View Full Version : HP 5450 Sim Card Slot

cmarnewick
05-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Hi,

Is the sim slot just for the show or can I insert my GSM sim card in it and use my iPaq as a cellphone device?

If yes, do I need additional software or is there a built in monitor.

Thanks

WyattEarp
05-09-2003, 10:54 AM
It's currently unuseable. There were suppose to be two models which used the SIM slot but they have not been made yet :( .

FredMurphy
05-09-2003, 11:25 AM
... and it sounds like they will never be made.

I know you can't use the 5450 as a phone, but can you do anything with the SIM slot? Can you read the phone numbers on the SIM?

bdegroodt
05-09-2003, 12:42 PM
... and it sounds like they will never be made.

I know you can't use the 5450 as a phone, but can you do anything with the SIM slot? Can you read the phone numbers on the SIM?

I've seen a couple of posts in some of the MSFT news groups from people saying they can read their contacts on their SIM. However, I've seen far more that say they can't do anything with it (And that's the side I tend to believe. Although, I can't say definitively one way or the other as I have yet to get my hands on one to play with outside of a store.). One way for you to find out...Slide it in and see what you can do. Let us know.

FredMurphy
05-09-2003, 01:04 PM
One way for you to find out...Slide it in and see what you can do. Let us know.
Tried this. Nothing obvious happens (i.e. it doesn't appear in explorer like an expansion card). This doesn't mean it's not accessible with a bit of effort though.

bdegroodt
05-09-2003, 01:09 PM
One way for you to find out...Slide it in and see what you can do. Let us know.
Tried this. Nothing obvious happens (i.e. it doesn't appear in explorer like an expansion card). This doesn't mean it's not accessible with a bit of effort though.

Check this post out (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=5450+sim+slot+read&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OzI5EwPzCHA.1712%40TK2MSFTNGP10&rnum=2). Fact or Fiction?

FredMurphy
05-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Tried it - seems to be fiction. Maybe if you had Pocket PC Phone Edition installed it would see them, but a standard 5450 doesn't.

WyattEarp
05-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I really don't believe the 5450 can read the SIM card. But whoever owns one can just open the back exposing the SIM slot. If you see any contact points for the card (just like on cell phones) it may be possible. If not then it's absolutely impossible and these people are really trying to pull everyone's leg.

Johan
05-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I just tested to see if ientrys from the sim would show up in contacts and I'm sorry to say, the do not. :cry:

andrewlwood
05-11-2003, 03:53 PM
me too - nothing. There are the contacts to the card terminals - but I don't know where they go to, and I'm not about to try to find out :crazyeyes:

Shame. I'm still looking to see the best way to get my pda to talk to my phone through bluetooth for good sms and contact management, now that I've got the bluetooth dialup sorted on my 8910.

sbarlas
05-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Has anyone just simply called / emailed HP to ask them?

I've posted a message on their site - lets see what they come back with..
I orginally bought my Ipaq from Comet and they gave me an old version with a place to put your SIM card but no terminals to acces the SIM and it had a "Void WARRANTY if removed" sticker over it. Needless to say I had a problem with Pixel defects on the screen and so gave it back. When I ordered my new one from the Carphone warehouse, I was well pleased that it had a SIM access point. I've tried to access the contacts , but it doesnt seem to work . I have a feeling that at the most you will be able to read text messages and contacts off the SIM... Maybe they'll release a SD GSM Card....

sbarlas
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
This is what I got from Compaq :
Dear Customer

The h5000 series was developed with expanded functionality in mind,
potentially using it for a WWAN device at some future date. Therefore some
models may have a SIM slot located under the removable battery so that this
platform may potentially be leveraged for integration of future
technologies. The SIM slot is not functional in the h5400 series, and
cannot be use for phone capabilities.

As part of HP's continuous efforts to improve Customer Service and Customer
Satisfaction, please be aware that you now have the option to locate a