View Full Version : WiFi Connection Drops?

Fzara
05-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Well, i'm back for some more help on the wireless forums, after buying the Linskys WRT54G Wireless 802.11g router, Linksys notebook G adapter, and the Linksys WCF12, CF 802.11b adapter.

Setting up completely today, I've noticed that my network disconnects my laptop every 5-10 minutes, randomly. I can be playing a game, or doing anything, literally, and I'll suddenly get disconnected.

I have WEP Encryption set-up, along with a DMZ Port fixed in, and my SSDIC broadcast is enabled. I know its not my signal, because my signal comes up as "excellent" (the router is in the next room) What gives!?

As that is not enough, when I have my laptop connected, my PDA loses signal, and loses "communication with the device", after about 3-4 minutes of a power-on, or a soft-reset. In fact, when I disconnect the laptop with the wireless network, the PDA's wireless connection to the router remains "on".

The CF-Card's last IP digits are .101, while the laptop is .100.

I was hoping one of you networking gurus could help a fellow member out.
Thanks.

dhettel
05-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Are you running WinXP on the laptop?

David

Fzara
05-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Heh. I guess I forgot to mention that.

Dell Inspiron 8200, running WinXP with 512mb Ram.

dhettel
05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Deep in the wireless properties you might want to check and see that you don't have Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication turn on. I seem to recall if this is enable you will have these problems.

David

Fzara
05-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Deep in the wireless properties you might want to check and see that you don't have Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication turn on. I seem to recall if this is enable you will have these problems.

David

I checked my settings. It seems like I dont have this option turned on.

I'm thinking its something with the router, since my Pocket PC gets disconnected as well. I'll try a firmware upgrade tomorrow after my Math final, since I dont understand what the heck is up with the network.

Maybe Amazon sent me a refurbished!? :oops:

JoeMoon
05-09-2003, 02:00 PM
It is intresting that you mention this issue. I have noticed the same thing with a notebook and new wireless Linksys router. What makes it even stranger is that I have a desktop that is still CAT5 connected. Only, I have to pull the CAT5 cable from the back of the machine and reconnect it to get the machine connected to the network. Even after a reboot. It never did that with the last router. I also run into the same kinda problem when these machines go into sleep mode, or coming back from a screen saver. It seems like the card/connection does not wake back up for some reason. I would like to prevent the card/connection from going to sleep in the first place.

Joe...

PetiteFlower
05-09-2003, 02:17 PM
I was having a problem like Joe's, but a firmware upgrade to my D-Link router solved it.

Now I'm having a strange problem where every time I reboot my computer, I have to re-enter the encryption code, and I have to re-check "Use windows to configure my wireless settings" in the wireless properties, to get it to connect. It's kinda annoying. I don't understand why that stuff doesn't get saved when I reboot....it worked for a while and then suddenly one day just stopped. The other 2 computers on the network don't have any problems(1 is wireless and 1 is wired).

JoeMoon
05-09-2003, 02:30 PM
I was having a problem like Joe's, but a firmware upgrade to my D-Link router solved it.

Now I'm having a strange problem where every time I reboot my computer, I have to re-enter the encryption code, and I have to re-check "Use windows to configure my wireless settings" in the wireless properties, to get it to connect. It's kinda annoying. I don't understand why that stuff doesn't get saved when I reboot....it worked for a while and then suddenly one day just stopped. The other 2 computers on the network don't have any problems(1 is wireless and 1 is wired).

I went to Linksys and the site showed the same firmware number and date as the one that it already installed on the router.

Joe...

Fzara
05-13-2003, 06:13 AM
The wireless disconnects seem to have stopped with the laptop.

However, the Axim 400mhz wont stop disconnecting every other minute. The first couple minutes, its connected, then its not, then it is. I soft-reset it, and then I get the message, unknown device in CF Card, name it "Unkiwn Device in Socket 1".

Then I soft-reset and power-off, and I finally get a blue wireless connection. And then it repeats itself sometimes after 5 minutes.
Power Save is turned off, and the Encryption is tunred on.

JoeMoon
05-13-2003, 02:01 PM
I am convinced that these new technologies are advancing faster than the R&D... Things just DO NOT work as advertised. And the so called easy installation is a joke! I seem to have a bit more knowledge about technology than the average "Joe User", but when it comes to some of these issues... I have no idea how the average joe manages.

I am also beginning to believe that if a device is on an "outrageous" sale price it is because the manufacturuer does not want to do a recall. They would rather clear the shelves of the local distrbution channels and deal with user downloads of patches, drivers and updates from a web site.

I have spent probably 6 hours looking over LinkSys's web site to find answers and I can't seem to find any... I am so sick of this crap!

Here is a list of problems with the Linksys and card...

1. A desktop needs to have the CAT5 cable pulled out and plugged back in to establish a connection. Although the router shows a connect light.

2. The wireless is SLOW... I mean we are talk unbrearably slow...

3. The wireless has difficulty connecting to the internet, not the network... Just the internet.

4. You can not shut off SSID broadcast. If you do, the devices can not find the router and will not connect. Pretty stupid!

Joe...

Fzara
05-14-2003, 11:45 PM
I agree fully with your rant. Sometimes communication between the public and the programmers just doesnt work.

Back to my problem: Does anyone know how to fix the connection drops with the CF Card?

dwildone
05-15-2003, 08:13 PM
I am convinced that these new technologies are advancing faster than the R&D... Things just DO NOT work as advertised. And the so called easy installation is a joke! I seem to have a bit more knowledge about technology than the average "Joe User", but when it comes to some of these issues... I have no idea how the average joe manages.

I am also beginning to believe that if a device is on an "outrageous" sale price it is because the manufacturuer does not want to do a recall. They would rather clear the shelves of the local distrbution channels and deal with user downloads of patches, drivers and updates from a web site.

I have spent probably 6 hours looking over LinkSys's web site to find answers and I can't seem to find any... I am so sick of this crap!

Here is a list of problems with the Linksys and card...

1. A desktop needs to have the CAT5 cable pulled out and plugged back in to establish a connection. Although the router shows a connect light.

2. The wireless is SLOW... I mean we are talk unbrearably slow...

3. The wireless has difficulty connecting to the internet, not the network... Just the internet.

4. You can not shut off SSID broadcast. If you do, the devices can not find the router and will not connect. Pretty stupid!

Joe...

A couple things to check on XP computers:
1. make sure that in the properties section of your wireless connection the radio box at the top of the screen for "Manage Connection with Windows XP" (or something similar) is NOT checked. This interferes with the software that came with your wireless network adapter and makes the router drop the connection every few minutes.
2. Check the properties for the TCP/IP services on your wireless adapter. Make sure that they are set to use DHCP to automatically assign IP addresses. If you can connect to the network but not the internet this may be your problem.
3. If you have WEP enabled, make sure that it is the same level of security (i.e. 64 bit or 128 bit) on both the router and the client. This will also prevent you from being able to successfull connect to the internet.

If none of these help, write down your Linksys model numbers and call the technical support number. I have had several different brands of routers/wireless access points and Linksys is by far the best as far as hardware/software reliability and technical/customer support.

David

FredMurphy
05-15-2003, 08:47 PM
I found switching my wireless AP (DLink DWL-900AP+) to short preamble helped with similar problems. Obviously latest firmware and reboots all round help.

Whenever diagnosing problems switch WEP and DHCP off. Switch them on again once you're happy.

XP has had some updates regarding 802.11b recently (mainly involving 802.1x I think).

arcothunder
05-16-2003, 12:06 AM
I was getting the "Unknown Device in Socket 1" message. It kept coming more and more frequently, it was annoying. First only affected my CF wi-fi card, then later my CF memory card.

Turned out my ipaq CF sleeve/case had a bent pin. Trashed it, got a new one, problem solved. Until I break this one pullin' cards in and out I 'spose. Probably cheaper just to have multiple sleeves with different cards permanently in them... Lame.

JoeMoon
05-17-2003, 06:57 PM
A couple things to check on XP computers:
1. make sure that in the properties section of your wireless connection the radio box at the top of the screen for "Manage Connection with Windows XP" (or something similar) is NOT checked. This interferes with the software that came with your wireless network adapter and makes the router drop the connection every few minutes.

David

David,

Thanks for the tip. This seems to have resolved the problem.

I don't understand why LinkSys did not think of this as a part of their installation process.

Now if I could only figure out why one machine needs to have the CAT5 cable unplugged and plugged back in each time I turn it on to establish a connection, then all my new router problems will be resolved...

Joe...

Fzara
05-17-2003, 11:00 PM
THe short pre-able thing reduces the occurence of "Cannot communicate with device", but I'm still getting it.
I'm thinking of shutting off WEP, since I cant even get internet downstairs, i dont really see anyone trying to "steal" my connection.