View Full Version : Is the SD slot on Garmin iQue 3600 SDIO capable

junqing
05-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Any one knows?

Just pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait to have my hands on it. Since it doesn't have integrated BT. I hope I can use a BT SD card for that purpose. :?

Pony99CA
05-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Any one knows?

Just pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait to have my hands on it. Since it doesn't have integrated BT. I hope I can use a BT SD card for that purpose. :?
Are you sure you're on the right Web site? The Garmin iQue (http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/) is a Palm OS device. :razz:

Anyway, given their Web site says "SD expansion slot for flexible memory storage and additional software", I would assume that it's not SDIO (if it were, I think they'd have mentioned that).

Steve

StrikeTen
05-16-2003, 08:03 PM
May i reccommend www.PalmInfoCenter.com for the best palm os news, talks and people around......

:lurking: [/url]

junqing
05-18-2003, 04:03 AM
Thanks, guys.

Actually, I am a frequent viewer of this site. But I hardly have time to post something. I visit PalmInfoCenter often too. I think many people are users of both PPC and Palm. I have a Dell Axim and I am very happy with it (except the flaky D-pad). The Garmin iQue is a very innovative product. I just hope to see the same thing on the PPC platform.

-Gavin

Pony99CA
05-18-2003, 05:25 AM
The Garmin iQue is a very innovative product. I just hope to see the same thing on the PPC platform.
Yeah, the iQue looks cool, but there are plenty of GPS products out for Pocket PCs. Some are based on CF cards, some use serial connections and a "mouse" antenna and some iPAQ ones are expansion sleeves. When you don't need GPS, you can just remove the card, cable or sleeve and your Pocket PC is smaller.

Steve

junqing
05-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Well, I actually have a Holux GM-270 CF GPS card (which uses the SiRF LP II chipset that consumes very little power) and couple that with Mapopolis. I am happy with it. However, the antenna of the GPS card is bulky. I use my PDA for navigation a lot. The patch antenna on the iQue is said to have better reception for signal from the horizon, which is the situation for in-car use, than the spiral antenna used in most CF card GPS. I know you can actually put the extended antenna (the "mouse") outside your car for better reception. But you need to open the window a bit and I hate the wind noise.

On the software side, mapopolis is far from perfect. I've never tried any Garmin GPS product. So I can't tell if theirs are superior. But Mapopolis is just based on the same tech that Mapquest uses. I was on a trip in LA earlier this year. Mapopolis failed to route me back to the airport Hilton I stay. I hope Garmin can do it better. Otherwise, I will simply send it back to Amazon.

Gavin