View Full Version : Tosh e740 and GPS add-on

beckp
05-13-2003, 08:39 PM
What's considered the best GPS hardware & software add-on unit for the Tosh e740?

DanMichSr
05-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm very happy with my e740. I purchased the extended batter for around $99 and that works great also. I thought I was having trouble with the batteries so I backed up often. I have no complaint now using either battery. Of course there are minor problem I work around such as battery lock and not having a good connection sometimes. But those troubles are behind me now. I have two cards in mine each with 250MB. I purchased DeLorme Topo and xmap etc and have downloaded all of the State of Maine onto one of the cards and still have tons of space on it. I also purchased the DeLorme EarthMate GPS for 99 and will use that with it. Now here is what I'm not sure of but will check out. Of course the e740 is Bluetooth ready so will the EarthMate be in June/03 What a great GPS system that will make.

walkerz
08-05-2003, 06:06 PM
I also have an e740 and an old earthmate. I was going to buy the cable to hook them together...but was looking for someone who is using the setup to see how its working. That sounds like you!!

What software is on the e740 for mapping? Are you happy with it? Suggestions?

DanMichSr
08-06-2003, 01:30 AM
I use DeLorm Topo 4 on my Toshiba and the graphics are fantastic. I had a Garmin eTrex vista and I sold it for what I'm running now. I'm a backpacker/hiker here in Maine and enjoyed the eTrex very much it was just that the screen was so small. I find the USB Earthmate to be very accurate in both direction/speed and location all the time. I'm still trying to figure out why my screen will lock up and lose the graphics when I go from a zoom 13 down to 14 and I can't get them back unless I do a soft reset. Some time this winter when I'm not using it that much I'll install everything from scratch and see what happens. I have downloaded so many programs and I think I have left alot of pieces of programs around that gobble up some of the ram that I need for graphics. I have adjusted the ram but still have the graphics problems. Adding waypoints is a snap. Overall I think I have a great combination and need to clean up the ram and things will be better. Let me know how you make out. My email is [email protected] if you care to send a note.

walkerz
08-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks Dan. I will post once I get it set up.

Did you find a carrier to hold them both together?

DanMichSr
08-07-2003, 12:12 AM
No carrier. The Earthmate will go on my backpack "Pinned on" and in a zip lock bag. This will be in the very top compartment that is generally used as a day pack. The battery back will be in another compartment as I can't leave it plugged in as it will run the Earthmate even without it hooked up to the Toshiba. The Toshiba is the problem as to where to put that when backpacking. I put that in a zip lock bag also when not in use. I have tried this and can hook it up and rec sat in about 90 seconds and then hold the Toshiba. I'm interested in DeLormes new unit that plus into the Earthmate and will transmit to the Toshiba :lol: no cords. That is out or will be shortly but probably very expensive.

walkerz
08-07-2003, 12:18 AM
I want to design some kind of cool car hookup. I will use it most in the car.

DanMichSr
08-07-2003, 02:06 AM
I use it in mine also and would like to find a bracket for it. If you run into one let me know

mashtim
08-20-2003, 07:39 AM
My GPS rig right now is as follows:

Toshi750 running PPC2K3 with a Socket CF BT card. That is paired to a Socket BT GPS. I tend to either lie it on top of my ashtray cover (where it sits VERY unobtrusively) or toss it into the cupholder after letting it sit in the dash for a while.

Toshi750 is mounted on the gooseneck that I got for free for the TomTom Beta testing. I tend to use Tom Tom's sofware. I still have Mapopolis installed, but rarely use it. I also have an aux input cable installed on my car stereo (which I just installed as few weeks ago). This lets me run the sound from my Toshi through the car's speakers. Another option is the iRock, which can be found at any Radio Shack. Or, you can get a Seidio powered mount, which has a small speaker built-in.

For power, I tend to run the power cable from the Socket BT GPS (it was designed for the iPaq, but fits the Toshis as well) because when the battery on the GPS runs out, all I have to do is pull out the extra cable they provided and plug it into the second slot on the power cable and I 'm up and running wothout even slowing down.

The nice thing about this setup is that, while I personally tend to use it primarily in the car, it is instantly convertible into a truly mobile GPS experience. It also allows you to place your hardware at optimal locations with practically no wires.

walkerz
08-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Wow thats great, and it sounds like what I want to do. Any pictures of the mount you talked about (in use)? Thanks for the great post!

mashtim
08-20-2003, 06:43 PM
No pictures just yet. I'll snap a few when I get home on Friday and have them up by the end of the weekend, ok?

walkerz
08-20-2003, 06:46 PM
cool.