View Full Version : Will Dell WiFi card work in other PDAs?

stevehiner
05-15-2003, 02:22 AM
I'm about to buy an Axim Advanced and I want a WiFi card. I see that Dell has a CF WiFi card for $70 or so and I was figuring I'd add it on to the order.

My concern is that I will be buying a second PDA in a month or two for my wife. (OK, actually the new one will probably be for me and she'll get my "old" one if there's a better one available then) If I end up buying a non-Axim for the second PDA is there any reason to believe that the Dell WiFi card won't work in it?

Is the Dell card just a repackaged <insert WiFi card maker here> or is it a custom card that might not have drivers to support a <insert non-Axim PDA here>?

If there's doubt then I'll just buy a non-Dell WiFi card. Any recommendations on the brand?

PetiteFlower
05-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Should work in any PPC that has a CF slot

stevehiner
05-15-2003, 05:42 PM
I guess my question is "should it work?" but "will Dell make drivers available for other PDAs?"

I think to be on the safe side I will just buy a third party card. Are any of them better than the others?

PetiteFlower
05-15-2003, 07:07 PM
I don't see why different PDAs would need different drivers though as long as they all are using ARM processors.

Pat Logsdon
05-15-2003, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Dell WiFi card is a rebadged Netgear card, so I doubt that there's anything proprietary about it. Should work fine with anything.