View Full Version : The Smaller Things Get, The More I Seem To Take With Me

Ed Hansberry
05-18-2003, 07:00 PM
The list of things I take with me when going out of town seems to grow as time wears on, despite devices like the Pocket PC that make my life simpler. Why? Well, I can't <b><i>just</i></b> take my Pocket PC for my mobile computing needs. At a minimum I need my cell phone, a bluetooth enabled Nokia 3650, and Sony earbuds. Of course depending on how much travel I'll be doing and how long I'll be gone, I'll need the charger for each one. If I am going to be gone more than two days, I'll generally take my iPAQ's CF sleeve and the modem, just in case. If for some reason I am out of service via my cell phone, I can live without data access for 24-48 hrs. Beyond that, no. While I've got my CF sleeve, I might as well pack my Socket WiFi card <b><i>and</i></b> CAT5 (wired) ethernet card just in case there is some sort of broad band access. Gone for more than 3-4 days? Well, then the Stowaway keyboard and iPAQ 3800/3900 series adapter goes too, as well as my spare 128MB SD card and 256MB CF card, both crammed with music to supplement whatever I have loaded on my 512MB SD card. I'll take my external <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2844">portable speakers</a> too. Oh yeah, the charger for those as well. :roll: <br /><br />So anything over 3 days and I have 3 chargers, a Pocket PC, cell phone, keyboard, speakers, CF sleeve, several memory cards, enough cabling to rewire a car should the need arise, a modem, two ethernet cards and a few other things I haven't mentioned.<br /><br />I just hope I don't need to do any serious Office work. Then the laptop goes, along with another charger, its WiFi card... Somehow, 10 years ago I managed to get work done out of the office with a pen and paper.<br /><br />What do you take with you when you leave, either for personal or pleasure?

crutcherk
05-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I used to leave the office with a Daytimer planner that held my schedule, all of my contacts, and my list of tasks to do.

Now I too have to( :wink: ) have my Jornada, cell phone, Stowaway keyboard, cable for PDA to use the cell to check e-mail, at least 2 CF cards one of which has music and headphones.
The chargers go when the trip is more than 24 hours.
The ironic thing is that although all of the items can fit into my suit pockets they are combined about the same size as my old Daytimer.

Bob Anderson
05-18-2003, 07:19 PM
...Well, then the Stowaway keyboard and iPAQ 3800/3900 series adapter goes too...

I realize this is slightly off topic, but when I saw this post, I had to take the opportunity to ask my questions!!

1) Does this Stowaway adapter work with the 5400 series? and, if so,
2) Where can I buy one?

I have used the original stowaway with my iPaq 3635, but now that I've upgraded to the 5455 I need to find a way to make sure I have to pack more garbage along with me... so finding that adapter will make me bring the keyboard and adapter with me where ever I go!!!

Thanks,

Paul Martin
05-18-2003, 07:33 PM
It's not too bad on the day to day, just my Jornada 568 in the Vaja and belt clip. However, for a trip, it's the Stowaway, HP Pocket Keyboard, AC Charger, USB charger/cigarette adapter, spare battery, Targus modem, etc. Most of that can fit into an old RhinoSkin case I have. (I'm not wearing both on my belt however!) :crazyeyes: It's probably a good thing I don't have a cell phone or laptop and rarely travel for business. I don't think I could carry it all! Just might have to INvest in an eVest at some point.

Master O'Mayhem
05-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Ed... Check out Juice from iGo.... one unit to charge Auto-air -egular power w cables for Cell phones and PDAs.... I ordered one and i cant wait to ditch all my power adaptors... i currently carry air/auto.. then power for phone, pda camera Laptops I have 7 laptops... 3 ibms 2 sonys 1 toshiba table and Motion tablet (dont ask why... and i carry differnt ones all the time) ick.. i carry more chargers....

http://igo.ententeweb.com/mapfiles/juice.asp

Paragon
05-18-2003, 07:50 PM
What do you take with you when you leave, either for personal or pleasure?

My XDA, and its charger.....isn't that the point. :)

sponge
05-18-2003, 07:59 PM
2) Where can I buy one?

Call up Belkin, they'll send one for about $10.. though I haven't gotten mine yet and it's been a couple of weeks... luckily mine came in the box. Whether they work on the 5400 or not, I would assume so, but check if any other devices that plug into the serial port work.

Foo Fighter
05-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I find myself taking my Axim with me more often (despite its somewhat inconvenient bulky design) and leaving my Zire 71 at home. PPC just does more of what I want, and offers greater flexibility....not to mention less hastles (I'll save that for another discussion :evil: ).

bdegroodt
05-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Ed... Check out Juice from iGo.... one unit to charge Auto-air -egular power w cables for Cell phones and PDAs.... I ordered one and i cant wait to ditch all my power adaptors... i currently carry air/auto.. then power for phone, pda camera Laptops I have 7 laptops... 3 ibms 2 sonys 1 toshiba table and Motion tablet (dont ask why... and i carry differnt ones all the time) ick.. i carry more chargers....

http://igo.ententeweb.com/mapfiles/juice.asp

I second that! iGo rules! Plus you only need different tips for each device instead of the box most chargers have on them.

Lotto
05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Ed! You forgot your digital camera and peripherals!

Ed Hansberry
05-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Ed! You forgot your digital camera and peripherals!
Well, that is for vacation only, and if it is a light trip, the Nokia 3650 takes care of that for me. :)

Newsboy
05-18-2003, 09:22 PM
I recommend the Targus universal A/C adapter. Works great, very slim, light, and they have tips for darn near every device you can think of. I take one with me to charge my DVD player, Ipaq 1910, Intermec 6651, and Motorola Timeport.

Something else I recommend for frequent travelers: Belkin Cable Ties. Color-coded, velcro, durable, re-usable, and they clean up that mess of cables in a bag in a jiffy!

I travel to New York City nearly every weekend to see the lady (by plane), so I've gotten efficient about this. *snicker*

Ipaq 1910
Spare styli
Motorola Timeport
Instant Power Zinc Air emergency cell phone charger
256 MB SD card
Lexar JumpDrive Trio
Intermec 6651
512 MB CF card
CF WiFi card
CF Ethernet adapter
Retractable phone cord
Retractable Cat5 Ethernet cord
PCMCIA Orinico Gold WiFi card (better reception!)
Acom Data RF USB Mouse/Pointer
Targus Universal A/C adapter w/ tips
Sony DSC-U20 digital camera
128 MB MemoryStick
Pocket lens brush/cleaning kit
Two sets of 2 AAA NiMH batteries
Toshiba SD-P2000 widescreen portable DVD player
DVDs :D
Phonak FM Transmitter (like wireless headphones for my hearing aid!)

And a Boblbee Megalopolis Sport backpack to put it all in. ;)

Mirage
05-18-2003, 09:36 PM
At a minimum I need my cell phone, a bluetooth enabled Nokia 3650...

I've been trying to get this question answered for awhile now as many customer reps have no clue as to technical questions... does the Nokia 3650 Phone allow use of SD cards? please say yes because if not I'm going to add a new type of storage card to my collection which will make it complete. One more thing... is the memory limited to any specific size for the storage card? I've seen MMC cards at 256mb and was wondering (if the phone does indeed use mmc cards only) can it handle this? thanks a whole bunch for reading my post and even more thanks to those who can answer and who try to answer my questions... This is what makes or breaks me from buying the phone. :D

ps. does the jabra bluetoothe headset work with this phone?

-mirage

Radimus
05-18-2003, 10:12 PM
I have the jabra headset, which worked fine on my t68i. but now....

The Nokia 3650 recognizes it and links to it, but doesn't respond to it or use it.

I keep hoping that Nokia will come out with some firmware to correct this. At Jabra's website, they say it will work, but I haven't found anyone that has a working set.

dochall
05-18-2003, 10:12 PM
As an alternative to the Igo I have my normal laptop (fairly small) brick for a Tosh Tablet pc and USB Cables (for my Ipaq and phone). I also have a power brick (again fairly small) which provides a USB connector for charging. Possibly not as small as an Igo but more flexible in mutidevice charging and a lot cheaper.

welmoed
05-18-2003, 10:21 PM
What's always with me (at least when I go by car):

--my Very Old Technology StarTac phone
--which is plugged into a charger in the cigarette lighter
--and has a Plantronics headset plugged into it
--My Casio E125
--which is held by an Arkon cup mount
--plugged into a charger in another cigarette lighter
--plugged into a cassette adaptor
--holding a 256meg CF card with my latest e-book or tunes

I am no way near leading edge. I figure all this technology does what I need it to do; there's no real reason to upgrade. Yet. :wink:

Oh, and when I leave my home-on-wheels, the phone and PDA slip into the pockets of my eVest.

Last time we went on a long vacation, we had a separate box in the car for all the electronics: laptop, GPS, cell phones, and the various chargers and cables.

--Welmoed

Ed Hansberry
05-18-2003, 10:32 PM
At a minimum I need my cell phone, a bluetooth enabled Nokia 3650...

I've been trying to get this question answered for awhile now as many customer reps have no clue as to technical questions... does the Nokia 3650 Phone allow use of SD cards?
No. MMC only. :cry: It comes with a 16MB card and the videos are pretty small. I had a 32MB card laying around that I put in it though just because I could, but I doubt I'd have spent any money for a larger card until I found I really needed it. I doubt I ever will.

johncj
05-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Every work day, I carry one laptop bag, containing:
1 Dell Latitude c800 with a Xircom Ethernet/Modem combo card
1 extra hard drive for the Dell
1 MS wireless Intellimouse Explorer
1 CAT5 Ethernet cable (just in case)
1 Linksys PCMCIA 802.11b card
1 USB cable for Sanyo 4900 (the phone I carry in my pocket)
1 USB JumpDrive (256MB)
1 Toshiba e740 w(256MB CF card and 128MB SD card installed)
1 Toshiba expansion pack
1 stylus from my old Casio E-115, because Toshiba styli suck
1 Socket CF Ethernet Card
1 CF/PC Card adapter
1 extra 256MB CF card
1 pair of Sony earbuds
1 USB charging cable (to charge the Toshiba from the Dell)
2 spare AA batteries (for the mouse)

If I can't preposition a charger for the Dell at my work site, I carry one of those. If I could figure out how, I would carry a MS Natural keyboard with me too.

GregWard
05-18-2003, 11:40 PM
I have the jabra headset, which worked fine on my t68i. but now....

The Nokia 3650 recognizes it and links to it, but doesn't respond to it or use it.

I keep hoping that Nokia will come out with some firmware to correct this. At Jabra's website, they say it will work, but I haven't found anyone that has a working set.

There seems to be a bit of "ten year arrogance" syndrome about Nokia at the moment and one of the things I keep hearing is that their implementation of bt is different from everyone else's!

I can't lay may hands on a specific references - but I have previously seen quite a few concerning bt incompatability and Nokia. However, there are also (normally) replies from people who have found solutions - so it is worth digging around.

You don't say which Jabra you have - but I notice Expansys sell the BT100 and BT300 as compatible with the 3650 but not the BT200.

Glisson
05-18-2003, 11:55 PM
I have just recently began traveling for work on occasion and as such I am faily new to this. I leave again for Chicago in the morning and here is what I'm packing.

Dell Axim Advanced (the meastro croaked)
256 CF card with games, hanDbase, Geocaching notes and other time consumers
128 SD card with tunes and Audible Book
spare battery for Axim
Wall charger for Axim
AA powered charger ( battery extender )
AA Battery charger
Fuji Finepix 1400mx Digital Camera
2 Audiovox 9155-GPX phones ( one work and one personal )
Audiovox car charger
Audiovox Wall charger
Multi-output car charger for anything else!
Pharos CF GPS Card
Ambicom WiFi CF card
Spare CF Cards loaded with The Matrix for the in flight movie!
Sony headset
spare belt clips
spare stylus
Stock Axim case that I have cut belt loops into until I choose a case
Targus Universal Wireless Keyboard (just got this and really like it!)
Cigerette lighter splitter to charge 2 items at once

Was in Chicago 2 weeks ago just days after the maestro died and was lost for a week with no PPC. Was I ever glad when my Axim showed up! This week will be a different story!

Glisson

denivan
05-19-2003, 12:09 AM
For day to day use a Vaja case for my old ipaq 3660
with CF sleeve (silver slider) for holding my BT card
and 128 and 256 Mb CF cards is enough. Combined with my
t68i, this is all I need. I allways have a small battery charger
in the car (that uses normal batteries), because battery life on
a 3660 sux :(

On a trip I take my AC charger and a CF ethernet card. I had
a flexis foldable keyboard but it broke 2 times (non responsive keys), so
I've given up on that. When I buy a new PocketPC, I'm gonna need
a stowaway. Almost forgot...on a trip, earplugs are a necessity :)

Thank god that the t68i battery life is really good, normally a fully charged
phone will cover me during a short trip with normal (voice & GPRS + BT) usage
for about 4 days. The thing that bothers me the most is ipaq 3660 battery life, it can run
down before you know it, so it's not a reliable tool. When my carepaq expires I'll look for
a new PDA and battery life will be a major factor...

Kind regards,
Ivan
(message posted from my ipaq)

dh
05-19-2003, 12:28 AM
My company does not yet have a way to get into their Exchange server for a PPC, so I need to take my laptop with me. Here's my list:

Axim with 256MB SD card and 1GB CF card
Charger for Axim
Linksys 802.11b card for Axim
Sony ear buds
Dell Laptop
Charger for Laptop
D-Link 802.11b card for Laptop
USB sync cable - it's a power one but does not seem to charge my Axim.
Siemens cell phone. This works for ages on a charge, so unless I'm traveling for more than a week I don't need the charger.

Actually not too bad compared with some of you guys. I just can't wait to be able to get my e-mail using the Axim so I can leave the laptop at home.

ledowning
05-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Well let's see, I'm off to Denver tomorrow and I have:
Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with charger
HP Jornada 568 with AC charger
Pockettop keyboard
CF modem
128 CF card
CF LAN card
LinksysCF Wireless card
Socket CF serial card
HP CF digital camera
LAN cable
Motorola StarTac cell phone with AC charger and in car charger
Oh yeah, and a partridge in a pear tree.
:lol: :lol:

Umberto
05-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Great topic. I see I'm not the only one "struggling" to be efficient when it comes to traveling with this stuff. :)

For long trips, I take my HP 567 so I can check email. For short trips, I take my H1910. I try to get all my PDA accessories into an Eagle Creek Pack-It Quarter Cube. And I take my cell with me too.

Cell Phone
Cell Auto Power Cable
Cell Auto-to-AC Adapter (Belkin)

HP 567
256 MB CF Card
3-1 Sync/Charge Kit [Auto/USB/AC] (Belkin)
Pocket PC - Cell Phone Cable (Supply Net)
Targus Pocket Modem (CF)
Targus Retractable Phone Cord
Koss Earphones
HP Pocket Keyboard
HP Pocket Camera
Car Cassette Adapter
Tripp-Lite "The Travel" Surge Protector (2 outlets)

iPAQ H1910
256 MB SD Card
3-1 Sync/Charge Kit [Auto/USB/AC] (EB Cases)
Seido Emergency Power Charger w/9V Battery
HP Earphones (2.5 mm)
Car Cassette Adapter w/3.5-to-2.5mm adapter
Spare Stylus
Spare battery
Spare 32 MB SD Card
Tripp-Lite "The Travel" Surge Protector (2 outlets)

Master O'Mayhem
05-19-2003, 02:57 AM
Ok... depending on where I am going and what I am going for,,,,

First you have to start with my bag, I use the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW http://www.lowepro.com/images/PPages/Bag_pack/Colour/Stealth650.gif This is nawesome bag if you carry camera or video equipment.

Depending on the day or trip you will find the following in my Bag,

Laptop :
toshiba 3505 tablet pc or Sony Vaio SRX41P or IBM T40

nikon d100 with MB-100, 80-200mm f2.8 zoom, 50mm f1.2, 17-35 f3.5-4.5, SBX28DX Flash + Nikon charger
Sony DCRPC120 with additional boom mic
Canon Powershot 230 + charger

Assorted SD, MMC, Memory Stick, PCMCIA, and Compact Flash cards (too Numerous to mention)

Orange SPV, Nokia 3650 Compal SC1100 , Tmobile PPCPE and Samsung i700...

Thats a light day :)

myung
05-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Interesting topic, what about each of us to show a photo of all these "short trip" gadgets ? And how these all packed together neatly ... :wink:

adamz
05-19-2003, 03:41 AM
If I'm going somewhere just for the day:
- iPAQ H3970 with GSM/GPRS and 256MB SD card (that counts as one thing since it's all together.)
- wired headset for voice communications
- Aiptek Pencam

In the car there's:
- iPAQ cigarette lighter charger (charges both the 2000 mAh and 1000 mAh batteries)
- line in wire for the car stereo

For the weekend add:
- iPAQ A/C charger (charges both the 2000 mAh and 1000 mAh batteries)
- Nikon Coolpix 5000 with numerous CF cards and spare battery.
- Backpack with spare clothes, medicine, and a Dr. Pepper.

Longer than a weekend add:
- RCA to 1.5mm headset jack cable for plugging into people's stereos.
- Bluetooth USB adapter if I'm staying somewhere that has a computer..
- CF expansion pack
- Charger for Nikon Coolpix 5000
- Spare Ericsson R520m Bluetooth phone (in case I decide to not bring the iPAQ somewhere, but this is extremely rare.)
- more clothing

Still on my list to buy:
- Bluetooth Landline modem
- Bluetooth GPS reciever
- iPAQ mount for the motorcycle

But I remember back when I used carry stuff like a CD Player, books, CDs, Sega Game Gear w/ TV Tuner, etc., etc. These days, I put the CDs and books into the iPAQ along with maps, contacts, directions, games.. I seriously have trouble wanting to pack anything besides the iPAQ and clothing.

Gen-M
05-19-2003, 04:35 AM
I just have fun with airport security. They don't know what to do with my two laptops,
two cell phones,
and two PPCs (3850 with PCMCIA Sleeve and 5 gig drive and 1910)
and then they want to scan my two shoes!

Newsboy
05-19-2003, 05:08 AM
That's why I wear dress clogs when I travel now. Easier to slip on and off. :D

sfcrisp
05-19-2003, 05:13 AM
I can barely stand having a phone in the room with me, so I'm not going to be carrying one everwhere I go anytime soon.

I try to keep it as light as possible...

Analog watch with date (never could get used to digital)
Cross Matrix stylus/pen (dang I love pens)
Toshiba e755 and CF card (perfect except for the wifi)
RoadWired Micro-light (thanks for the tip)
Leatherman Wave with bits (best multi-tool out there)

drop
05-19-2003, 05:40 AM
I can barely stand having a phone in the room with me, so I'm not going to be carrying one everywhere I go anytime soon.

Me, too :wink: . Even I would carry a phone, don't expect me to turn it on :twisted: .

I go everywhere with my Axim, Sync and Charger, Song earbuds, MA701 WiFi card, and 2 SD cards with enough ebooks, music, games to keep me civil when waiting in lines. These are the stuffs we girls carry in our bags. Powder and lip sticks are sooooo 80's 0X .

cyp
05-19-2003, 05:51 AM
For work, I will carry:
1. NEC Versa E120 ultraportable notebook
2. 128MB USB drive
3. 20GB USB2.0 portable HDD
4. 3970 with 128MB SD
5. CF sleeve with 256MB CF (only use it to watch video when I am waiting for my clients)
6. USB sync cable
7. Nokia 3310 phone.

Any other time, it's just the iPaq and the Nokia.

For day to day use a Vaja case for my old ipaq 3660
with CF sleeve (silver slider) for holding my BT card
and 128 and 256 Mb CF cards is enough. Combined with my
t68i, this is all I need. I allways have a small battery charger
in the car (that uses normal batteries), because battery life on
a 3660 sux :(

After 2 years, my 3630 battery can't hold more than 2 hours of charge. Unless I am mistaken, the battery capacity deteriorates as we recharge the battery over and over again. I guess it is time to replace the battery. As for me I didn't bother to change the battery. I just got my self a new iPaq :D

Mitch D
05-19-2003, 06:52 AM
I just keep it simple...

My iPaq 3830 w/ 16MB SD card, CF Sleeve with 256MB CF card loaded with my fav tunes (this is a new addition for me), ear buds all attached to my new iProducts iHolsterIV.

Samsung N150 cell phone on my belt in a Kuny's holster

My Stowaway keyboard and the chargers are stuffed in my carry on with my Epson 3100Z digital camera (if I decide to take it)

Buddha
05-19-2003, 09:47 AM
When I read what everybody is carrying I ask myself If a lot of us wouldn't be better off with just taking the laptop :mrgreen: By the time I need a whole carry-on bag to bring along a multitude of accessoires I think I would rather just bring my laptop along instead ;) (not that that's gonna happen LOL )

I like to travel light, that's the whole point of having a pocketpc for me, so when i'm out I try to keep it to a minimum:

-Ipaq
-sync'n charge retractable cable
-SD memory

and if i'm away for a longer period of time I also take my MMC/SD reader/writer USBkey

One way or the other I'll always manage to find a usb port where I can charge my 'precious'. The only times I've had some problems was when travelling to places where electricity is'nt widely available and even there I've managed quite well 8)

denivan
05-19-2003, 10:08 AM
After 2 years, my 3630 battery can't hold more than 2 hours of charge. Unless I am mistaken, the battery capacity deteriorates as we recharge the battery over and over again. I guess it is time to replace the battery. As for me I didn't bother to change the battery. I just got my self a new iPaq :D

This is my 4th or 5th (lost count) 3660, I kept ordering new ones under Carepaq replacement warranty everytime my ipaq developped a new problem. I guess those iPaq's were just too new, the technology clearly didn't mature enough...now I'm holding out until some PocketPC 2003 pda's arrive, until then, my 3660 will have to keep working hard :-)

Arne Hess
05-19-2003, 10:16 AM
What do you take with you when you leave, either for personal or pleasure?
All you need is a Microsoft Smartphone, a keyboard and the right environment... ;-) :lol:

http://www.ppcw.net/images/news/bischofsmuetze_small.JPG (http://www.ppcw.net/images/news/bischofsmuetze.JPG)

When I leave the office/home to go to the city I take my Smartphone with me only, from 1 - 2 days I take my PPC in addition, > 2 days my notebook also.
Accessories: keyboards, SD/CF storage cards, GPRS CF/PCMCIA cards (W-LAN is part of my iPAQ H5400), Boxwave miniSync - the xda version works with the Oragne Smartphone as well plus the iPAQ version plus power adapter for USB cables from Gomadic.

piperpilot
05-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, let's see. Regardless of whether I am traveling for business or pleasure, on the typical trip lasting more than overnight, I generally take the same equipment, except that for business, I usually bring a laptop (including mouse, AC adapters, phone cord, etc.), borrowed from my organization's pool of loaners. My typical inventory of gear includes:

iPAQ 5455 with 256 MB SD card - two or three e-books, several games, about 30 MP3s, PocketSlides (so I can practice my presentation) - includes AC adapter, extra battery and either iPAQ micro keyboard (personal trips) or Targus stowaway keyboard (business trips)

SonyEricsson T68i Bluetooth enabled cell phone for use with the iPAQ, together with AC adapter if trip will be in excess of a couple of days

Sony personal DVD player with AC adapter and whatever Netflix movies are in my inventory. I could watch downloaded movies on the iPAQ, but the selection isn't that great and the screen is a bit small. It's an extravagance, I know, but it beats having to watch edited movies on the plane and paying $10 or so to watch movies at a hotel.

Sony Noise-Canceling headphones for listening to music or watching a DVD on the plane.

All this gear makes my briefcase VERY heavy and takes up a lot of room. I'm thinking of getting a special "gear" case and have been checking out The Pod from RoadWired. If anyone has one, I would be interested in your thoughts/impressions about it. If you want to see one, check it out here: http://www.roadwired.com/store/Product.cfm?categoryid=2&Productid=57

dollardr
05-19-2003, 01:39 PM
I thought PDA's were supposed to make life simplier but when travelling I found that I was packing more crap which takes up alot of a space. How do you people pack all of these accessories??? All I need is my 2.8 lb notebook with builtin wireless and a CDMA wireless modem.

Ultimately, I wish I could do away with my PDA and cell phone and just use a clam shell smart phone if they would ever get these going in the United States :(

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 03:45 PM
I thought PDA's were supposed to make life simplier but when travelling I found that I was packing more crap which takes up alot of a space. How do you people pack all of these accessories??? All I need is my 2.8 lb notebook with builtin wireless and a CDMA wireless modem.
I think, actually, this perception is wrong. PDAs are great day-to-day items, but for a long trip you really want an integrated solution, with bulkiness less of an issue because you'll be carrying travel bags, etc.

--janak

Radimus
05-20-2003, 02:35 AM
most people confuse the need for a PDA and it's toys.

PDAs are great for what they are, but to try to push them with external speakers and keyboards and VGA adapters and big memory cards CAN make them ALMOST as good as your basic laptop...

at some point you have to draw the line, this far is good for my iPaq, anything more and my laptop/tablet is what I need.

The right tool for the right job. PDAs are quick and convenient, but laptops have the power. When I break down to using the laptop, IT does the work and my iPaq plays MP3s and freecell

And now that phones can sync with outlook, I may drop the iPaq completely and go with a good tablet/laptop (with wifi and bluetooth)... unless I need a MP3 player...

Ekkie Tepsupornchai
05-20-2003, 06:16 PM
most people confuse the need for a PDA and it's toys.
I can't help but to agree with this statement. I do carry a load of equipment with me everywhere (I don't know where I'd be without my ListPro checklists) and I've stopped trying to fool myself into thinking that everything makes my life easier. It's added quite a bit of hassle to my weekly packing routines.

I've become convinced that all my extras are to make me feel more connected while providing me with more solo entertainment options. If we really used our PPCs for the kinds of tasks that an organizer used to fulfill, battery drainage would rarely be an issue and thus I wouldn't have to worry about AC adapters, battery packs, sync-n-charge cables (IR works fine for syncing), car adapters, etc. I also wouldn't think of bringing multiple SD cards or an SD card reader or a BT USB adapter (for my laptop) or a Stowaway (with the 38xx adapter) or a CF WiFi card, etc etc etc. All I'd really need is my PPC and a single AC adapter.

...but then there's the music and movies and internet surfing and email checking and ebook reading and map reading and the WiFi connecting and...

ledpocket
05-23-2003, 03:25 AM
My every day bag is a Targus digital camera bag filled with:
Fujitsu P-2040 (384mb ram, 80gb HD, CDRW/DVD combo, curusoe)
Extended battery
Linksys wifi
Targus mini-optical mouse
Boxwave minisync
Casio exelim digicam (256sd)
Dell axim 400mhz (Socket bt, 1180 wifi, 512sd, proporta stealth case)
axim extra battery, various pc card adapters, stylii, pens, cdr's
T-mo SE t68i on my hip (bt)

If I have to travel for day trips, I usually just take the axim+bt+wifi. Anything longer and I stuff the ac adapter for the fuji in the front pocket of the bag, and awaaaaaay I go!

btw: Autodesk Inventor 6 will run on this laptop, but its a little slow.

You can see a picture of my stuff in this thread (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&postid=70364#post70364url)

delfuhd
05-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Hmm well since High School sucks for not having WiFi hotspots lol, usually my regular bringing of mobile products to school is:

h3850
custom thin denim case
PockeTop IR keyboard
128 meg SD
Earbuds

On a day that I might use WiFi for Ad-Hoc with buddies, for various reasons... lol I bring extra

Socket Wifi Card
Linksys WiFi card
(one or the other)
1G cf card
Expansion Pack Plus
Extra Charger

And sometimes I have little mobile parties in my study hall, and that's when I pack an extra bag with
h3970
Cf expansion
the other WiFi card

So that's me.. Oh yeah, can't forget the cradle (I bring it in to connect to a certain pc in my graphic arts class that i installed activesync on (not really allowed lol but sometimes it's just necessary :lol: )