View Full Version : How to stream to PPC

simzz1
05-09-2003, 05:57 PM
FYI

For anyone who wants to know how to stream music to your Pocket PC, here is a good overview I found:

http://ldspocketpc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4&mode=&order=0&thold=0

2002F1Fan
05-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah pretty cool. I've known about this for awhile, and you can also stream video too... 8)

NeoLogic
05-10-2003, 09:05 PM
There is a faster and easier way of streaming. Map a network drive to your MP3s. Use PMVP to play from that location. Pretty simple.

Sven Johannsen
05-10-2003, 09:14 PM
There is a faster and easier way of streaming. Map a network drive to your MP3s. Use PMVP to play from that location. Pretty simple.

I don't believe that is technically 'streaming', a process in which a media server delivers a media stream at variable rates based on instantaneous throughput, to a streaming receiver that buffers the incoming bits and presents them at a proper rate.

When mapping a drive you are simply opening the media file as if it were on your local machine. If the capability of the channel is such that it can open the file fast enough to play it real time, such as in a home LAN, things work. If there is something that reduces the throughput significantly, it can be less than acceptable to just open the remote file with a media player.

NeoLogic
05-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Oh... you have a point. I guess Im spoiled by my 11mbps wireless network. :?: :!: :?:

How elts would one connect their pda to the network? Streaming is so yesterday.

Buddha
05-10-2003, 10:14 PM
With the right setup, even over bluetooth it is possible to stream video or music, don't expect the 'top of the mountain' in image quality, but it works!

just another WBIC thing :twisted: