View Full Version : First impressions on my new X5 Advanced!

TorchRedStang
05-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Well, I got it! I haven't been able to put it down. At first I was very discouraged with the OS and the ActiveSync software. Once I got over the initial shock of how different the two systems are (used to have a Clie with Palm OS) I started having some fun! I am still trying to figure out how to customize the system for even easier access... The only bad part is that I had a ton of software for my Clie that I can't use anymore on the Axim :(

Does anyone know of places I can get some free software for this badboy? I don't like the trial versions... but if you know of any places to get other useful programs for free please do tell.. I have tried looking at other posts, but a lot of the links are broken or for trials only.

Thanks!

spursdude
05-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Check out Pocket PC Freewares. (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com) It's in French, but it's got a ton of actual freeware (no trial versions). It's updated fairly often, and if you use a web translator, it works well.

pcraigmile
05-16-2003, 04:34 AM
They are starting to develop an English version of PPCFreewares. The URL is
http://ppcf.mklabs.com/index.php?setlang=English.

The reviews are not in English yet though!

spursdude
05-16-2003, 05:45 AM
They are starting to develop an English version of PPCFreewares. The URL is
http://ppcf.mklabs.com/index.php?setlang=English.

The reviews are not in English yet though!
Sweet!! Thanks pcraigmile. And bringing up reviews, that's another great thing about Pocket PC Freewares is that the site reviews practically every piece of software that it posts.

Pony99CA
05-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know of places I can get some free software for this badboy? I don't like the trial versions... but if you know of any places to get other useful programs for free please do tell.. I have tried looking at other posts, but a lot of the links are broken or for trials only.
Besides what others have mentioned, there's also Freeware PPC (http://www.freewareppc.com). I'd also suggest checking :google: for "Pocket PC" freeware; it turns up several good links.

Steve

jpielaet
05-30-2003, 03:13 AM
I've had my Axim (400Mhz model) for about a week now. This is my first PDA of any kind. I've taken to the OS and general operations pretty quickly. I love using the included Outlook 2000 on my PC and syncing and so forth. So far the Axim seems to be a tremendous value. I bought directly from Dell's website during one of their recent promotions. The unit arrived with about a 50% battery charge already, so I got to play with it a bit right away. I had no problems installing ActiveSync software or getting things working in general. The only thing I would change is that the unit is a bit on the large side compared to some other models, but when you consider the price, standard features, and expandability (2 slots), I think this is a great choice. I paid extra to get the warranty extended to two years. By then it'll be so obsolete I'll be dying to replace it anyway! :D

TorchRedStang
05-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Did you have a PDA prior to this? I had a Clie w/ Palm OS... PocketPC took a little getting used to but now I have had it for about 2 and a half weeks and I am loving it! I am just now customizing all of the menus and displays to my liking. I tried Pocket Informant but I am not a big fan of it. I decided to remove it and just use the outlook stuff.. I do have TAgenda though and love that! The games are WAY better than Palm... I have gotten addicted to ZioGolf and Age of Empires.

Did you purchase any accessories for your Axim yet? I bought a rhino skin from Dell.. it's pretty nice but makes the Axim considerably bigger and heavier.. I am going to return that as soon as my cover up comes in.. I also ordered some screen protectors as I noticed some small scratches already on the screen. I did have some problems with the unit locking up.. it was doing it once a day but it seems to do better since Pocket Informant has been removed.

Any applications that you found very useful?

SlimDady
05-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, I got it! I haven't been able to put it down. At first I was very discouraged with the OS and the ActiveSync software. Once I got over the initial shock of how different the two systems are (used to have a Clie with Palm OS) I started having some fun! I am still trying to figure out how to customize the system for even easier access... The only bad part is that I had a ton of software for my Clie that I can't use anymore on the Axim :(

Thanks!

lucky for you there is a palmos emulator for pocket pc.. so if you really wanted you could use tyour old apps.

but whats the point.. u got a better system now.. u will love the stuff you can do on an axim

jpielaet
05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
As far as accesories, I got a car charger and a leather case, both from Dell. I have had no issues with locking up. I did get a popup one time that warned me about being low on memory. I realized that when you close a window, you don't necessarily stop running that program. Use Dell Switcher to make sure you have exited programs you're not using. I downloaded mapopolis and I love it.

M@
05-31-2003, 11:36 PM
As far as accesories, I got a car charger and a leather case, both from Dell. I have had no issues with locking up. I did get a popup one time that warned me about being low on memory. I realized that when you close a window, you don't necessarily stop running that program. Use Dell Switcher to make sure you have exited programs you're not using. I downloaded mapopolis and I love it.
Car Charger?

This is a little deviation from topic, but Car Charger?

I saw no car charger on the dell website? Is it my eye sight rapidly deteriorating or a fictional product?

Car Charger?

Pony99CA
06-01-2003, 06:51 AM
This is a little deviation from topic, but Car Charger?

I saw no car charger on the dell website? Is it my eye sight rapidly deteriorating or a fictional product?

Car Charger?
Could it be the Belkin Car Charger (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0095047)? It's for sale on the Dell US Web site, only four clicks from their home page.

Steve