View Full Version : iLoo Was a Hoax - Sort Of

Jason Dunn
05-13-2003, 02:10 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1041_3-1001109.html?type=pt&part=msnbc&tag=alert&form=feed&subj=cnetnews' target='_blank'>http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1041...d&subj=cnetnews</a><br /><br /></div>"Microsoft claims that the iLoo, an outhouse with a built-in terminal for Web browsing, was an April Fools' Day gag--even though it was announced May 2. The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant said on Monday that news that MSN UK was creating the iLoo, a portable lavatory that was supposedly going to be tested at music festivals in Great Britain this summer, was an elaborate ruse. "I can confirm it was an April Fools' joke," said Nouri Bernard Hasan, a Microsoft spokesman in the United States, told CNET News.com on Monday...Hasan said that MSN UK, however, has engaged in pranks before. He noted that the group once announced that it had wired up a park bench for Internet access. He then corrected himself, stating that the bench, in fact, was a real demonstration."<br /><br /> 8O Who the heck does an April Fool's day joke more than a month after the fact? Here's my speculation on what really happened: someone at MSN UK actually <b>did</b> approve this, and it was a real plan, but once the entire world laughed at the concept, they cancelled the project and are now doing PR damage control. At least, that's what Fox Mulder told me. 0X

bdegroodt
05-13-2003, 02:14 AM
I think a quick check of the travel and entertainment expenses of the MSN product team might reveal a recent stop through the ESPN Zone. Anyone that's been to the restroom at an ESPN Zone will surely understand why the team thought it was a great idea. Especially after a few pints. :lol:

Brad Adrian
05-13-2003, 02:20 AM
...but once the entire world laughed at the concept, they cancelled the project and are now doing PR damage control...
LOL! That's exactly what my wife said when I told her this was all a joke! Great [paranoid] minds think alike, I guess.

Reinaldo
05-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Well, we all know Microsoft's sense of humor. :lol:

someone at MSN UK actually did approve this, and it was a real plan, but once the entire world laughed at the concept, they cancelled the project and are now doing PR damage control.

I had a thought. Doesn't Microsoft thrive on controversy? Does the rule "Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all" apply here?

And I had aldready preordered one for my backyard... :lol:

ombu
05-13-2003, 02:38 AM
It was no hoax at all!!! I've been inside surfing the net, I also was able to sync my PXA255---1910. :lol:

T-Will
05-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Ok, that's hilarious! :lol:

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:10 AM
I agree - I think the hoax statement is a hoax.

jlc, just jlc
05-13-2003, 03:15 AM
Of ocurse they posted an April Fools joke on 2 may - when did MS ever hit a relase date on schedule?

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Of ocurse they posted an April Fools joke on 2 may - when did MS ever hit a relase date on schedule?

Good point! Maybe I'll take back my statement. :)

Pony99CA
05-13-2003, 03:26 AM
:rofl: Now that's funny!

Steve

Unreal32
05-13-2003, 03:42 AM
As my sisters used to say:

"April Fool's Day's past... and you're the biggest fool at last."

Janak Parekh
05-13-2003, 04:04 AM
Darn it, if they had actually released this on April 1, I wouldn't have had to work so hard on those April Fool's posts! And I thought Microsoft was here to make our lives easier... :lol:

--janak

Steven Cedrone
05-13-2003, 04:14 AM
See, what you all don't understand is this:

The iLoo joke we are seeing here is the third version of the joke that was released from MS...

The first was released on April first, and no one noticed...

Version two, fared no better...

Number three (technically it's version 3.1), well it made the headlines... :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 04:31 AM
Number three (technically it's version 3.1), well it made the headlines... :wink:

Hahahahahha! And here I thought it was the iLoo NT ('Net Toilet)

WillyG
05-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Nah, the ver 3.1 is more like a service pack, they had to put it out when they heard a crack was observed near to the iLoo. Representatives now claim there is no holes in this product.

jgrnt1
05-13-2003, 01:59 PM
From what I understand, unlike most Microsoft products, this was pretty secure. The seat included a biometric scanner..... :shocked!:

Instead of reading the whorls on a fingertip, it reads dimples and pimples.....

bdegroodt
05-13-2003, 02:03 PM
From what I understand, unlike most Microsoft products, this was pretty secure. The seat included a biometric scanner..... :shocked!:

I nominate this post for the HOFS

Duncan
05-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Well the internet park bench was definitely real as I've seen it...

kevinsb1
05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
It was real, but more of a prototype for the a Summer festival CNN stated.

### From CNN ###
The Associated Press received confirmation of the project from both Microsoft Corp.'s Waggener Edstrom public relations firm and London-based Red Consultancy, which handles such work for the software giant in England.

This is very much a 'toe in the water' experiment to gauge interest so we'll have to see how it goes, although judging from response so far it's really captured people's imagination!"

Malina Bragg, who helps with MSN's account for Waggener Edstrom, also said last week that the project was real.

ghostppc
05-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Here's my speculation on what really happened: someone at MSN UK actually did approve this, and it was a real plan, but once the entire world laughed at the concept, they cancelled the project and are now doing PR damage control. At least, that's what Fox Mulder told me. 0X

Yeah, when they realized that after the first person would go in and use all the shiny features, then no one would want to be the second person to! Literally a million dollar toilet down the toilet! :bangin:

yodacai
05-13-2003, 10:13 PM

:lol:
BWAHAHAHA... this is hilarious! Thanks for making my day!
:mrgreen:

scargill
05-14-2003, 10:59 AM
8O Who the heck does an April Fool's day joke more than a month after the fact? Here's my speculation on what really happened: someone at MSN UK actually did approve this, and it was a real plan, but once the entire world laughed at the concept, they cancelled the project and are now doing PR damage control. At least, that's what Fox Mulder told me. 0X

But on Tuesday Microsoft switched its story and said that the iLoo had been a legitimate project by its British MSN Internet service that was terminated after the initial announcement prompted controversy, ridicule and disgust.

It looks like you might be right! the above is from
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030514/80/dzxys.html

LOL!

Maybe they asked someone who goes to UK festivals too? If anyone here does they they'll know that EVERY year it is FULLY customary to burn the toilets down (they go up very well when filled with so much poo)
And also we're not talking normal in the street portaloo's, you dont WANT to spend time in the portaloo's at a festival because they are THAT messy!
ewwwww
:pukeface: :cry: :puppydogeyes: :pukeface: