View Full Version : Another reason to love my Pocket PC

Crystal Eitle
05-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Reason # 132 why I love my Pocket PC: it always comes in handy, and I'm always finding new ways to use it. I was at a rock concert tonight with my friends, having the usual hard time trying to hear each other over the music. I was pointing out people in the crowd, and my pals could not hear me at all.

Finally I whipped out my Pocket PC, opened a new Note, and wrote "check out that 80's punk rock chick over there!"

Pretty cool. Neat way to write notes back and forth at a concert when you can't be heard over the din.

Sheynk
05-17-2003, 06:03 AM
did you wave your PPC with the backlight on to imitate a lighter :?:

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X

Steven Cedrone
05-17-2003, 06:09 AM

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X

I was going to say the same thing, but then I thought: "Do they still do that at concerts???" :oops:

Oh well... :wink:

Steve

Crystal Eitle
05-17-2003, 08:20 AM

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X

Dude, I'm not that much of a geek!

Pony99CA
05-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Reason # 132 why I love my Pocket PC: it always comes in handy, and I'm always finding new ways to use it. I was at a rock concert tonight with my friends, having the usual hard time trying to hear each other over the music. I was pointing out people in the crowd, and my pals could not hear me at all.

Finally I whipped out my Pocket PC, opened a new Note, and wrote "check out that 80's punk rock chick over there!"

Pretty cool. Neat way to write notes back and forth at a concert when you can't be heard over the din.
Yeah, because a pen and paper are so inconvenient. :roll: :rofl:

Actually, for a guy, I might understand this, but I would have thought a woman would have a pen and paper in her purse (or were purses not permitted?). I'm not sure I'd want to risk my Pocket PC in a concert crowd for a note like that, though. I hope you weren't in the mosh pit. :lol:

Steve

Crystal Eitle
05-17-2003, 01:49 PM
[Yeah, because a pen and paper are so inconvenient. :roll: :rofl:

Actually, for a guy, I might understand this, but I would have thought a woman would have a pen and paper in her purse (or were purses not permitted?).

Yeah, but paper doesn't light up in the dark!

Also, I stopped carrying paper (except for a teensy-tiny notebook I put in my purse after someone asked for my URL one day and I didn't have any paper on which to write it and give it to him. And by teensy-tiny, I mean like, the size of a CF card).

The whole goal of the Pocket PC was to eliminate a whole host of other things I was carrying in my purse, like notebook, planner, checkbook register, etc. And it's worked - I was even able to switch to a smaller purse! :clap:

(By the way Pony, do you ever sleep?)

Mona13
05-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I agree with Crystal Eitel. I have a much smaller purse and it's not near as heavy! I do carry a little post-it pad, the smallest size they make, but why waste it when I use my iPAQ for almost everything. I also only use the paper when I want to give it away.

I eliminated all the other things, books, checkbook register, planner, notebook, etc.

Love the e-books!

Mona

PetiteFlower
05-17-2003, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't carry my purse into a concert, but I WOULD take my Axim as long as I was wearing pants or a jacket with good pockets.

Pony99CA
05-18-2003, 05:11 AM
(By the way Pony, do you ever sleep?)
I'm a night person, but I get two to four hours whether I need it or not. :-) If I ever get another job, that may change.

Steve

Kati Compton
05-18-2003, 05:59 AM
I was going to say the same thing, but then I thought: "Do they still do that at concerts???" :oops:

You're not *THAT* old. I mean, just because some of your favorite rock stars are grandparents..... Umm... Okay, maybe you are. :twisted:

Kati Compton
05-18-2003, 06:01 AM
BTW - I have a seemingly never-ending quest to find the perfect sized purse. Everything I've found is too small or too big. It needs to fit a PPC, a digital camera, a wallet, cell phone, and keys. Preferably in as small a package as possible. But I digress.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Crystal Eitle
05-18-2003, 06:07 AM
BTW - I have a seemingly never-ending quest to find the perfect sized purse. Everything I've found is too small or too big. It needs to fit a PPC, a digital camera, a wallet, cell phone, and keys. Preferably in as small a package as possible. But I digress.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

I just found the perfect purse. I had to shop around a bit, and it cost me $110, but it has a separate pocket for my cell phone, another pocket that only holds my keys and lip balm, a pocket on the back that holds my Pocket PC, and a roomy interior pocket for everything else (which I try to keep to a minimum), with another small zipper pocket inside that I keep a couple important things in, like my cardkey for work. I just love it.

I think there's a bundle to be made in making stylish e-purses for women, with custom pockets for cell phones, PDAs, cameras, etc. A wonderland of pockets on the inside, but sleek and stylish on the outside. Kind of like an eVest, but not as geeky. :wink:

Kati Compton
05-18-2003, 06:19 AM
I just found the perfect purse. I had to shop around a bit, and it cost me $110, but it has a separate pocket for my cell phone, another pocket that only holds my keys and lip balm, a pocket on the back that holds my Pocket PC, and a roomy interior pocket for everything else (which I try to keep to a minimum), with another small zipper pocket inside that I keep a couple important things in, like my cardkey for work. I just love it.

Where'd you get it??? $110 is a bit pricey for me (I feel guilty paying more than $40), but if it really is that good I might be able to pull it off....

Crystal Eitle
05-18-2003, 06:27 AM
I got it at Marshall Field's. It was a bit out of my price range as well, but I figure if I can make it last a few years, it should be worth it. The brand name is Perlina. I was going to link to their site in my entry (www.perlina.com), but it was a crappy site with frames that was taking forever to load, so I didn't bother.

Somebody should really start making ePurses....

PetiteFlower
05-18-2003, 06:50 AM
I got my perfect purse for $20 at Target. It's got a large snap pocket for most stuff(including PDA and could probably fit a camera in there too depending on what else was in there), a large zipper pocket for my checkbook and wallet, a cell phone pocket in the front which is open on top for easy access and another pocket the same size next to it that closes with velcro, plus a tiny zipper compartment within the large snap pocket for important papers, AND it has another compartment in the bottom that closes with a zipper which holds a removable makeup bag(with a mirror), and another zipped pocket in there to put pencils or makeup in if you choose to keep the makeup bag separate. It's AWESOME and not even too large!

Kati Compton
05-18-2003, 07:00 AM
I'll take a look at that brand....

As for the other purse suggestion, I require my purses to have zippers on all compartments holding anything that costs more than $2.50... :)

davidspalding
05-18-2003, 08:00 AM
I have a Patagonia Orbiter bag (wonder if I have a picture ... hmmmm), which has sufficient space for phone, pda, jacket, lunch, et al. It fits me (a guy) but it's clearly a girl's bag -- the waist strap barely wraps me, and I'm only a size 44 chest.

http://www.chromejob.com/images/pda/orbiter%20green%20spark.jpg

They have a bag called the Atom which is smaller, and might suit your needs stated above. Now, I KNOW, these are not "purses." But their damned handy "daily stuff" bags. Oh, also the Half-Mass courier bags are good purse alternatives.
Oh, I also carry one of their fanny pages (I call mine a different name, replace the 'n' with 'g,' because i think they look silly strapped on to one's "fanny"), it holds just enough: wallet, pda, phone, keys. But I wear it like the Orbiter, hanging under my arm with the strap over the opposite shoulder, like a bandolier. The shape is perfect for wearing like this. More comfortable, too.

http://www.chromejob.com/images/pda/nuevo%20hip%20vault%20bluesmoke%20sm.jpg

PetiteFlower
05-18-2003, 08:16 PM
I don't put the PDA in the zip compartment because I take it out too much. In fact I don't put it in there at all unless I'm wearing clothing without pockets. But still, check out Target, they had a couple of different varieties of the same bag, and they're cheap too!

disconnected
05-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Now, see, here is an obvious benefit to having some females on the site -- some posts about a really important subject :D

I've been on a many-year quest for the perfect purse. I've looked in every store in every city I've been in, with no success. Department stores have hundreds, but, apparently, my requirements are abnormal. 8O

I take the bus to work, and feel I must carry most of my life with me, to be prepared for any eventuality.

The purse must have a shoulder strap, preferably with some padding (one of my shoulders is permanently higher than the other, from carrying an overloaded shoulder bag for years, but I can't imagine dragging around any other kind of bag).
It doesn't need to be dressy; I prefer leather, but could live with nylony backpack type material.
It has to completely close, preferably with a zipper, so I can drop it upside down without losing anything.
Ideally, I want a back outside zipped pocket, and a front zipped pocket, large enough to hold printed e-tickets folded once, i.e. at least nine inches across.
The inside should have at least one zip pocket in the back, so I can find my keys, work-id, bus pass, etc.
The main section of the interior should be divided into two or three sections lengthwise, so everything doesn't end up in a heap; a cellphone pocket would be nice, but isn't essential.
It has to be big enough for phone, ipaq, headphones, small nylon bag (holds phone cord, back-up sd card, and a couple of other cards), small cosmetic bag, small folded umbrella, sunglass case, checkbook, two-sided change purse (bills and change), credit card case, paperback book (not everything is available as an ebook), and various small odds and ends (pens, scraps of paper, stamps, etc). It should have enough room to occasionally carry a hardcover book or a camera. I would love it if it had an expandable pocket for a water bottle outside on one end.

I do have one neat bag I got at an Eddie Bauer discount store. It's black nylon, with detachable shoulder strap, and also a foldaway waist strap so you can wear it around your waist. It has front and back zip pockets, some stretchy cord things on the front that you can hang a light jacket or something from, and also two stretchy pockets at the ends for water bottles, unbrella, etc. I'd use it every day except it just isn't big enough, so I just use it on vacation and spend a lot of time deciding what stuff I don't need each day.

Pony99CA
05-19-2003, 02:29 AM
OK, I'm officially sorry I mentioned purses in the first place. :-)

When I go out, my iPAQ is in my iHolster (http://www.iproductsonline.net). I also have a Targus digital camera bag that can carry my Stowaway keyboard, Canon Digital Elph, various cables and batteries, etc. I would have posted a link to the Targus bag, but they don't seem to carry that one any more.

Steve

Kaber
05-19-2003, 04:38 AM
I've posted this before (http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/ipaq_crap.jpg). I just have to have it all with me.

Crystal Eitle
05-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I think ladies have a unique problem here. It seems like guys can get away easier with carrying backpacks and/or ugly nylon sport bags. I had a serious backpack habit, but I had to give it up because it made me look like a kid (I look young enough to begin with). I bought a nice leather purse, and instantly began getting better service in stores, etc. Right or wrong, people tend to judge you by your clothes, and for women, I find that you have to carry a purse to get taken seriously. Or at least, not carry a backpack.

I'm glad I found the right purse. For others, the quest continues....

Janak Parekh
05-19-2003, 03:43 PM
I think ladies have a unique problem here. It seems like guys can get away easier with carrying backpacks and/or ugly nylon sport bags.
Actually, it depends. Try consulting in midtown NYC/downtown NYC with a backpack. Although no one says anything explicit, it feels too informal at times. I felt better carrying a laptop bag around. However, I'm now thinking of going back to a backpack, as I'm back again in academia and having two straps is much more comfortable, especially if I need to carry a laptop.

--janak

Kaber
05-19-2003, 08:59 PM
dora the explorer (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000640Y4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) knows its all about the backpack backpack

Crystal Eitle
05-19-2003, 09:11 PM
dora the explorer (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000640Y4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) knows its all about the backpack backpack

Yah, but Dora the Explorer doesn't work in a bank!!!

TawnerX
05-19-2003, 10:53 PM
I still think the sexiest thing women can carry while doning armani executive suits is one of those small metallic hard case, the one made to carry precission instruments. (the kind of briefcase that will make you think, ehrr... is she carrying half billion bond in there, or is that a night scope for the machine gun?)

Bonus point if the suitcase has silver plated engraving of the company logo.
8O

..mmm... maybe the next matrix's femme fatale will use the prop above.
...well, maybe not...

PetiteFlower
05-20-2003, 04:42 AM
We're talking about things which are practical and professional to carry, not "sexy".

Kati Compton
05-20-2003, 04:45 AM
We're talking about things which are practical and professional to carry, not "sexy".

But frequently there's a balance - I want practical AND stylish. Hence no nylon backpack in freaky colors.

PetiteFlower
05-20-2003, 04:48 AM
Stylish yeah but not "sexy" as in attempting to entice men; that's not generally a concern of mine when selecting my business attire or accessories.

Kati Compton
05-20-2003, 04:51 AM
Stylish yeah but not "sexy" as in attempting to entice men; that's not generally a concern of mine when selecting my business attire or accessories.

;) I hear you. I vain enough, however, that if two things tied for practicality and style, but one was more sexy, I'd choose the sexy one.

That's how I chose my husband anyway..... 8)

PetiteFlower
05-20-2003, 04:59 AM
That's how I chose my husband anyway..... 8)

*giggle*

TawnerX
05-20-2003, 05:10 AM
It's the attributes of object to convey aspect of identity, not a collection of items arranged to imprint a notion in the targetted audiance.

It will be pretty boring and mono dimensional if everybody does the later only, walking Sears catalog.

(and, ... I have no idea what I am talking about. :lol: )

Unreal32
05-20-2003, 05:33 PM
It's the attributes of object to convey aspect of identity, not a collection of items arranged to imprint a notion in the targetted audiance.

It will be pretty boring and mono dimensional if everybody does the later only, walking Sears catalog.

(and, ... I have no idea what I am talking about. :lol: )

We can tell... I have no idea what you just said!!!