View Full Version : Consistent lockup issue

Islanti
05-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Let me start by saying I haven't seen my PPC issue mentioned anywhere, and my searches didn't show any identical experiences. I'm posting this in the hopes it can help someone else and so maybe I can figure out the cause of my problem. This is going to be a long post, so get some popcorn and settle in....

I recently bought 2 Dell Axim Basic (300 MHz) units refurbished from CompGeeks.com. After I had my units for about 3 weeks, CompGeeks had the 400MHz model. I upgraded and sold my Basic version.

When I did that, I went ahead and restored a backup of my Basic to my Advaned Axim. I'd just installed a couple dozen apps and games on two different PDAs, so doing that a 3rd time wasn't appealing. Everything seemed to work fine, so I kept using my Basic-now-Advanced Axim.

After about a week, the Axim suddenly started locking up after being powered on. Specifically, everything was fine after a soft reset for as long as I used the Axim. The PDA eventually powered down automatically or I pressed the power button. After I powered it back on, the Axim would be locked up or lock up after no more than 15 seconds.

The lockup behavior was a little strange. Sometimes I'd hear button press or screen tap sounds while other times I wouldn't. Sometimes I'd get the start or new menu to acknowledge a button press (audio and some video change), but the system would then lock up. I waited long periods of time to see if something would happen without results. I'm used to waiting as my 256MB SD card really slows down the system at times.

At this point I tried removing a few apps, but nothing seemed to change the behavior. I hard reset my Axim, re-formatted my storage card, and nuked my built-in storage. I re-installed all my apps from scratch and figured "problem solved".

Unfortunately, the problem started happening again last night. I spend several hours removing apps, today plug-ins, and registry tweaks without any change in behavior.

I used Pocket Hack Master's process list to verify only system programs were running. The Axim still locked up.

At this point I restored a backup I had from 2 days prior. The problem disappeared.

"A-ha!" It seemed that something I installed must have caused the problem. Except that I've now re-installed the apps and app updates, but the problem hasn't re-occurred.

I'm not overclocking my Axim (Pocket Hack Master is strictly switching between 100,200,300 and 400 MHZ). I supposed it's possible that my RAM became corrupted somehow, but my apps are all stored in Built-in Memory and large data files and games are on my SD card. It doesn't seem like they'd be affected by a RAM issue.

There are a couple of tweaks I know I made to the system which I haven't tried yet, but none of them seem like they'd be the issue. I'm going to test them out, but I thought I'd post this to see if anyone has any ideas for me.

hgwte
05-08-2003, 09:40 PM
I have one question why are you running Pocket Hack Master on you PPC. Dell automatically can run application in different speeds. I ran into several problems when I had apps on my today screen. Some apps seem to make to the device not sync everytime correctly. I use to use ADB Weather, t-Agenda (free app) and somehow my device will even slow down. I took those device off and every time I sync it works fine. I been very carefull lately about install apps on my ppc. Be careful when install apps ... 8O

Islanti
05-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally I bought PHM to overclock my Basic @ 300 to 400MHz. My wife's Axim and my old one both work great at 400, and it gives video playback a much needed framerate boost.

I'm not currently overclocking my 400MHz in part because of the issue I described above. I want to be sure overclocking isn't the issue. Once the PXA 255 in my Axim is better supported by PHM (and performance is better known) I'll overclock it to 500 or maybe even 600 MHz.

All that said, the Axim runs either 200 MHz or 400 MHz out of the box. That's based on some algorithm Intel came up with which is hidden away from us.

Pocket Hack Master, on the other hand, provides 4 customizable levels of CPU performance and precise control over when to switch between those speeds.