View Full Version : Toshiba E750 vs Dell Axim X5

05-17-2003, 05:50 AM
If you were given the choice between the Toshiba E750 (400MHz PXA255, WiFi, +SD-card) and a Dell Axim X5 (400MHz PXA25x, +WiFi-card, +SD-card), which one would you choose and why?

From what I can see the two are very alike in performance and features, the question is thus how it works in practice, and how is support, software updates etc?

Also, the Dell features 64MB of true RAM + 48MB of ROM, what about the E750 with it's 64MB of RAM, is this RAM which does not get inflicted upon by ROM? like with the Viewsonic V35 (where it's 64MB of RAM really is 36MB) or the HP iPAQ 1910/1915 (where the 64MB equals 46MB). 48MB of ROM seems to me a nice feature, especially now when WinCE .NET is around the corner. Also, Dell is quick at issuing software updates to it's device, does the same go for E750 (or, Toshiba in general)? How is support, really that is?

The bad sides which have been mentioned on the Internet that I have been able to find is that sometimes Dell support seem to suck, but if this is just bad luck or not I cannot say, for the Toshiba device I saw something about the entire device going BLANK if you forget to charge the device for a few (3?) days, isn't the device supposed to turn itself off and keep things alive by using the backup battery then? Please enlighten me about this.

Me, I'm a software developer which intend to use the device for development primarily, in case you wonder.

spursdude
05-17-2003, 06:54 AM
I would go with the Toshiba e750. With integrated wireless, the CF slot is left open (unlike on the Dell). The e750 has a slightly larger screen (3.8 vs. 3.5), but the e750 is slightly slimmer. It's a difference about .1" - nothing much, but better than the Dell nonetheless.

As for RAM/ROM, both units have 64MB RAM. You should be able to access all of that RAM, and it's volatile storage - drain your battery completely, and the RAM is flushed. The Dell has 48MB ROM, but not all of that is accessible. Much of it is used for the OS and built-in software. I'll let some Dell users clue you in on how much is user accessible. The e750, on the other hand, has 32MB ROM smilar to the Dell's ROM, but then throws in 32MB more of user accessible ROM, adding up to 96MB accessible to the user. So basically, the e750 provides more built-in storage for your needs.

I haven't heard great things about support for either company. I know Dell ships out replacement models left and right, after giving useless tech support. And for Toshiba, tech support isn't the greatest either. If your read the forums, you'll see there are plenty of unhappy (and happy too!) users of both Toshibas and Dells.

And you most definitely won't have to charge your device every three days - the battery will last much longer than that when off.

(May I suggest this be moved to the Just Chattin' forum to get more neutral opinions?)

prismejon
05-17-2003, 08:33 AM
If the price doesn't matter I'd definetly go with the Toshiba. It has a faster CPU, more memory, bigger screen and internal WiFi.

The Dell with WiFi is $355 and the Toshiba is $530, so there is quite a price difference..

Pat Logsdon
05-17-2003, 09:43 AM
I'd go with the Dell. Any decent WiFi card will be much more power efficient than an internal solution. It's also cheaper, AND it seems like Dell is really on the ball with releasing updates and fixes. The first build was A01 back in December, and now we're at A04, I believe.

I'd be VERY surprised if Dell didn't get a PPC 2003 update out PDQ after it's released, whereas Toshiba (as discussed in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11393&highlight=toshiba+euu3)) seems to be a little slow on the draw...

VisualMonster
05-17-2003, 05:24 PM
I'd go with the Toshiba... actually, i did go with the Toshiba. I got the e755 a while ago, and it's been great ever since. I have WiFi and a 1 GIG CF card, and whenever they have 1 GIG SD Cards (if they ever do), i'll get one of those too. I'll have the SD Card mainly for my digital camera, but i'll poop it into the PDA to maybe download some pics or use it for extra space if i ever need it. The transreflective screen looks awesome on the Toshiba too. I got mine for $400, if u can find a deal close to that, definatly get the Toshiba.

PetiteFlower
05-17-2003, 08:36 PM
If money was no object I would go with the Toshiba. If cost is important then get the Dell. Personally using a card for wifi wouldn't bother me.

dh
05-17-2003, 09:35 PM
I have the Dell and I'm very happy with it. I bought it just before the e750 was released.

The reasons for buying the Dell, rather than wait for the Tosh were:

Price - of course
Reports of short battery life and poor support from Toshiba.
Good chance of PPC2003 upgrade from Dell.

I must admit that it would be nice to have built-in WiFi rather than having to swap out my CF card all the time.

You are sensible to be looking at PPCs with two expansion slots. I would never buy a single slot device (unless SD cards of more than 1GB and less then $200.00 arrive on the market)

jaja_75
05-19-2003, 07:17 PM
If money was no object I'd go with the Toshiba :
. USB host capability (linked with external 30 Gb Hard Disk drive)
. larger screen (3.8" vs 3.5")
. built-in WiFi
. 32 Mb Nand
. thinner (0.60 vs 0.71)