or more functionality comes along.

However, the 2200 with CF and SD slots + bluetooth is catching the corner of my eye :worried:

lurch
05-22-2003, 07:38 PM
However, the 2200 with CF and SD slots + bluetooth is catching the corner of my eye :worried:
Mine too... but who says they can't live together in harmony in my household? :)

Stephen Beesley
06-09-2003, 03:38 PM
After a couple of weeks of slackness - and enjoying the use of my reborn Jornada :D - I am finally about to take some photos of the disassembly process (using the dead one of course!). Just wondering if anybody has any special requests (ie things they particularly wanted photos of) before I get going.

Also if anybody is still interested in hosting the photos let me know/

Goldtee

lurch
06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
I will host the pictures, and the how-to, if you'd like...

Still interested... formulate them into an HTML page, then PM me when you're ready and I'll give you an email address to send them to..

Mitch D
06-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Good on Ya GoldTee,

Nothing wrong with keeping a loved one alive and kicking for a while more, and nothing wrong with DYI!

:rock on dude!: