View Full Version : Internal Ram Upgrade (O2 XDA UK)

AdrianP
05-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I have a 32Mb XDA (curse of the early adopters... :( ). Does anyone know a UK company which does the internal upgrade to 64Mb (and/or 128Mb)? Has anyone done it - did it go OK? Do O2 themselves do the upgrade - I can't find any sign on the website that they do?

nihilism
05-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Yo dude,

www.expansys.com

They do the upgrade from 32mb xda to 64mb at the moment and they are starting to do the 128 upgrade soon!

Hope it helps.

AdrianP
05-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Have you done it through Expansys...? I ordered a keyboard from them and it took over a month to come (promised within a week), so I'm not too keen on them getting their mits on my XDA...

cyclist
05-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Have you done it through Expansys...? I ordered a keyboard from them and it took over a month to come (promised within a week), so I'm not too keen on them getting their mits on my XDA...
And they quote 7-21 days to do the upgrade, which is a looooong time to be without my XDA. At £94.93 the price seems reasonable. Wish they did a while you wait service, as I live nearby.

LWesson
05-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Yo dude,

www.expansys.com

They do the upgrade from 32mb xda to 64mb at the moment and they are starting to do the 128 upgrade soon!

Hope it helps.

Actually the 128 is available now too. The units are actually done by us here at PocketPCTechs.com. The XDA is a difficult system to upgrade.

We have units going back and forth twice a week.

smittyofdhs
05-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Yo dude,

www.expansys.com

Hope it helps.

Actually the 128 is available now too. The units are actually done by us here at PocketPCTechs.com. The XDA is a difficult system to upgrade.

We have units going back and forth twice a week.when you say the XDA is hard to upgrade, do you mean just the XDA model or all HTC PPCPE devices?

LWesson
05-14-2003, 07:24 PM
when you say the XDA is hard to upgrade, do you mean just the XDA model or all HTC PPCPE devices?

I mean all of them. Due to the design of the board and shielding, it is a difficult system to upgrade. Since it's a phone also, every section of the board has shielding that is soldered to the ground plane. The shielding over the RAM has to be removed in order to gain access to the RAM.

Then due to the design of the board traces, the pads are extremely fragile and if removed, the board has to be replaced since the majority of the traces to the memory are run underneath the ground plane.