View Full Version : Gomadic cable - should I buy?

hyonj
05-17-2003, 10:43 PM
I was wondering if some people would give me their $0.02 regarding this thought. I've been reading about this for the past 2 hours, so, don't think that I haven't done the homework. :wink:

My question is that I have a sanyo 4500 that I would like to hook up to my laptop (no serial port-will need adapter) to check e-mail and send occassional faxes. It will be very lightly used and will very very very rarely be used for web pages or anything like that. No downloads, just business related work.

Now, the dilemma is that I'm not certain that I'm going to be staying with SprintPCS in the future, and/or if I'm going to keep the phone at all even if I do. But if I switch carriers, it won't be for another year probably. So, with some newer phones having USB sync abilities along with bluetooth and IR capabilities, is spending the $45 + serial to usb adapter costs worth it? All handhelds have IR capabilities and the newer will have wi-fi and/or bluetooth. A new phone would cost a little more than the $45 but the only reason I don't want to buy a SprintPCS phone is that I don't want to invest myself more to Sprint right now. I'd really like to try a GSM service sometime in the future.

I know that Gomadic allows you a lifetime of switching to match hardware but if the cable is unnecessary altogether, the switching is null. I would like some other opinions, perhaps some thoughts that I haven't had. The dilemma is that I don't REALLY absolutely need it, it would just be an added convenience not to have to get myself to a landline or internet access when I need to check e-mails.

BEFORE anyone starts a lecture on the changing of the technology and chasing that rainbow, and/or that there's always new technology coming out that will make current things useless - I already had that thought so, no need to SHARE THOSE two cents. :roll:

I'd like to place my order by Monday, so, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Brad Adrian
05-18-2003, 01:43 AM
I really like my cable. I understand your dilemma, but I've always found using a cable much more reliable than IR. It can also be a lot more convenient, because you don't have to worry about keeping ports aligned.

PetiteFlower
05-18-2003, 06:37 AM
I get about 56k modem speeds with my Sprint Vision phone and Gomadic cable; I can't keep all those stupid acronyms straight but the connection is reasonably reliable and fast. Plus it's a lot faster then any other solution out there. I say go for it.

hyonj
05-19-2003, 12:50 AM
:D Thanks for your inputs! :) I'll go ahead and order it tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get enough use out of it to justify the cost. :) Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts!