View Full Version : Samsung I700 GSM

sobk
05-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Apparantly this is going to be out in Q3 2003 (Jul-Sep?), running Pocket PC 2002.

From what I've read the I700 is much better than the present generation of PPCPE's such as the O2 XDA, but rumours seem to suggest that Pocket PC 2003 might be out in June, I'm assuming that Pocket PC 2003 phone edition won't be available until a while after otherwise Samsung wouldn't be releasing a PPC 2002 device in July? Or do they intend to give an upgrade path to flash PPCPE 2003 onto the I700?

The Microsoft chat on PPCPE 2003 says it will be out this year (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/chats/trans/mobility/mob0128.asp).

I'd love to see the I700 in the UK, but I doubt O2 would carry it as they're got such buy in to the XDA, Orange already have the Smartphone SPV, Vodafone, T-Mobile UK perhaps?

PPCPE 2003 is definately the device for me, I need to be able for the computers at work to send me notifications (SMS to mobile phones - don't have repeating alerts, just beeping once isn't enough to wake me up, SMS to PPCPE does with the right 3rd party software :D ) and then be able to dial in to fix if required, Pocket PC 2003 is too good to think about going for Blackberry (though I did give it a try), and the 2 device route would mean I'd have to carry two devices with me everywhere I went, and every time I got a notification I'd have have to spend time linking them via bluetooh as you couldn't leave bluetooth on as it would run the batteries down too quick! I'd rather keep the time spent on doing work during my personal time to a minimum!

That ipaq 56xx PPCPE running 2003 would have been perfect :| I700 seems the next best thing :)

possmann
05-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Cool device - but I have had bad luck with Samsung product before - don't really "trust" them anymore. I am going to wait for the next HTC - when ever that may be.
I am still not sold on a camera integrated with a ppcpe yet... I'd rather not pay the extra money for it and elect to purchase a SDIO add-on later... it's probably just me though.

Anyone have good experiences with samsung products? phones?

ConceptVBS
05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Cool device - but I have had bad luck with Samsung product before - don't really "trust" them anymore. I am going to wait for the next HTC - when ever that may be.
I am still not sold on a camera integrated with a ppcpe yet... I'd rather not pay the extra money for it and elect to purchase a SDIO add-on later... it's probably just me though.

Anyone have good experiences with samsung products? phones?

My DLP TV, DVD player, mobile phone, microwave and digital camera are all made by Samsung. I love their products. Never had a single problem. My microwave is actually 11 years old and its still going strong.

possmann
05-21-2003, 02:14 PM
I've had just the opposite - specific to their small technology products. I'll keep me eye on this product for mainly one reason - there are no other new pocketpc phone editions out there. I am very disappointed in Fujitsu and Compaq for abandoning their PPCPE devices and to date - the only real player here is HTC - XDA/O2 device. I am hopeful that we'll see that expand - beyond just Samsung and HTC.

sbrown23
05-21-2003, 05:03 PM
How could HP abandon a PPC PE device? Are they stupid? Do they not realize there is a market for a well executed PPCPE product?

I haven't gotten a PPCPE yet because of the major shortcomings of the XDA, etc that are currently on the market. Stupid things like 4k color, only 32MB RAM, full-time speakerphone (Toshiba 2032) unless using ear buds, lack of expansion options, etc, etc. Those are the kind of things that may have killed the market before it even started. HP could have really done one right. Maybe Toshiba will release a nice updated model that will address those failures in the first models. Then THEY'LL get my money instead of HP.

Bring it back from the dead, HP!! (oh yeah, and in 1xCDMA form too)

bjchantry
05-24-2003, 01:23 PM
PPCPE 2003 is definately the device for me, I need to be able for the computers at work to send me notifications (SMS to mobile phones - don't have repeating alerts, just beeping once isn't enough to wake me up, SMS to PPCPE does with the right 3rd party software :D ) and then be able to dial in to fix if required

What third party software do you use for repeating alarms on SMS's, I have been looking for one for a while. Have Pocket Plus with repeating alarms but it doesn't work on SMS's. Thanks.

sobk
05-24-2003, 06:03 PM
I since found out that Pocketplus doesn't do repeating SMS alarms:( I'd sent a query about whether it did this so here's hoping it will be in the next version.

It's probably not included as it's mostly PPCE users who'd use this, and I read something somewhere about PPCE puts a lock on incoming SMS messages and you have to do something to let 3rd party applications read it

I have yet to find any device (not just limited to PPC's) or software that offers repeating alerts for SMS alerts.

When I receive an SMS alert I need to be sure that I know I've received an alert.

I'd rather not have to write my own program to do it :worried: