View Full Version : Galp Energia and TMN launch mobile services on Portugal’s first Windows® Powered Smartphone

Jason Dunn
05-09-2003, 06:00 PM
"Galp Energia, Portugal’s leading oil and gas company and TMN, Portugal’s largest mobile operator, today announced plans to launch a series of innovative mobile services for their customers based on the Microsoft’s Windows® Powered Smartphone platform. Through this partnership, Galp Energia and TMN customers will be able to access a set of related services - such as information about their Galp Energia loyalty account and also location based telematic services - such as roadmaps, route directions, information about places of interest and live traffic updates – all on their mobile phone."<br /><br />This is a great example of how the Microsoft Smartphone is going to gain traction in ways that will surprise people: any company with a brand can, in a few short months, go from zero to having a phone shipping with their logo on it. This is the single biggest advantage the Microsoft Smartphone has in its battle with industry giants like Nokia. The press release continues:<!><br /><br />"This project demonstrates Galp Energia’s commitment to innovation, one of the main pillars of the company. Besides innovation, Galp Energia see this project delivering a new and efficient way of accessing mobile services currently available through fastaccess.pt portal as well as a way of providing exclusive advantages to their customers. Above all, this project is an opportunity to create value through the increase in customer loyalty, new income sources and cost reduction of the loyalty program. It will also add value to the fastaccess.pt portal owned in equal parts by GALP Energia and Brisa.<br /><br />These new mobile services will be offered to Galp customers on an AEG branded Windows Powered Smartphone with TMN. AEG is working with Dangaard Telecom to bring the Smartphone to market.<br /><br />In addition to the services outlined above, the Smartphone brings together a host of other powerful, exciting services and applications such as photo messaging, rich web access, mobile e-mail, instant and text messaging. <br /><br />Smartphone users will also have access to a range of familiar Microsoft® software including Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media® Player and Pocket Outlook® for email calendar and contacts.<br /><br />“This new venture demonstrates Galp Energia’s commitment to partner with market leaders to create leading products and services for our customers” said António Mexia, Chief Executive Officer Galp Energia. “Microsoft’s Windows Powered Smartphone on the TMN network provides the most comprehensive and leading edge technology for us to launch these new mobile services on and we are confident that these will be very popular with our customers.”<br /><br /><b><span>Partnerships Driving Mobile Services</span></b><br />This partnership is a breakthrough in the way in which mobile services and applications are brought to market quickly and efficiently. This is a unique example of a partnership developing innovative solutions for their customers and bringing together the best of breed partners to deliver these solutions. <br /><br />Juha Christensen, vice president of the Mobile Devices Marketing Group for Microsoft, said: “Partnerships will become increasingly important in the mobile industry and this is a great example of how together partners can reap the business benefits of mobile data communications and at the same time provide innovative services for their customers.”<br /><br />Iriarte Esteves, Chief Executive Officer TMN, said: “The solution we are announcing today is a good example of our commitment to offering our clients the largest possible set of mobile services which will enable them to organise their everyday life in a functional, practical, efficient and joyful way.”

brntcrsp
05-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Okay, riddle me this. How is it that carriers the world over are adopting the MS Smartphone platform, and yet the home of the smartphone resides less than 200 miles from my front door, and not a single US carrier has even hinted at actually releasing one of these devices? Oh, sure we've been hearing that such and such is testing the product, or so and so is planning on releasing a branded one "soon", but this is all marketing smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Not to cut my nose off to spite my face, but I'm seriously to the point that if American carriers don't get on the ball, i'm going to give up and buy that P800, at least we have confirmed release dates from T-Mobile as to these phones.

Jason Dunn
05-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Okay, riddle me this. How is it that carriers the world over are adopting the MS Smartphone platform, and yet the home of the smartphone resides less than 200 miles from my front door, and not a single US carrier has even hinted at actually releasing one of these devices?

All good things come to those who wait.

(is that cryptic enough for you? :lol: )

dh
05-09-2003, 06:31 PM
I've been thinking of investing in a SmartPhone type product for some time and I'm also getting frustrated with the lack of available offerings.

Right now an unlocked Orange SmartPhone and unlocked P800 seem to sell for about the same amount on E-Bay, both more than I really want to pay. Although the Symbian OS is obviously a liability, the P800 looks to be the better value of the two.

I guess I can wait for a while longer to see what T-Mobile are coming out with.

brntcrsp
05-09-2003, 07:53 PM

grrr... I demand instant gratification! and the moon while I'm at it. :)

Robert Levy
05-09-2003, 09:31 PM
[Copying from my post in the Smartphone newsgroup on this subject]

This is really big news for two reasons:

1) We're finally seeing the kind of location-based applications that we've all been dreaming about (though it would be great if the rest of us could see the docs for that API...)

2) This is being done by somebody other than a carrier. A huge problem with the mobile phone ecosystem is that carriers think that they get to make the rules and all the other players will just go along with it. Up until now, they've been right. I see this deal in Portugal as a warning to carriers everywhere: If they want to continue playing a role beyond "basic service provider", they need to step up and start making decisions that help other players in the industry succeed.

ShivShanks
05-10-2003, 01:23 AM
Okay, riddle me this. How is it that carriers the world over are adopting the MS Smartphone platform, and yet the home of the smartphone resides less than 200 miles from my front door, and not a single US carrier has even hinted at actually releasing one of these devices?

Well I don't understand what the heck is the need for all this infernal secrecy about the SmartPhone launch in the US?! I mean everyone knows that it is eventually going to be launched in the US. Microsoft even announced that it would be AT&T and perhaps Verizon. So whats the need for all this hush hush other than the fact that these carriers are so inept that they themselves don't know when they'll be able to do it. A lot of folks have become furstrated waiting for it. At least if they honestly tell us when it will be launched no matter if its a bit late then people will at least know realistically and not think of jumping to the Palm or Symbian camp. Every single day that there is uncertainty about the SmartPhone means that more and more people are giving other alternatives a try. I think we should be told just what the heck is the reason its taking so long when other parts of the world already have it. After all its phone for heaven's sake as far as the carriers are concerned. Unless of course they are trying to add all kinds of silly paid content for the phones that most people don't care about too much.

Robert Levy
05-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Well I don't understand what the heck is the need for all this infernal secrecy about the SmartPhone launch in the US?! Every single day that there is uncertainty about the SmartPhone means that more and more people are giving other alternatives a try.After all its phone for heaven's sake as far as the carriers are concerned. Unless of course they are trying to add all kinds of silly paid content for the phones that most people don't care about too much.

To the carriers, it *is* just a phone. If they announce a date, people are more likely to wait until that date before getting a new phone. Carriers want to make money and the sooner people sign up for service, the more money they (theoretically) make. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense for the carriers to announce when in the future another "just a phone" will be released.