View Full Version : Jornada 568 not syncing...

RedRamage
05-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey folks...

I recently purchased a Jornada 568 over eBay. The unit arrived and appears to be in good working order except for one problem... it doesn't want to sync with my computer.

I currently have a 565 which does sync just fine with my two different computers, so I know that active sync is working and that the cradle does work.

The seller is being very good about it and offering to return my money if I send him back the unit. However, I really like to keep it if I can get it working. Any ideas, short of dismantling the 568, on how to fix this problem?

mac
05-13-2003, 03:57 PM
have you tried syncing to another PC?
how about syncing using a serial cable?

RedRamage
05-13-2003, 04:23 PM
I tried syncing it with two different computer and with two different cradles on each computer. No luck. :( (my 565 worked on both computer and on both cradles.)

I haven't tried a serial cable yet... I'll and to dig around and see if I still have one of those laying around.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Alternatively, do you have a laptop around you can try IR sync with?

--janak

rhmorrison
05-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Does it have a proper machine name entered in the Settings - System - About - Device Name :?:

minidba
05-13-2003, 05:24 PM
I had a similar problem with my 568...

It worked fine for nearly a year, then one day when I got back from a trip and plugged it into a cradle, my computer acted as though it wasn't even connected. I tried a brand new USB sync cable, but no dice. I reinstalled Activesync, tested it with another PDA (it worked with the new one but still not the 568), poked around the computer's USB setup...nada. IR sync, however, works fine, as does syncing over a wireless network. From my research into it, the best I came up with was that a power surge from the outlet at my hotel must have done something to the 568 that disabled the connection. Even if you can't get it working through a wired connection, odds are an IR connection will work, and USB IR adapters aren't too expensive (of course, 80211.b is much, much faster but more expensive if you don't have the setup already)

Paragon
05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
minidba is liklely right. it is pretty rare that the usb connection absolutely fails on a ppc, but it does happen.

you could try doing a backup to a cf card on the 565, then use it to do a restore on the 568. i have backed up from one, and restored to the other before, it does work. you never know it may jar something loose. :wink:

dave

RedRamage
05-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I tried my best, but failed to get the unit to sync. I never tried an IR sync as the one laptop I have has a broken IR port on it. :(

Anyway, I sent the PPC on it's way back to the seller yesterday. He deals in a lot of used/refurbished items so he's gonna send me a replacement unit when he gets that one back.

Certified Optimist
05-27-2003, 07:30 AM
It may be that the SyncDemon is out of black ink... :wink:

Had something similar happening to me the other day with my 568... ActiveStink suddenly decided that my 568 was a "Guest"...

Just deleted the profile and then it worked fine.

Hope you have better luck with your next one! HP568 is a nice machine to have.

RedRamage
05-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Well, the saga continues...

I retruned the non-syncing unit to the seller. He promptly sent out a replacement which I received this morning. Dropped it in the cradle and it started syncing just fine!

However...(you knew that was coming...didn't you?) the directional pad is cracked right in two! Ugh! Not sure if it happened in shipping or what, but I emailed the seller back. We'll see what happens next. :(