View Full Version : Converting several files at once

prismejon
05-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I just started converting some of my mpg-files to divx using VirtualDub and it works like a charm!

The only problem is that I want to set my computer to convert a bunch of files and then let it work while I'm at school. The way I'm doing it now I have to start the "2-Pass, first pass", and after it's done I have to start the "2-Pass, second pass" - this must be done for each file..

Is there a way I can make VirtualDub convert several files without having to interact with the application in between? Or is there any other good application that can do it?

Thanks!

Buddha
05-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Yes indeed you can :)

To do this:

Make your first file is ready for the DivX 1st pass, click on File>'Save as AVI' then give your 1st Pass a name (e.g. job1.avi) AND at the bottom of the window you should see an option: 'Don't run this job now, add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode' choose this option and then hit 'save'.

Next make your file ready for 2nd pass and hit 'Save as AVI' again give it a final name (e.g. job2.avi) and check the option at the bottom again. click 'save' and you're done!

What you have done is put those jobs in virtualdub's job-queue instead of executing them straight away. Following these steps you can queue as many jobs as you'd like and then when you're off to school you can have virtualdub batch encode them all.

To do this go to:

File>Job Control (or hit F4) and press Start

That's it!

(P.S. make sure you queue the jobs in the right order, making sure you do pass1 before you do pass2)

Good Luck!

dh
05-18-2003, 02:23 AM
That's good info Buddha. I had been wondering about the same thing.
Thanks!

prismejon
05-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks Buddha! Hehe you're at lest "The enlightened one" in regards to video compression..

pnjm
05-26-2003, 04:36 PM
It's a bit off-topic, but I figure anybody who knows about conversion has to have the answer to this:

I want to convert my *.avi files into windows media files to view on my PDA. These are small videos taken using my Canon Digital Ixus V, so they should fit just nicely into my PDA for display.

How do I do this? If it's software that I've to get, then which?

thanks

PN

Tom W.M.
05-28-2003, 02:50 PM
It's a bit off-topic, but I figure anybody who knows about conversion has to have the answer to this:
I want to convert my *.avi files into windows media files to view on my PDA. These are small videos taken using my Canon Digital Ixus V, so they should fit just nicely into my PDA for display.
I'd say you should try Windows Media Encoder, here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp). There are plenty of treads around concerning what settings you should use, if you need help.

Steven Cedrone
05-28-2003, 03:49 PM

thanks

PN

Or, if you have XP you can use Windows Movie Maker (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp)...

Steve

dh
05-28-2003, 04:21 PM
If it's a .avi file, would it not play "as is" in PocketMVP?

Talyn
05-29-2003, 01:26 AM
If it's a .avi file, would it not play "as is" in PocketMVP?

It might, it might not. It will depend on what resolution the original was encoded at, among other things. PocketMVP will try to shrink it down to size, obviously, but this takes a lot of CPU power, and may render the video unplayable as a result.

Your best bet is to re-encode the video using VirtualDub or some other avi editor and resize/rotate it specifically for the Pocket PC screen.

pnjm
06-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey thanks people, I have downloaded the encoder and am enjoying video clips on my PDA right now - albeit somewhat jerky and blocky. Got to work on the settings but it's great to be able to view my favourite home videos on the move...

PN

prismejon
06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
I've managed to encode several files at once using the job-function in virtualdub, but it asks if I want to overwrite the log-file between each job. Is there a way I can make it do this automaticly??

Buddha
06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Just a side-note to the viewing .avi's from a Canon camera: If I'm not mistaken the Canon cam records movies in Motion-JPEG format which it sticks in an .AVI container

(an .avi file is just a 'box' that can hold an audio and video format [eg mpeg4, cinepak, etc..], depending on which format is in there PocketMVP will read it or not. I can't test if it works as my cam doesn't save movies in Motion-JPEG format.)

If I'm right you should also be able to play these .avi's directly on your ppc using PQV (http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/PQV.html) the great image viewer which also allows to watch movies made with cam's

darrylb
06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Or, if you have XP you can use Windows Movie Maker (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp)...
Steve

The great thing about Windows Movie Maker is that it will convert to a format (WMV) specifically to cater for the PocketPC. This should be your first stop!!!

Buddha
06-09-2003, 10:42 AM
I've managed to encode several files at once using the job-function in virtualdub, but it asks if I want to overwrite the log-file between each job. Is there a way I can make it do this automaticly??

When I do some batch encodings it doesn't ask for anything (I use divx 5.0.2) it just encodes fine without asking questions. Check in the DivX Config panel that the following is unchecked:

'Protect Log/mv file' Uncheck this and the problem should be gone.

Good Luck

pnjm
06-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Just a side-note to the viewing .avi's from a Canon camera: If I'm not mistaken the Canon cam records movies in Motion-JPEG format which it sticks in an .AVI container

(an .avi file is just a 'box' that can hold an audio and video format [eg mpeg4, cinepak, etc..], depending on which format is in there PocketMVP will read it or not. I can't test if it works as my cam doesn't save movies in Motion-JPEG format.)

If I'm right you should also be able to play these .avi's directly on your ppc using PQV (http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/PQV.html) the great image viewer which also allows to watch movies made with cam's

Hi

thanks - got your message about PQV and viewing movies directly on my PDA. It's good to know, but I won't be getting PQV for now. Making movies on my PC for downloading to the PDA suits me just fine.

Regards

PN