View Full Version : Wireless Internet Newb: Please Help!!

Nausicaa
05-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, it is time for me to finally just go ahead and buy a pocket PC, however there are many things that I am still totally unsure of. One of the main reasons I want a pocket PC is the ability to have totally wireless internet, so I can browsw wherever I am. The only problem is, I have no idea about how to do this.

The Pocket PC I am really looking at is the new, inexpensive Dell Axim X5. So, what is it that I need to buy in order to have access to the internet with my Pocket PC? Is there a special card or something? Is it external or internal? Also, what companies offer wireless service, and how much does it cost. If you can, please provide links to information on any of this.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated! Thanks!

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Read through some of the threads on here and you'll get some direction. I'll see if I can find some of the threads where this question has been asked before...

Here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11239) it is.

Nausicaa
05-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have done some more research...

Is this what I would need for TOTAL wireless, go anywhere internet browsing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022697629&category=20321

Or something like this?

dreampages
05-08-2003, 01:07 AM
That's a LAN card. You have to be in a wireless LAN network to use it. To be totally wireless, you need a card such as the Yiso CF Connection Card for Sprint. Check out http://www.dpcomputerstore.com/product.asp?pf_id=SPR%2DYCF2031%2DCFC&dept_id=18-004-003&aff=pocketpcthoughts

This will give you wireless access everywhere on the Sprint network nationwide. No roaming charges. Monthly plans start at $40/month for 20MB of data.

Larry

Brad Adrian
05-08-2003, 01:19 AM
If you already have a mobile phone and account, you can buy a cable that connects the device to the phone, allowing you to use the phone as a modem. You can get them at:

www.thesupplynet.com
www.gomadic.com

PetiteFlower
05-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Of course that depends on what kind of phone and service you have....

Nausicaa
05-08-2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks for your help guys. Wow, I didn't realise this was such an expensive venture! $40 a month for only 20 mg of data is a lot!

Janak Parekh
05-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks for your help guys. Wow, I didn't realise this was such an expensive venture! $40 a month for only 20 mg of data is a lot!
Unfortunately, yes. That's the cost of living on the "bleeding" edge. Having said that, 20MB of data is a fair amount. I have 10MB and it is more than plenty for my few minutes every day.

There is hope for unlimited plans, but nothing's finalized yet, except for the unofficial Sprint setup using their Vision Phone plan with the LG 5350.

--janak

Nausicaa
05-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, I decided I will go through with the Pocket PC. I am interested in this wireless LAN card. We already have a LAN in my house, although it isn't wireless. How far can I go from my PC with access to the internet? 300 feet maybe? Also, do I need special service for it, or can I just use my current cable access provider. What else do I need aside from that card I linked to above?

PetiteFlower
05-11-2003, 05:25 AM
You need a wireless access point or wireless router.

Steven Cedrone
05-11-2003, 01:24 PM
You need a wireless access point or wireless router.

Or add a second wireless card to a PC and run an "Ad-Hoc" connection...

Steve