View Full Version : A Pocket PC in Manhatten... and I need your help!

karinatwork
05-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Yay, we're going to see the Big Apple! A girl from the country like me is going to see the big city. And of course, I am wondering about all the things I will need to install onto my pocket pc that could be helpful. Any good map software out there? Can't use GPS though, so I wouldn't need that. Also, are there e-book guides available? A map of the subway? :D

Plus, this is kinda off-topic, but I would be really thankful for any suggestions regarding Manhatten. What to see, what to avoid, what to be aware of.

Thanks a bunch!! :mrgreen:

K.

VisualMonster
05-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Sounds like PocketStreets would be a big help for you, here's the link
http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=X8EBE8D8744F92DA4XD62E1466E6D243&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=42042 :-)

VisualMonster
05-19-2003, 06:57 AM
The Maps for PocketStreets are free to download from Microsoft too, here's the page with a Manhattan map, http://www.microsoft.com/pocketstreets/mapdownload/NY_En.HTM

Have fun out there.. :)

Pony99CA
05-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Yay, we're going to see the Big Apple! A girl from the country like me is going to see the big city. And of course, I am wondering about all the things I will need to install onto my pocket pc that could be helpful. Any good map software out there? Can't use GPS though, so I wouldn't need that. Also, are there e-book guides available? A map of the subway? :D

I agree with VisualMonster about Pocket Streets, but I'd buy Microsoft Streets & Trips 2003 (http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227902-1204-20447919.html) instead of just Pocket Streets. It includes Pocket Streets, and it's only $5.00 more (at most) using the price search on the above link. That $5.00 buys you the Windows PC version, which includes route planning and the ability to create your own maps for Pocket Streets.

For subway maps, try Tube (http://www.visualit.co.uk/tube.htm).

Plus, this is kinda off-topic, but I would be really thankful for any suggestions regarding Manhatten.

Would telling you that it's spelled "Manhattan" count? :-)

Steve

rhmorrison
05-19-2003, 08:58 AM
A map of the subway? :D
You might take a look at METRO (http://nanika.net/Metro/).
It is a FREEWARE subway guide available for hundreds of cities.
It's certainly not as fancy or useful as TUBE but may meet your needs.

andrewlwood
05-19-2003, 02:15 PM
another vote for METRO
I love it - fantastic. I've just downloaded pocketstreets with all the maps for NYC as well - because I'm coming to le grand pomme on Weds (from Hong Kong - look out if I sneeze 8O )

If you go to www.penguin.co.uk you can download the Rough Guide in Reader format - i like these, because you can read your pda without looking like a tourist - Rough Guide screams 'MUG ME'

But then, I suppose a 5450 does as well...

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Welcome to our corner of the world :D

Personally, I use Tube. While it's not as cheap as Metro, the Pro version is also bundled with a very nice street map of midtown/downtown, which even I find occasionally useful (and if you've never been downtown, you definitely need some sort of street map if you're wandering down there. ;))

As to what to see, how many pages of advice do you want? Seriously, there is too much. Make sure to hit the tourist stops like Times Square, the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, the museums, the theaters, the great World Trade pit downtown, etc. That should keep you busy for the first few days if not more. ;) If you have a specific question, feel free to ask.

--janak

rhmorrison
05-19-2003, 04:16 PM
It's been a long time since I've been in NYC but I suspect that things haven't changed much. There is a ticket booth at Times Square where you can get half price tickets for shows that same evening. You have to stand in line in the early afternoon and you have to take what is available but I was always able to get cheap tickets to actual broadway shows that I wanted to see. Just a thought :idea:

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 04:18 PM
It's been a long time since I've been in NYC but I suspect that things haven't changed much. There is a ticket booth at Times Square where you can get half price tickets for shows that same evening.
Ahh, you're referring to the TKTS booth (http://www.tdf.org/programs/tkts/). That's the only place in NYC (apart from breakfast places) that's packed early on Sunday mornings :lol:

BTW, here's the New York Times Guide to New York City (http://www.nytimes.com/top/features/travel/destinations/unitedstates/newyork/newyorkcity/index.html). I find that pretty useful, along with CitySearch (newyork.citysearch.com).

--janak

karinatwork
05-20-2003, 04:12 AM
That's great you guys!!! Thanks a bunch for your posts. I guess the best thing I can do is to read a couple of guides, just so I won't miss the important spots. If there is anything you can think of that I should be careful about or avoid, I appreciated the advice. I heard that ManhattAn (note the spelling, Steve!! ;) is a much safer place since Giuliani, but I guess you can never be careful enough.

Janak, I am going to take you up on your offer, but before asking you specific questions, I will have to do a little reading. When it comes to New York, I know absolutely nothing... except for one thing: I definitively MUST see the Museum of Natural History!! I've seen the one in London and it was so great!

I'm looking so much forward to it! And I don't even know exactly when we're leaving!!! :mrgreen:

K.

Janak Parekh
05-20-2003, 05:10 AM
If there is anything you can think of that I should be careful about or avoid, I appreciated the advice.
The guides will cover most of the common stuff. Here's a couple of mine.

1. Just use your gut instincts to avoid trouble. If people look suspicious, avoid them. If a street seems dark and unclean, and you feel uncomfortable wandering through it, don't. etc. Don't leave your wallet, purse, or baggage unattended or hanging out. That said, most of downtown, midtown, and the upper East/West side is very safe, and outsiders' perceptions from 20 years ago are usually wrong.

2. Make sure you have an approximate plan as to how to navigate the subway before entering it, or at least gain a little familiarity with the subway map. In addition to Tube/Metro, I suggest you ask at a token booth for a free print map -- those are by far the highest detail and have a wealth of info, but it takes time to get used to it. Typically, I see countless tourists stare at the map during the subway ride, not get it, and get utterly lost. Also, the subway tends to have construction and rerouting on the weekends; check www.mta.info -- it always has weekly updates.

3. If you are lost, don't be too hesitant to ask. New Yorkers are actually a surprisingly friendly bunch if you pass their veneer of indifference. Again, use #1 as a heuristic to figure out who to ask.

4. Be prepared to spend money. New York is not cheap. :)

When it comes to New York, I know absolutely nothing... except for one thing: I definitively MUST see the Museum of Natural History!! I've seen the one in London and it was so great!
It is indeed very good, and plan to spend a lot of time. But if you're a museum buff and are going to the Museum of Natural History, also make sure to hit the Metropolitan Museum, which is quite amazing in its own right. Given more time, hit the Museum of Modern Art, too (which is in Queens right now), and the Guggenheim. The four can easily eat up half of a week or more. ;) Let me not get started with performance (music, musical, or theater) venues... simply put, there is too much to do, even if you have a whole month.

--janak

disconnected
05-20-2003, 05:42 AM
I don't know how good these are, but on Handango there are several 5.00 apps by Knowplaces.

Sorry, I can never manage to post a link, but if you go to the PocketPC section of Handango and search for knowplaces, you get a list of 22 locations they have interactive maps for.

The ones in New York are Bryant Park, Bloomingdale's :D, Rockefeller Plaza, Columbia University, Grand Central Station, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and American Museum of Natural History.

eternalblue
05-20-2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks pony! tube is great! and the map for toronto is free! wheeee!

and it even has the new subway line in there too 8)

ntractv
05-20-2003, 02:39 PM
A few things I would recommend:

Marriot Marquis Hotel @ Times Square - they have a revolving bar/restaurant on the top floor.

I really found the NBC Tour @ Rockefeller Center most interesting. Seeing the set of Saturday Night Live makes you really appreciate the show more and what they have to go through each week.

And definitely a walk-through of China Town, SoHo, and the village

dj619gior
07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
im about 30 mins away from manhattan but when ever I go I still use these programs.

Metro
Mapopolis
and rough guides is great,

Fishie
07-14-2005, 01:27 AM
Welcome to our corner of the world :D

Personally, I use Tube. While it's not as cheap as Metro, the Pro version is also bundled with a very nice street map of midtown/downtown, which even I find occasionally useful (and if you've never been downtown, you definitely need some sort of street map if you're wandering down there. ;))

As to what to see, how many pages of advice do you want? Seriously, there is too much. Make sure to hit the tourist stops like Times Square, the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, the museums, the theaters, the great World Trade pit downtown, etc. That should keep you busy for the first few days if not more. ;) If you have a specific question, feel free to ask.

--janak

Urm, Manhattan is one of the easiest cities in the world to get around in, its a relatively young city that has been designed in blocks and the streets have simple numbers so you know that 23th is between 22th and 24th.
Couldnt be easier, with its landmarks etcetera as well, one has to be extremely dim or drunk to not know where you are going even if its the first visit.

If you want dificult to get around in try Paris or Tokyo.

Janak Parekh
07-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Urm, Manhattan is one of the easiest cities in the world to get around in
Apart from helping revive a dead thread, my dear Fishie, you're talking to someone who has virtually memorized the entire subway map and commutes in and around Manhattan every single day.

North of 14th Street is easy. However, south of 14th St. is not a precise grid, and the streets are not numbered. Here's a Google Maps link (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.706783,-74.011180&spn=0.011775,0.015533&hl=en) of the financial district to demonstrate my point. I've worked downtown in the past, so I can navigate it, but trust me, it's not intuitive for the first-timer. It's no Paris, Tokyo, or other US cities for that matter, but a map remains useful. And, for sure, the subway is very confusing to first-timers as well.

--janak

Fishie
07-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Urm, Manhattan is one of the easiest cities in the world to get around in
Apart from helping revive a dead thread, my dear Fishie, you're talking to someone who has virtually memorized the entire subway map and commutes in and around Manhattan every single day.

North of 14th Street is easy. However, south of 14th St. is not a precise grid, and the streets are not numbered. Here's a Google Maps link (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.706783,-74.011180&spn=0.011775,0.015533&hl=en) of the financial district to demonstrate my point. I've worked downtown in the past, so I can navigate it, but trust me, it's not intuitive for the first-timer. It's no Paris, Tokyo, or other US cities for that matter, but a map remains useful. And, for sure, the subway is very confusing to first-timers as well.

--janak

I ever had any problems, not on my first time either.

Janak Parekh
07-14-2005, 01:52 AM
You're a natural Manhattanite then. :P I've taken people around Manhattan many times, and most people aren't quite so comfortable with it.

--janak

dj619gior
07-14-2005, 07:11 PM
the first time I took a train with a friend in manhattan I ended up going the wrong way into brooklyn, lol I was fifteen or younger at the time.
It seems like a piece of cake now but sometimes I still have trouble with it.
Thats where my Ipaq comes in handy.

Fishie
07-15-2005, 02:55 AM
You're a natural Manhattanite then. :P I've taken people around Manhattan many times, and most people aren't quite so comfortable with it.

--janak

Love Manhattan.
Never in my life would I want to be there outside of work/vacation though.
Horrible place to live.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Horrible place to live.
Your opinion. And a wrong one at that. :P

--janak

Fishie
07-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Horrible place to live.
Your opinion. And a wrong one at that. :P

--janak

Hehehehe.
I love visiting big cities, cant ever imagine living in one.
If I had to though San Fran it would be.

And no, I dont swing that way.