View Full Version : Proporta ProBackup

Jason Dunn
05-08-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.proporta.com/detail.asp?id=451' target='_blank'>http://www.proporta.com/detail.asp?id=451</a><br /><br /></div>"Whether you've run out of power, corrupted your data or even lost your handheld, your data is just a click away. You don't even need access to a PC - ProBackup is so simple, your mum could use it. ProBackup is available for any Pocket PC with a MMC card slot. ProBackup allows you to keep your handheld data safe at all times, wherever you are. Simply insert the card into your handheld's memory card slot and hit BACKUP or RESTORE - you don't even need a PC. System crash, run out of power or even lost your handheld? You can restore the entire system to exactly the state it was in, just by inserting the backup card into the handheld."<br /><br />Pretty cool concept - bundling a memory card and backup software in one easy to use package. Not a power-user solution, but straight-forward and simple for beginners.

Billsgirl
05-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi,
I am a newbie my first PDA /Pocket PC is a hp h1910. Would this work for me? Being new I'm not sure if I can use a mmc card in my SD slot. :oops:

I'm considering pocket backup by spriteware, but also like the fact that this doesn't take up room on my ipaq or my sd card!! Has anyone tried this new proporta card? Will this work on my 1910?

Thanks in advance!

thomas1973
05-08-2003, 11:31 PM
SD card slots are compatible with the MMC standard, so yes, you should be able to use it in your Ipaq's SD card slot.

I think the whole idea of Proporta's ProBackup is that this MMC card is used only for your backup files, and the rest of the time keep it in a safe place. So you shouldn't really look at this as a memorycard, just a backup card.

You'll need another SD card for all your software :D .

Thomas.

Billsgirl
05-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks Thomas,
I understand the card is just for backup. I have a 256mg. card for my ipaq and thought it would be nice not to have to install a backup program on it and just have a special card just for backup! :D

Tom W.M.
05-09-2003, 01:40 AM
To restore your Palm OS handheld from a previous backup:
<blockquote>♦ Insert the card into your Pocket PC’s card slot and ProBackup will start automatically.
♦ Press the “Restore” button.
♦ When the on-screen progress bar is complete your handheld will be fully restored to its previous state</blockquote>
Excuse me? :confused totally:

Simon Miller
05-09-2003, 11:20 AM
[quote]To restore your Palm OS handheld from a previous backup:

Ahem, whoops, we do this product for both PalmOS and PocketPC and it looks as though we didn't get the text changed properly, I've fixed this now, thanks for pointing it out. I'd like to say it wont happen again, but it probably will, if you spot anything else let me know and i'll fix that too :)

Just to confirm, we do intend this card to only be used for backup and not for general MMC card use, and whether a power user or newbie its still a very handy and convenient way to backup your PPC (I keep a copy of ProBackup in my bag all the time just in case).

ProBackup PPC also works fine on a 1910.

Hope this has been of help.

Simon Miller
Proporta Ltd.