View Full Version : Switching from Clie to PPC: which one?

Tungsten
05-12-2003, 06:55 AM
I recently purchased a Sony NX60 (non-camera model) for $299 at CompUSA. A killer deal, no matter what platform you come from. :wink: So, why am I here? As I continue drooling over the form and features this Sony has to offer, I'm also being reminded of the shortcomings the PalmOS platform has for me, as a gamer. Spoiled by a high-end OS5 Clie, the task of choosing a PPC is made more difficult than it has been in the past. But I'll try my best to outline my needs.

Form: It must be sturdy, with buttons suitable for gaming. Durable, but not too hard-clicking like in the Toshiba e330. This detracts from casual gaming.

CPU: PXA255 400MHz, or anything better than the PXA250/200 in my Clie.

Screen: Transflective. Do I need to say more? Well, I wouldn't mind higher resolutions. :)

Memory: 64mb built-in is fine. No NAND-flash tricks, please. Just gimme a full 64mb.

Expansion: Dual slots, CF & SD(I/O)

Wireless: Dual wireless. Okay, I can drop Bluetooth to keep it under $700. But after having gone through so many PDAs, I can't accept anything less than "dual expansion, dual wireless", anyone feel the same?

Self-service: Here's a lesser-explored aspect of the PDA that I look for. It must have a user-replaceable battery, an easy-to-open case bolted with phillips screws (nothing like this (http://tokiolapalm.cool.ne.jp/giken/030429zire/inside.htm)) Because, in my opinion, good build quality/design promotes peace of mind, and perhaps even brand loyalty! It needs to be designed geek-friendly from the ground up. The Zire71 may be cute, but it's a nightmare inside! 0X

Software: PalmOS may still have 10,000 more apps, but I sure don't use more than a handful of third-party apps on my Clie. I don't care too much for apps. I'm data-oriented. I need a file system that handles all the mp3's, ogg's, pdf's, avi's and rom files I toss at it.

Is there anything on the market that fits my needs? Should I wait for the 2200? Should I keep the Clie, and wait even longer? Should I cryogenically freeze myself (with teh Clie) and return 60 years later? Help!

Pony99CA
05-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Expansion: Dual slots, CF & SD(I/O)

Wireless: Dual wireless. Okay, I can drop Bluetooth to keep it under $700. But after having gone through so many PDAs, I can't accept anything less than "dual expansion, dual wireless", anyone feel the same?
As far as I know, the only thing that will come close to meeting this is the Toshiba e750 series (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0993927679.1052724359@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcifkfgkefcgfkceghdgngdglk.0&comm=CS&plin=Toshiba%20Pocket%20PC&pfam=Toshiba%20Pocket%20PC%20e750%20Series&poid=249673&Adoid=380602), and that doesn't have Bluetooth.

The iPAQ 5450 fails the dual slot criterion and the Dell Axim fails the WiFi criterion.

I don't know about the "self service" criterion, but I don't care about that myself.

Steve

Tungsten
05-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I guess I'll keep the Clie and wait for PPC2k3. How far off is it? Is it a major overhaul or a facelift? What new devices besides the 2200 can we expect?

I wish Sony got into making PPCs. How would it hurt them? They've already got guts to design these crazy PDAs. The PPC world has done it right with dual expansion/wireless, but their lack of 'Sony' style really shows. Still, it sucks that I can't use my CF slot without purchasing a $30 utility.

Has anyone tried MorphGear (http://www.morphgear.com/)? Does SNES perform well under 400MHz? Are there any freeware emulators that are still updated? I wouldn't mind abandonware, but I want to know if the PPC emu scene is still alive. :)

spursdude
05-13-2003, 12:37 AM
I really think the e750 would be a great fit for you. It meets everything except for the Bluetooth, and perhaps the self-serviceable.

I guess I'll keep the Clie and wait for PPC2k3. How far off is it? Is it a major overhaul or a facelift? What new devices besides the 2200 can we expect?
Nobody knows when it's coming. The guess is this summer, around June or July. But that's the guess. Most reports say that it's a bug fix, and nothing radically new is in the plans. But those are reports. And we don't really know much about the new devices either. Glad I can be specific with you. :)

Has anyone tried MorphGear? Does SNES perform well under 400MHz? Are there any freeware emulators that are still updated? I wouldn't mind abandonware, but I want to know if the PPC emu scene is still alive.
I haven't tried MorphGear. It sounds kinda cool. I do know that SNES 9x for the Pocket PC and YAME to emulate SNES both have poor SNES performance.

And there are plenty of emulators still updated. There are emulators in the making for GBA, and there are still updates to many others.