View Full Version : New HP Pocket PC Rumours Starting to Surface

Jason Dunn
05-17-2003, 05:33 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78702&perpage=10&pagenumber=1' target='_blank'>http://discussion.brighthand.com/sh...10&pagenumber=1</a><br /><br /></div>Rumours about the forthcoming HP Pocket PCs are starting to surface in this Brighthand thread. Looks like it will be an exciting next few months!

Shadowcat
05-17-2003, 06:59 AM
Well, it will also use the new xscale processor. Otherwise it seems like nothing has changed.

lurch
05-17-2003, 07:12 AM
You know, I've just been convincing my wife to trade in her Visor for a Pocket PC...... maybe I could wait a few months, then give her mine and I could get a new one. :way to go:

Houston, we have lift-off!

achille
05-17-2003, 07:12 AM

dcharles18
05-17-2003, 09:36 AM
wasnt xscale introduced with the 39xx?

Yes, but there is a newer version of it available now, and these would be the first HP devices to have that newer version.

Sslixtis
05-17-2003, 09:43 AM
I found this at pocketpcitalia.com.

- iPAQ 1930, CPU XScale PXA255 200Mhz, 64MB of Ram, 16MB of Rom, slot SDIO
- iPAQ 1940, XScale PXA255 a 200Mhz, 64MB of Ram, 32MB of Rom, slot SDIO and integrated Bluetooth.

Cheers!

Pony99CA
05-17-2003, 09:43 AM
wasnt xscale introduced with the 39xx?
Yes, but there is a newer version of it available now, and these would be the first HP devices to have that newer version.
To be more specific, the 3900 series (and the 5450 and 1910) use the PXA250 XScale processors. The newer iPAQs will use the PXA255, which has a 200 MHz bus, removing the 100 MHz bottleneck of the older processor.

Steve

ricksfiona
05-17-2003, 11:12 AM
The 1940 sounds like a sweet deal! If it looks like the current 1910, I'll buy one for when I don't take my 5550 :D Gotta keep the accessories down to a minimum when wearing a suit :)

I still wish HP would release a high-end Pocket PC that goes beyond 400MHz and 200MHz bus. Main reason: TransACT! 2.0. It's a great program, but it's a major CPU and memory hog. The 128MB is great, but I'm not sure if the 5550 will give me 'almost' instantaneous database access. I kid you not, it takes a good 20 - 30 seconds to open my 700 contact database on my 3870.

paris
05-17-2003, 12:19 PM
I still wish HP would release a high-end Pocket PC that goes beyond 400MHz and 200MHz bus. Main reason: TransACT! 2.0. It's a great program, but it's a major CPU and memory hog. The 128MB is great, but I'm not sure if the 5550 will give me 'almost' instantaneous database access. I kid you not, it takes a good 20 - 30 seconds to open my 700 contact database on my 3870.

I believe you need to sue the guy who wrote that program and not to look for a faster pocket pc to be able to run a bad algorithm.

The 1940 sounds like a sweet deal! If it looks like the current 1910, I'll buy one for when I don't take my 5550 Gotta keep the accessories down to a minimum when wearing a suit I have been thinking the same thing lately but my bank says that i dont have money for either the 1940 or the suite :)

heov
05-17-2003, 02:51 PM
pics

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31755

roberto_torres
05-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Do you think these iPAQs will have longer battery life?

I read somewhare that the PXA 255 consumes much less battery life than the PXA 250.

I loved the 1910 but was turned down by the 200 Mhz speed and marginal battery.

possmann
05-17-2003, 04:06 PM
I admit - I got sucked into this too - but after looking around to find out what has improved on this model... well more memory is great and a faster cpu. I was hoping for this device to be their release into the ppcpe world...
Guess I'll be waiting a little longer... must be gentle to my 3600

kagayaki1
05-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Wow, that Brighthand discussion board was great. There were some excellent points made about desire for new devices and adding capabilities.

One thing no one seems to be noticing is HPs shift in market segmentation. Back in ye olde day, there was segmentation by device features (mainly memory). Then, there was segmentation by high and really low (remember the low end Jornada, the Toshiba e310, and now the 1910).

Today, with the introduction of three levels of Pocket PC (55xx, 22xx, and 19xx), it's a clear indication of the success of Pocket PC. This kind of segmentation never would happen unless the industry's health was alive and thriving.

I think this dabbling into a "middle market" is good for HP. Trying to be objective and ignoring my geekyness, I can see the 55xx devices are truly intended for enterprise applications (and power users, like us). But, when it comes to high-volume retail sales, having two models targeted to consumers (22xx and 19xx) means HP is paying attention to the discriminate nature of "most users."

The 22xx is flat out going to kick ass.

-Jason

kaiden.1
05-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Where the hell is the CF Card? My Goodness; How long will it take HP to finally put that in? :evil: They just don't want to put more money in redesigning the thing to get one in. My goodness; we all want to add more things and have better capabilities, and they just are stubbornly not moving a damn inch! :evil:

String us along with a few new things at a time as we spend spend spend putting up a lot of money for one feature at a time as they add it. Well not any more! I'm not budging until they put one in!

dcharles18
05-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Umm . . . the 2200 series does have a CF slot. Personally, I think it is smart of them to maintain the original formfactor in one of their lines, otherwise those who have alot invested in accessries have an option without being completely hosed.

Crystal Eitle
05-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Umm . . . the 2200 series does have a CF slot. Personally, I think it is smart of them to maintain the original formfactor in one of their lines, otherwise those who have alot invested in accessries have an option without being completely hosed.

I'm pretty excited about the 2200 (dual slots! woo!). Any word on whether it will have a jog wheel? I'm guessing no :? . I tried out an old Jornada pocket PC at a computer show and I was so impressed with the jog wheel - I have the feeling it would make reading e-books a much more pleasant experience.

I love my 1910, but I'm probably going to get a new Pocket PC with more capabilities after the new ones come out this summer. The 2200 looks pretty exciting, but I dunno, I might just have to get an Axim. I'll be able to decide, I think, once the 2200s hit the stores and I can pick one up and touch it and look at it. I'll probably give the 1910 to my mom or sell it to one of my friends - I want everyone I know to have a Pocket PC!

Join us... :twisted:

ctmagnus
05-17-2003, 07:40 PM
I want everyone I know to have a Pocket PC!

Join us... :twisted:

So true. However, I have to deal with the type that are "Why do you need more than one computer?"

:pukeface:

dcharles18
05-17-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty excited about the 2200 (dual slots! woo!). Any word on whether it will have a jog wheel? I'm guessing no :? . I tried out an old Jornada pocket PC at a computer show and I was so impressed with the jog wheel - I have the feeling it would make reading e-books a much more pleasant experience.

I love my 1910, but I'm probably going to get a new Pocket PC with more capabilities after the new ones come out this summer. The 2200 looks pretty exciting, but I dunno, I might just have to get an Axim. I'll be able to decide, I think, once the 2200s hit the stores and I can pick one up and touch it and look at it.

Yeah, I am eagerly awaiting the 2200 myself. Hopefully the specs I have seen for the high end one are accurate (dual slots, BT, 128MB RAM).

Jog wheels are really nice to have. That is chief among other things that I miss about my old EM-500. SW, did you know that there are utilities out there that will allow your record button to function as a page down button? Comes in handy while reading ebooks.

Newsboy
05-17-2003, 10:22 PM

Ooh ooh ooh!!! Possible 1910 PPC 2003 ROM upgrade? I hope so!!!

Crystal Eitle
05-17-2003, 11:09 PM
SW, did you know that there are utilities out there that will allow your record button to function as a page down button? Comes in handy while reading ebooks.

8O Since I almost never use the record button, this would be perfect! Do you have a link?

Duncan
05-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Since I almost never use the record button, this would be perfect! Do you have a link?

One of them is GoLandscape! ($1.99) - http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7139 - which includes re-mapping the record button.

Gremmie
05-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Where the hell is the CF Card? My Goodness; How long will it take HP to finally put that in? :evil: They just don't want to put more money in redesigning the thing to get one in. My goodness; we all want to add more things and have better capabilities, and they just are stubbornly not moving a damn inch! :evil:

String us along with a few new things at a time as we spend spend spend putting up a lot of money for one feature at a time as they add it. Well not any more! I'm not budging until they put one in!

Well, the 2200 has dual slots, if you're referring to the 55xx, you'd see more people pissed that their dual PC sleeve no longer works; it's probably better for them to forgo redesigning and displacing the sleeves.

Jonathan1
05-18-2003, 12:14 AM
It pays to not jump to the latest and greatest every 3-6 months. While many who have a relatively new PPC are questioning if it’s worth upgrading my situation is relatively easy.
Jornada 568. StrongARM CPU, 64MB of RAM, Pocket PC 2002, reflective display with a minor case of dust.
vs
New X-Scale, 64MB of RAM, Pocket PC 2003, transreflective display, BlueTooth.

Kind of a no brainer. I just wish Dell would get off their butts and release something about the X3. If no info comes out about this model when the 1945 is released *shrugs* Dude I'm getting an HP! :razzing:

captgoodhope
05-18-2003, 12:50 AM
8O Since I almost never use the record button, this would be perfect! Do you have a link?

There's a free one on Scott Seligman's page here:

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html

dcharles18
05-18-2003, 03:40 AM

Here is what I use, Vito Button Mapper Light (http://www.vito-tech.com/files/VitoButtonMapperLight.zip).

It allows you to map two programs or functions to each button. I have my record button set to scroll down when I press it, and to scroll up when I hold it in.

Hope this helps. ;)

Kati Compton
05-18-2003, 03:53 AM
I love my 1910, but I'm probably going to get a new Pocket PC with more capabilities after the new ones come out this summer. The 2200 looks pretty exciting, but I dunno, I might just have to get an Axim.

If you're prepared to wait a little anyway - may as well wait for a new Axim. ;)

T-Will
05-18-2003, 05:03 AM
So do we know anything else about PPC 2003 at this point? From that 5550 pic it looks like the taskbar is skinned and it has help, minimize, and close buttons.

Pony99CA
05-18-2003, 05:51 AM
I admit - I got sucked into this too - but after looking around to find out what has improved on this model... well more memory is great and a faster cpu. I was hoping for this device to be their release into the ppcpe world...
Guess I'll be waiting a little longer... must be gentle to my 3600
HP announced that they cancelled the 5600 series, I thought. This makes me doubt there will be an HP Phone Edition coming any time soon.

Steve

Pony99CA
05-18-2003, 05:52 AM
Thank you! I would like my dual PC Card sleeve and GPS sleeve to work with my next iPAQ, and getting a CF slot at the expense of my sleeves would not be worth it.

Steve

ctmagnus
05-18-2003, 05:55 AM
HP announced that they cancelled the 5600 series, I thought. This makes me doubt there will be an HP Phone Edition coming any time soon.

Steve

Whoa! Deja vu (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=166472#post166472)!

kagayaki1
05-18-2003, 06:18 AM

Ooh ooh ooh!!! Possible 1910 PPC 2003 ROM upgrade? I hope so!!!

Yeah, the thing with the SDIO in the 1910 is a rumor gone bad. I thought the final resolution on that it was technically possible to do via a software patch, but only if the final pin on the SD interface was connected. Some suggested this was not the case, however, I never found out if anyone had the guts to open the thing up...

Major kudos to anyone who had the gumption to mess with their little beauty :werenotworthy:

-Jason

brntcrsp
05-18-2003, 07:05 AM

Steve

Whoa! Deja vu (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=166472#post166472)!

I have a question - did anyone note the Pocket PC OS Version that was displayed in the second shot from ctmagnus' post? It is listed as 4.20.x.

Not to get too many hopes up - but the current OS version in my Jornada is 3.0.x

Anyone willing to conjecture that Pocket PC OS is using Windows CE .Net 4.2? Or am I off my rocker with this assumption? The reason I thought this was that the current OS is based off the WinCE 3.0 kernel.

I know it's unlikely because 4.2 was recently released to manufacturers, but it is an interesting point to imagine.

FredMurphy
05-18-2003, 12:11 PM
I thought that it was fairly certain that Pocket PC 2003 was based on CE.NET 4.2. (As certain as we can be, that is.)

Pony99CA
05-18-2003, 01:38 PM

Steve
Yep, Possman posted pretty much the same thing in both places, so I answered it in both places. :-)

Besides, I wanted to be notified about replies to the Pocket PC Passion thread. I didn't get a 5450 because of its problems, but the 5550 may be a compelling machine.

Steve

mv
05-18-2003, 05:04 PM
SW, did you know that there are utilities out there that will allow your record button to function as a page down button? Comes in handy while reading ebooks.

Just to scroll down, you donīt need any app to do that, just go to "buttons" on the configuration screen and asign the record button to page down. Thatīs it.

brntcrsp
05-19-2003, 12:43 AM
I thought that it was fairly certain that Pocket PC 2003 was based on CE.NET 4.2. (As certain as we can be, that is.)

Well, with the little google-fu I managed, it would appear to be just as you said, Fred. Since no one can say exactly what the new OS is, the rumors point to Pocket PC 2003 using the 4.2 kernel, which I welcome.

disconnected
05-19-2003, 01:20 AM
mv,

Thank you very much. :D

I've been using Pocket PCs for almost three years, and always kind of wished I had a page-down button. I even tried one of the free apps, but it didn't work with Palm reader. I never even noticed the option in the Buttons screen. (And it does work perfecly with Palm reader).

dcharles18
05-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Jason has already confirmed that in this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=112325&highlight=#112325) thread.

I can confirm that Pocket PC 2003 is based on Windows CE .NET 4.2.

As for everything else, well, you're going to have to wait and see.

Jason Dunn
05-19-2003, 03:12 PM
I just wish Dell would get off their butts and release something about the X3.

8O You're talking as if HP has released information - they haven't, this is all leaked. No OEM has released any information about any forthcoming devices yet, nor has Microsoft released anything about Pocket PC 2003. :wink: