View Full Version : Another hard reset

jutae
05-13-2003, 04:43 AM
Ok this makes 6 since January.

spursdude
05-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Since you didn't mention a specific device, I'm gonna chime in even though I have an Audiovox Maestro.

Only one hard reset in over a year. And that hard reset wasn't even necessary. I haven't had any problems, and haven't felt the need or motivation to hard reset. I may in a few weeks when I have time to try to clean things up. But only one in a year.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2003, 04:51 AM
Same as spursdude. The only time I did multiple hard resets is when I was deliberately playing around. Unintentionally, I've only had to hard reset about twice over 3 different Pocket PCs. I am very conservative about the apps I install, though, so YMMV. :)

--janak

JoeMoon
05-13-2003, 05:04 AM
How about once a day! Seems like something is always causing my Dell Axim to lockup...

Joe...

Janak Parekh
05-13-2003, 05:14 AM
How about once a day! Seems like something is always causing my Dell Axim to lockup...
A hard reset? You mean you reinstall everything once a day!?

--janak

Jacob
05-13-2003, 05:53 AM
A hard reset? You mean you reinstall everything once a day!?

--janak

That does seem very odd - I'd return a PPC if I had to hard reset every day.

JoeMoon, I'm sure you meen soft-reset..

Dave Beauvais
05-13-2003, 05:54 AM
There aren't nearly enough options in this poll. :) In the three months or so that I've had my h5455, I haven't had a single hard reset, intentional or otherwise.

--Dave

Chris Spera
05-13-2003, 05:54 AM
iPAQ 5455... spank ME! I hard reset mine 8 times today trying to get past a bug in Nice Start. Got it; but what a pain in the pants!

I am also now having trouble getting at mail via 802.11b. I can surf the net now...even after the proxy server, "but who cares!" (a la Chris Tucker) I need to get my mail and can't no matter what I do. I may take it down one more time tomorrow; but I have to have my laptop rebuilt and that's what I sync to.

Christopher Spera

Pony99CA
05-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Since you didn't mention a specific device, I'm gonna chime in even though I have an Audiovox Maestro.

Well, the poll was posted in the iPAQ forum, but I don't know why.

It also seems silly that there are only two options. I haven't hard reset mine at all in three months. In fact, the only hard reset I ever did was to install the iPAQ 3870 ROM upgrade and EUU2.

Steve

TopDog
05-13-2003, 08:57 AM
I've had my Axim for about 4 month's now, and hard reset once (last week) because of the A03 ROM-upgrade. Didn't have to, but thought I'd "clean up" :-)

On my past PDA's (iPAQ 36/38/39-series, E-200 and for a short while a LOOX 600) I've only done a hard reset when there has been a ROM-upgrade. That would be about once every 3'rd month or something!?

Abba Zabba
05-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Like some have said above this post needs more options for voting.

Anyway. In the last couple of devices I have only had to hard reset 1 time in years 8O . I'm surprised compared to all that have posted that they need to hard reset periodically sometimes. Also I don't know if this counts but in my busy busy schedual last month I forgot my iPaq in my bag for about 1 week :cry: . It hard rest itself like it's suppose to but the bad part is I forgot to doa back-up recently...so obviously I lost alot of valuable information :(

piperpilot
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
I have had two unintentional hard resets and two intentional hard resets since January.

The unintentionals:

1. Had a run in with some static electricity near the clothes dryer

2. Hard reset following the latest ROM update for the iPAQ 5455.

The intentionals (both within the past two weeks!):

1. Screwed up the ROM update by restoring my registry settings using iPAQ backup, so I had to go back and start from scratch.

2. Avant Go caused my WLAN to malfunction and become unusable. Had to call HP tech. assistance. Nothing short of a hard reset could be done to fix the problem. Thank goodness for iPAQ backup, because I have a lot of third party apps on the device!!!!

After all this, however, my 5455 seems to be humming right along.

rhmorrison
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh, I forgot this is an IPAQ forum :lol:

In any case, I've only had my hp Jornada 568 for about 6 months now and have not yet had to hard reset it. I have however on various occasions had to perform a soft reset (aboute once per month).

sjo
05-13-2003, 10:57 PM
Zero times in the past 3 months, once, I think, in the past year.

(iPAQ 3955)

Steven Cedrone
05-13-2003, 11:19 PM
None in the three months. My last (almost a year ago) was the result of "messing about" with databases...

Steve

Pony99CA
05-13-2003, 11:46 PM
2. Avant Go caused my WLAN to malfunction and become unusable.
Is anybody else curious how this is possible? I could understand AvantGo failing to work on a wireless LAN, but how could it cause the LAN to become unusable?

Steve

rooks308
05-14-2003, 05:47 AM
i have had 1 hard reset in the last 3 months due to a program i installed, not due to the handheld, and of course i had the hard reset for the rom update, but i wouldn't count that. I love the pocket backup, makes doing restores a breeze. I often wonder what % of peoples hard resets are due to 3rd party applications and what are due to the actual device.

Andrew
05-14-2003, 10:24 AM
In the past when I had a 3630 and then a 3660 with both of them I had a lockup that forced me to hard reset. Otherwise Ive only hard reset since then because Ive been experimenting and something I did caused the device to lock up (this was with a 3870).
I now have a 5450 and so far *knocks wood* I havent had to hard reset it at all, and have had none of the problems mentioned in the forums, with the exception of the wireless connection switching on and off, which happened once and was solved by a soft reset.
So far Im quite happy :)

piperpilot
05-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Is anybody else curious how this is possible? I could understand AvantGo failing to work on a wireless LAN, but how could it cause the LAN to become unusable?

Here are my observations about how it happened. A couple of weeks ago, I put my iPAQ in its cradle when I arrived at the office. ActiveSync came up and did its thing. When it got to synching AvantGo, got a message through ActiveSync that AvantGo was accessing or doing something to my network profiles. This had never happened before, and Avant Go refused to sync. After tinkering with my ActiveSync settings for Avant Go, it eventually synched normally . . . or so I thought. When I got home that night and tried to use the WLAN to check my e-mail, I noticed that the WLAN was showing a 100% signal, but the green light wasn't on. I soft reset the device. No change. I then removed the battery for a couple of seconds. No change. I then tried to reset the WLAN profile but couldn't do it because it was stuck in the initialization stage and wouldn't complete the initialization. All of the information that you normally can see when setting up a profile (IP Address, etc.) was blank. I then went to my home office and tried shutting off the wireless router and turning it back on, thinking that maybe the problem was the wireless LAN for the computer. No change. I then turned on the computer to see if maybe the cable modem was malfunctioning. No problems there. As a last resort (because I don't want to hear about what a computer idiot I am), I asked my husband, who is a software engineer with a Ph.D. in math and computer science, to take a look at it. He couldn't fix it. The spectre of a hard reset was now weighing heavily on me. I called HP tech support. After advising me to do everything that I had already done to try and fix the problem, the tech support guy called another tech support guy, who said that Avant Go had caused the WLAN program to begin an endless loop that could only be broken by . . . you guessed it, a hard reset. According to the second tech support guy, this was a problem that they had encountered before with Avant Go. I did the hard reset and the WLAN has performed normally ever since. As for what Avant Go did specifically to cause the looping problem, I don't know, but according to HP, Avant Go was the cause of my problem.

Pony99CA
05-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Here are my observations about how it happened. A couple of weeks ago, I put my iPAQ in its cradle when I arrived at the office. ActiveSync came up and did its thing. When it got to synching AvantGo, got a message through ActiveSync that AvantGo was accessing or doing something to my network profiles. This had never happened before, and Avant Go refused to sync. After tinkering with my ActiveSync settings for Avant Go, it eventually synched normally . . . or so I thought. When I got home that night and tried to use the WLAN to check my e-mail, I noticed that the WLAN was showing a 100% signal, but the green light wasn't on. I soft reset the device. No change. I then removed the battery for a couple of seconds. No change. I then tried to reset the WLAN profile but couldn't do it because it was stuck in the initialization stage and wouldn't complete the initialization. All of the information that you normally can see when setting up a profile (IP Address, etc.) was blank. I then went to my home office and tried shutting off the wireless router and turning it back on, thinking that maybe the problem was the wireless LAN for the computer. No change. I then turned on the computer to see if maybe the cable modem was malfunctioning. No problems there. As a last resort (because I don't want to hear about what a computer idiot I am), I asked my husband, who is a software engineer with a Ph.D. in math and computer science, to take a look at it. He couldn't fix it. The spectre of a hard reset was now weighing heavily on me. I called HP tech support. After advising me to do everything that I had already done to try and fix the problem, the tech support guy called another tech support guy, who said that Avant Go had caused the WLAN program to begin an endless loop that could only be broken by . . . you guessed it, a hard reset. According to the second tech support guy, this was a problem that they had encountered before with Avant Go. I did the hard reset and the WLAN has performed normally ever since. As for what Avant Go did specifically to cause the looping problem, I don't know, but according to HP, Avant Go was the cause of my problem.
OK, so AvantGo didn't really screw up your wireless LAN; it screwed up your iPAQ's ability to access that LAN, right? That's what I was assuming you meant, but I wanted to be sure something in AvantGo wasn't jamming your WiFi LAN (like a denial of service).

Did you try unchecking AvantGo in the sync options of ActiveSync on your desktop, doing a soft reset of your iPAQ, then trying to sync? Also, did you try stopping ActiveSync from running on your Pocket PC (using the Memory settings applet)? I know that these suggestions are too late now, but if it ever happens again, maybe they could help. :?

I have no idea how AvantGo itself could screw up your WLAN access. I could understand that settings changes you made to sync AvantGo at work could screw up your access at home, but a soft reset (possibly combined with my suggestions above) really should have allowed you to access your LAN configuration settings.

By the way, I'm guessing you have a 5450, right?

Oh yeah, one more thing. Before doing the hard reset, did you ask about the problem here? :-)

Steve

piperpilot
05-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Did you try unchecking AvantGo in the sync options of ActiveSync on your desktop, doing a soft reset of your iPAQ, then trying to sync?

Yup.

Also, did you try stopping ActiveSync from running on your Pocket PC (using the Memory settings applet)?

Nope, but that's a good suggestion for the next time, if there is one.

By the way, I'm guessing you have a 5450, right?

Yup--actually, a 5455 but it's the same thing, as I'm sure you know.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Before doing the hard reset, did you ask about the problem here?

I would have had to go down to my office in the basement to fire up the computer to do that, but if I had done that, at least I would have been spared the ranting and raving by the man of the house about how my constant tinkering with the iPAQ always screws it up.

Actually, I had to do another hard reset yesterday. I ordered a micro keyboard for answering e-mail on the go and I can't get the thing to work, no matter what I do. After talking to HP tech support twice and getting a replacement keyboard, they had no advice other than to try a hard reset. And the result? It still doesn't work. I'm thinking that there's a hardware problem because I can get it to work intermittently only if I apply force to the righthand back corner of the keyboard, but that renders the keyboard extremely difficult to use. I'm thinking that the pins aren't getting a secure fit with the device. I have the same problem with my Targus Stowaway keyboard, although that doesn't work no matter how much direct pressure I apply to it. It used to work just fine.

kidA
05-15-2003, 06:04 PM
i've only had to do a hard reset unintentionally once. well, i guess it was intentional--i installed some software knowing that it might force a hard reset, and it did. :) so i wasn't really worried or concerned. that's why you backup right? i've only had my current device a few weeks (h1910) and usually i like to, when i get a new device, play around for a few weeks and install all kinds of crap, then decide what i want to do with my device, then to a hard reset to clean it up and reinstall everything (not restore a backup). hard resets are only really bad if they come unexpectedly, which i've never experienced in a couple years of PPC use.

darrylb
05-22-2003, 01:25 PM
The only hard reset I have ever had to do was to upgrade the ROM on my 3970. My 3630 and 3660 never needed one (I dont even recall putting a new ROM on).

I remember my Palm IIIx had a serious problem when I tried to upgrade to PalmOS 3.5 (those where the days :evil:). Completely screwed the device - the screen never worked from that day on. Rips your undies doesn't it :evil: :evil: :twak: Went out and bought a PPC - never looked back :mrgreen:

Evee Ev
05-27-2003, 01:55 PM
i need to do a hard reset on an ipaq 3975. i installed js landscape and it crapped out. the directions are so "involved" to do a hard reset i forget how to do it. thanks.

Pony99CA
05-27-2003, 03:11 PM
i need to do a hard reset on an ipaq 3975. i installed js landscape and it crapped out. the directions are so "involved" to do a hard reset i forget how to do it.
Are you saying that you don't remember how to hard reset your device? Press the Calendar and iTask buttons at the same time and, while holding them down, do a soft reset. Hold that for a few seconds.

Steve

piperpilot
05-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Press the Calendar and iTask buttons at the same time and, while holding them down, do a soft reset. Hold that for a few seconds.

I have found it useful to have someone else push the stylus in while I press the Calendar and iTask buttons, as I have had difficulty in the past doing all three simultaneously. Just a helpful hint. :)

Pony99CA
05-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Press the Calendar and iTask buttons at the same time and, while holding them down, do a soft reset. Hold that for a few seconds.
I have found it useful to have someone else push the stylus in while I press the Calendar and iTask buttons, as I have had difficulty in the past doing all three simultaneously. Just a helpful hint. :)
If you have another person around, that may be OK. But why not just try this:

Sit down.
Put the iPAQ on your right thigh with the soft reset hole facing right.
Push the two buttons with your left index and middle fingers. Use enough pressure to hold the iPAQ securely on your thigh.
Use your right hand to push the stylus into the soft reset hole.

The above assumes being right-handed. Reverse it if you're left-handed.

Steve

Evee Ev
05-29-2003, 04:15 AM
thanks! i finally figured it out. i don't normally have to do a hard reset and b/c the process is a little more involved with the 3900 series i tend to forget. thanks for the help.

nosmohtac
05-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Other than for the ROM upgrade, once, which was intentional just to clean house.

fatbaldingaccountant
09-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I've had my 1940 for more years than I can remember (mind you, I'm getting to that age now where that's not so very long... :( ). In that time, I may have had one or two in the early years.

BoxWave
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Multiple hard resets here :(.

BoxWave
09-29-2006, 11:36 PM

Joe...

You should return it, that must be annoying.