View Full Version : Changing to a new PC

Cameron_Talley
05-19-2003, 11:35 PM
I just got a new HP laptop, and I want to connect my Ipaq 3955 to it. I have installled activesync on the new pc, but when I try to connect the device, it can't find it.

On the old computer, I used a serial connection, but on the new one, I need to use USB.

Any ideas why the new PC's activesync can't find mobile device?

I just want to sync my PPC to the new computer so I can easily transfer Outlook data.

Thanks

Chris Spera
05-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Cameron,

A couple of questions...

1. Are you using ActiveSync 3.7 on the new laptop?

2. Is the HP laptop running XP Home or XP Pro?

After doing some research and confering with some of the people I know, there appears to be an issue with ActiveSync 3.7 and USB communication with a Pocket PC in both XP Home AND XP Pro. AS seems to sever communication with your PC's USB ports. The serial link SHOULD still work.

This is only known to be an issue with AS 3.7, Windows XP AND USB connections to Pocket PC's.

The best thing you can do is uninstall ActiveSync 3.7 and install either ActiveSync 3.5 or 3.6 if you want your iPAQ 3955 to communicate with your PC at USB 1.1 rated speeds. Otherwise, you going to be stuck with a serial link at 115kbps at best.

I am a download pack rat. I KNOW I have a copy of ActiveSync 3.6 around here somewhere... I'll let you know if I locate it and where you might be able to download it...

However, get rid of AS 3.7... its a mistake waiting to happen...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Cameron_Talley
05-20-2003, 01:38 AM
1. No, it is 3.5

2. XP Pro.

I imagine I just need to fool around with it some more... :)

Cameron_Talley
05-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Well, I tried it again after a few reboots and it seems to work fine. Who knows what was up. I'll take your advice about sticking with 3.5 though, b/c the new laptop doesn't have a serial port. (but does have USB and IR)

Janak Parekh
05-20-2003, 02:31 AM
This is only known to be an issue with AS 3.7, Windows XP AND USB connections to Pocket PC's.
Say what? I've seen 3.7 installed on at least three XP PC's, using USB, and have seen the exact same performance and reliability metrics as 3.5 build 12007 and 3.6. Using different devices as well. I've not had a single problem, myself.

--janak

Jacob
05-20-2003, 03:01 AM
Say what? I've seen 3.7 installed on at least three XP PC's, using USB, and have seen the exact same performance and reliability metrics as 3.5 build 12007 and 3.6. Using different devices as well. I've not had a single problem, myself.

--janak

I'm using XP Pro and have had no problem with AS 3.7 either.

andrewlwood
05-20-2003, 06:48 AM
If you don't connect in the right order, you can have problems with the USB finding your device. you HAVE to install activesync before you connect your device EVER to your machine - then once installed you can plug in the usb to the ipaq and away you go.

Doesn't always happen - but it has to me, on a couple of machines.

Chris Spera
05-20-2003, 12:53 PM

--janak

I've seen it happen on more than one PC. Its an ugly thing...]

UPDATE: This issue concerns the iPAQ 5400 ONLY. The 3900 and earlier series devices should not be effected.

Janak Parekh
05-20-2003, 03:37 PM
UPDATE: This issue concerns the iPAQ 5400 ONLY. The 3900 and earlier series devices should not be effected.
Hmm, I don't have a 54xx, so I guess I won't be of much help in debugging that. ;) Then of course, the original poster has a 3955, so no issue there.

--janak

Chris Spera
05-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Hmm, I don't have a 54xx, so I guess I won't be of much help in debugging that. ;) Then of course, the original poster has a 3955, so no issue there.

--janak

True. Yesterday was a bad day. Sorry for the confusion...