View Full Version : Overclocking???

sasquatchw/ppc
05-21-2003, 07:16 PM
I need some advice. Does anyone have any idea how overclocking affects the hardware. Does it overheat ever? In the long run if I overclocked would it shorten the life of my PPC?
If you all think its worht it to overclock could you give me some links for some hacks or what ever it is and explain how to use them. Thanks

kidA
05-21-2003, 07:33 PM
what device are you using? some are affected differently than others by overclocking--some run noticeably faster and others not so much.
as for affecting the hardware, maybe. it might cause your machine to run warmer and will definitely shorten battery life. this depends on how much you overclock though.

sasquatchw/ppc
05-21-2003, 07:40 PM
iPAQ h3835

xoiph
05-22-2003, 06:38 AM
There's a similar thread in the Hardware>Ipaq section, I'm just too lazy to find it and link it. In a nutshell: overclocking usually heats up the processor significantly, and you can actually feel your PDA getting hotter in some cases. Most PPCs don't have a way to cool off the processor, so you risk damaging the motherboard and of course voiding your warranty. I noticed the screen on my 1910 is duller when overclocked, but there is no way I can go through the day at 200Mhz. I choose to risk it because I think running my 1910 at 333Mhz outweighs the cons.

xoiph
05-22-2003, 06:42 AM
BTW -- I use TurboTray (freeware :mrgreen:)