View Full Version : 5455 - Transcriber quit working?

jsanfordii
05-22-2003, 02:05 AM
Ok, this is too wierd. I've been getting used to transcriber, and have set it as my default entry mechanism. I just realized that the little keyboard is popping up instead of the transcriber. The block recog. and the other one seem to work fine.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them???

james

stitics
05-22-2003, 05:35 AM
I have a similar issue going on right now with my e740, only my problem input choice is the Fitaly keyboard. Instead, I also get the original keyboard.

The only thing I can think of that I did that even remotely correlates to this chronologically was installing the software for my MicroInnovations IR keyboard. However, that was a while prior to the advent of this issue.

Other that that, I have no ideas. Anyone else able to help either of us?

Terry
05-22-2003, 06:30 AM
I had the same issue last weekend with Calligrapher, Transcriber's big brother. I fixed the problem by reinstalling Calligrapher. It might have stopped working after I upgraded PocketInformant (but I'm not certain). Nearly as annoying as ActiveSync thinking my iPaq is a Guest.

jsanfordii
05-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Let's see...I used my $50 handago cert. to buy, Nice Start, Resco File Explorer, and eWallet. That's the only thing I can think of that I've added.

I added PocketWinC yesterday, but I think I was having the problem before that.

Are you guys using any of those?

James

Chris Spera
05-22-2003, 01:20 PM
OK... This isn't what you want to hear, but it IS the answer...

The 5455 has a very serious memory management issue that I can only hope will be thoroughly fixed in the PPC 2003 OS update that is coming out some time next month/ this summer...

There is a SIP (soft input panel) DLL that occasionally fails to load into active RAM. When this happens, the keyboard pops up in place of the chosen SIP. The best thing to do is to soft reset the machine and then immediately choose Transcriber/ Caligrapher as a default SIP, snd leave it as theactive SIP.

There is no other fix than this, and please note that you may need to soft reset more than once to get the needed SIP to load...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Terry
06-01-2003, 07:21 AM
:evil: BAH!
I no like memory leaks.

newst
06-01-2003, 03:12 PM
:evil: BAH!
I no like memory leaks.

I know what you mean, they are so hard to clean up! :wink:

the_rapture
06-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Here's another work around for this problem that I found that seems to work for me. Download and install 1.5 Transcriber and then un-install it and it seems to work better after you do this.

jsanfordii
06-02-2003, 11:41 AM
I uninstalled NiceStart and the BioScan plugin, and the transcriber started working again. It's too bad. The bioscan plugin sure made the bio functionality of the 5455 work like it should out of the box.

Thanks for the suggestions.

james

FredMurphy
06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
I've had it working intermittently (including with Nice Start). I don't think it's a clash with anything in particular, just the omnipresent 5450 driver memory leak bug.

Another ROM update is rumoured to be due about now. Not PPC2003, just a PPC2002 update. I'm keeping an eye out for it.

Chris Spera
06-02-2003, 03:04 PM
The reason why uninstalling the bioscan module worked is because it took something out of the start up sequence that used memory.

I use Nice Start with the bioscan module on my 5455 and don't have a problem using Calligrapher 6.5 (if you remember, its the upgrade to Transcriber, and it has a MUCH larger footprint) in my latest 5455 setup.

I had a small problem with a dirty bit that froze my PPC recently after a 12am auto turn on to update appointments and what not. The PPC was plugged it, but the dirty bit kept it on, drained the battery to the point where I lost everything. It did a hard reset on its own.

When I had everything reinstalled, it began showing a much firmer state of stability (and has since).

But what you are seeing and experiencing is the memory leak bug in all its glory...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera