View Full Version : How to upgrade my status :P

William Yeung
05-11-2003, 05:55 AM
How can I upgrade my status from Pupil to something more advance? (haha sounds like RPG)

Jason Dunn
05-11-2003, 06:09 AM
By posting more and contributing to the community here. There are almost 20 special ranks - so keep posting!

Hyperluminal
05-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Yep. I think it changes to something else at fifty, so you're almost there... :D

Lotto
05-11-2003, 09:16 PM
You mean that whole signing in blood routine was just a hoax!? :?

davidspalding
05-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Of course there should be a special-special rank for those who post > 30 times in an hour or so, to catch those people who post just to post and get a "new rank." >:P

Kati Compton
05-12-2003, 06:35 AM
What's the post count required for the highest rank?

maximus
05-12-2003, 07:10 AM
What is the exact meaning of 'pontificator' anyway ? I am kinda lost :wink:

Merriam-webster :
One entry found for pontificate.

Main Entry: 2pon·tif·i·cate
Pronunciation: pän-'ti-f&-"kAt
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -cat·ed; -cat·ing
Etymology: Medieval Latin pontificatus, past participle of pontificare, from Latin pontific-, pontifex
Date: 1818
1 a : to officiate as a pontiff b : to celebrate pontifical mass
2 : to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way
- pon·tif·i·ca·tion /(")pän-"ti-f&-'kA-sh&n/ noun
- pon·tif·i·ca·tor /-"kA-t&r/ noun

Kati Compton
05-12-2003, 07:14 AM
What is the exact meaning of 'pontificator' anyway ? I am kinda lost :wink:

<snip>

2 : to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way

Well, since I would NEVER be pompous, this is CLEARLY the WRONG definition. YOU must be looking it up incorrectly. I don't kow HOW you would get THAT idea about ME.

;)

maximus
05-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Dont take the above as an offense :oops:

First of all, english is my third language. I am not familiar with the word 'pontificator', hence I put a search on the merriam-webster dictionary http://www.m-w.com ... And that is the cut-n-paste of the translation result from that webpage.

So, it is not what I think about you. I am sure that you are a nice, friendly and helpful person :mrgreen:

andrewlwood
05-12-2003, 02:53 PM
that is the nicest exchange of posts I have seen for years.

you GU-UYS!

(And I just got another post for saying that)

Pat Logsdon
05-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Excellent job of Pontificating, Kati42! As an Intellectual (A person possessing or supposed to possesss superior powers of intellect), I appreciate your demonstration!

Although I think perhaps Sartre would have taken issue with your declaration that the definition given was clearly the wrong one. Who are we to say what is clear and what is not? Are we not all but dust upon the winds of time? Are we not tiny sparks in an infinite void? What, after all, is the point?

Here are some recipes (http://icemcfd.com/wayne/sartre-cookbook.html) that should help explain my position. :mrgreen:

felixdd
05-12-2003, 06:22 PM
I have no idea what I am :|

(NM -- guess I'm not all that "intellectual"!)

trachy
05-12-2003, 06:54 PM
By posting more and contributing to the community here. There are almost 20 special ranks - so keep posting!

Are these posted anywhere? I've often wondered what the hierarchy is, but have never found it.

Kati Compton
05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Dont take the above as an offense :oops:

First of all, english is my third language. I am not familiar with the word 'pontificator', hence I put a search on the merriam-webster dictionary http://www.m-w.com ... And that is the cut-n-paste of the translation result from that webpage.

That's what the smiley at the bottom was for - no offense at all. I was going with the joke. ;)

Crystal Eitle
05-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Are these posted anywhere? I've often wondered what the hierarchy is, but have never found it.

There was a thread about it a month or so ago... does anyone recall where it is?

Personally, I won't be satisfied until I reach the rank of "Pope." 0X

Janak Parekh
05-12-2003, 07:45 PM
You're assuming there's a "highest" rank. There was, but people were reaching it, so we made more. ;)

Maybe "Site Admin"/"Community Moderator" is the highest? :lol: It's not as much fun, though, when your rank stays the same for 1000s of posts...

I don't think so -- I've never seen the thread that spacewaitress alludes to. In fact, Jason keeps it a mini-secret, so that people don't post unnecessarily just to hit a rank. :)

--janak

Jason Dunn
05-12-2003, 09:05 PM

If I told you that, I'd have to kill you. Muwahahahaa... :twisted:

Just kidding of course. :mrgreen:

SofaTater
05-12-2003, 10:48 PM
How big a bribe would it take to be labeled the "Grand Poobah of Pocket PC"???

:jester:

karen
05-12-2003, 11:38 PM
It seems that I read more than I post...

William Yeung
05-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Hey think about it: some RPGs gives ppl choose the 'start of stream' a simple job, and then upgrade from time to time, that would be more fun...
e.g. Pocket PC Magician, then Summoner... then something bigger... that would be amazingly fun :P with some icons and a rank page as well? :P

Jason Dunn
05-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Hey think about it: some RPGs gives ppl choose the 'start of stream' a simple job, and then upgrade from time to time, that would be more fun...
e.g. Pocket PC Magician, then Summoner... then something bigger... that would be amazingly fun :P with some icons and a rank page as well? :P

Well, that's more or less what we're doing - only with the "thought" concept. :D

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:11 AM

Wow. That is uber-geeky.

And as such, the idea intrigues me. :P

maximus
05-13-2003, 03:40 AM
Perhaps we should also have a dungeon-n-dragon magical stuffs here ... someone should be appointed as the seer of wisdom ... the seer of knowledge .. the master of the wand ... the master of sword .. etc.

Jason, perhaps it is time to change your ranking system of pupil/ponderer/intellectual/sage/pope etc. into something more magical and DnD-related. I wouldnt mind to be titled 'The Seer of Axim' :D

Or perhaps 'The Seer of Ipaq 5555 PPCPE Equipped with Magical Wand of Lightning and Integrated CF Slot' ...

Just kidding.

davidspalding
05-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Some of us need to get out in to the sunshine more....

CTSLICK
05-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Some of us need to get out in to the sunshine more.... :rofl:

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Some of us need to get out in to the sunshine more....

I think I would melt if exposed to direct sunlight.

maximus
05-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Ha ha ha. Very funny. Actually, that is what I like from this forum: the people. The helpful, yet funny guys. Keep up the good work.

Well, if you live in singapore, you will have constant sun and humidity. now where is my SPF 20 ? :p

Brad Adrian
05-14-2003, 03:30 AM
Just being able to work with Jason is the highest rank of all. :mrgreen:

Steven Cedrone
05-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Just being able to work with Jason is the highest rank of all. :mrgreen:

P.U.!!! That was rank... :wink:

Steve

maximus
05-14-2003, 07:26 AM
You two should post more. Site admins/community moderators must have at least 3000 posts. :!:

Hei hei hei, I am only kidding. Dont click that "delete user ID" button :wink:

delfuhd
05-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I figure if I add something it will give me another post, somehow giving me a feeling that I have progressed. But it's only one post, which doesn't seem like much, but all these add up, and make the basis for a great poster. woo!

Oh.. yeah and it doesn't really give you that feeling :cry:

CTSLICK
05-14-2003, 02:31 PM
What stuns me is that this thread has stayed active as long as it has. But then again...here I am contributing to that trend :roll: Such a simple question has lead to some funny banter though.

Hey look...another post. :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
05-14-2003, 04:13 PM
You two should post more. Site admins/community moderators must have at least 3000 posts. :!:

No! Then Brad will overtake me! I'm only 100 posts ahead of him... Must maintain my lead.... I don't want to drop down to #7. It's bad enough that Steve pushed me out of #5! ;)

Janak Parekh
05-14-2003, 04:19 PM
I figure if I add something it will give me another post, somehow giving me a feeling that I have progressed. But it's only one post, which doesn't seem like much, but all these add up, and make the basis for a great poster. woo!
Every post counts. Believe me, we all started at 1. Some of us are more obsessed with this than others, though. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
05-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Every post counts. Believe me, we all started at 1. Some of us are more obsessed with this than others, though. ;)

I can't figure out if you're talking about me, or if you're talking about you. ;)

Jhokur2k
05-14-2003, 04:24 PM
*sees geeks fighting over +20 expanded storage CF cards and a +5 protection from damage screen* :roll: :lol:

Kati Compton
05-14-2003, 04:27 PM
*sees geeks fighting over +20 CF cards and a +5 protection screen* :roll: :lol:

Is that +20 to hit, or +20 in damage? With the +5 protection, is that across the board, or is it just +5 protection against puncturing attacks?

Jhokur2k
05-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Sorry, went back and edited for clarity - if you wouldn't post so fast... :p

Steven Cedrone
05-14-2003, 04:45 PM

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns out twice as fast... :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
05-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Sorry, went back and edited for clarity - if you wouldn't post so fast... :p

Now if you could get me a CF Card Of Holding, then I'd really be interested...

Steven Cedrone
05-14-2003, 04:47 PM
It's bad enough that Steve pushed me out of #5! ;)

From now on, if it looks as if you are going to overtake me, I'm just going to make your account "inactive"... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
05-14-2003, 04:48 PM
It looks as if this has become the "post about anything to increase your post count" thread... :wink:

Steve

Jason Dunn
05-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Now if you could get me a CF Card Of Holding, then I'd really be interested...

Already got one. My real pride and Joy is my Vorpal Axim +5 with a Holy Aura against anything with a Palm logo...you should see what happens when I walk into the PDA aisle at Staples!

Oh my God. We're SUCH RPG dorks. :lol:

Kati Compton
05-14-2003, 04:50 PM
It looks as if this has become the "post about anything to increase your post count" thread... :wink:

Nah - actually I stopped even following my post count when I was doing that job interviewing thing. Now I'm just having fun with the conversation. I'm more interested in dissertation page count than PPCT post count. Though I bet you can guess which one I'm having better luck with..... :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
05-14-2003, 04:51 PM

Steve

What makes you say that?

(and JR gets another...) :mrgreen:

Steven Cedrone
05-14-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm more interested in dissertation page count than PPCT post count. Though I bet you can guess which one I'm having better luck with..... :lol:

Discipline, discipline...

Get back to work!!! :wink:

Steve

PetiteFlower
05-14-2003, 08:29 PM
*drools over CF card of holding*

I'm so inferior, my Axim only has a +3 holy aura against Ipaqs...

Abba Zabba
05-15-2003, 05:56 AM

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns out twice as fast... :wink:

Steve

Steve you're becoming a fortune cookie as well.. :D

Pony99CA
05-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Personally, I won't be satisfied until I reach the rank of "Pope." 0X
There are two problems with this. First, as you're now an official PPCT staffer, you don't get to participate in the rankings. At best, you'll have the "in Training" removed. I suppose you could resign your commission, though. :lol:

Second, there haven't been two Popes in centuries, and I'm not about to let that tradition change. :razzing:

EDIT: What the #$@*!? I just noticed I'm no longer a Pope. Have I been excommunicated? That's just papal bull.

Steve

Pat Logsdon
05-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Have I been excommunicated? That's just papal bull.

AARGH! <groan>, etc. :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
05-16-2003, 04:02 PM
EDIT: What the #$@*!? I just noticed I'm no longer a Pope. Have I been excommunicated? That's just papal bull.

I'm sorry - we didn't like you ruling over us, so all of us PPCT readers banded together and voted you out.