View Full Version : iPAQ 3900 and 5400 Owners: Free Software Upgrade

Jason Dunn
05-08-2003, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgrades/upgrade_ipaq_ppct.html' target='_blank'>http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgra..._ipaq_ppct.html</a><br /><br /></div>"If you own an HP iPAQ 3900 or 5400 series device, then Pocket Backup is already installed in ROM - it's just called 'iPAQ Backup'. Sprite Software has recently released version 2 of Pocket Backup, and the regular version is a free upgrade for iPAQ Backup users. We also now offer a $US10 upgrade to Pocket Backup Plus, which includes additional functionality such as backup to PC which is up to 20 times faster than ActiveSync backup."<br /><br />Great news for iPAQ 3900 and 5400 owners - I think Pocket Backup is one of the best-designed applications on the market today.

24va
05-08-2003, 07:08 PM
I bought the $10 upgrade in April. The backup to PC doesn't work, don't know if it is because I have the 128M memory upgrade on my 3975 and I am trying to backup about 60M of data or not. Contacted Sprite and they said -

"Hi 24va, (changed name)
Haven't seen this before (although we have seen activesync drop the
connection before). Can you try to do the backup from the PC agent and
see if that works ok.
From the log, it looks like it was trying to run a scheduled backup - is
this possible? I'll have to check whether scheduled backups to PC works.
(I think they should).

We appreciate your cooperation and patience.
Thanks,
Sean Connolly"

Did what was asked supplied more information and NEVER heard from them again :(

rooks308
05-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the app, I just finished downloading it. I'm glad to see that it is being offered for free. BTW do you know or could you perhaps even speculate as to whether Pocket Backup version 2 will be included in the upcoming ipaq models? and if so will they still be called ipaq backup or maybe ipaq backup 2 ?? Just wondering... thanks agian.

rooks308
05-08-2003, 07:39 PM
oops one quick question.... when i go into the app now it says i have 10 days left on my evaluation version? So is it free and i just need a code that I didnt see perhaps or is it just a free evaluation?

....... [edit] Scratch that... went back to site and just read further down... sorry bout that.. lol next time perhaps i should pay more attention... :D

Traveller
05-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Also, is the upgrade supposed to overwrite the iPaq Backup in ROM? In my case, it was a separate "evaluation" installation in RAM.

I'm not sure if I want 2 backup programs taking up memory on my 3955, if this is the case.

dma1965
05-08-2003, 08:54 PM
oops one quick question.... when i go into the app now it says i have 10 days left on my evaluation version? So is it free and i just need a code that I didnt see perhaps or is it just a free evaluation?

....... [edit] Scratch that... went back to site and just read further down... sorry bout that.. lol next time perhaps i should pay more attention... :D

It is free only if you do a custom installation and only install the backup application. The other goodies, such as space detective, backup to pc, today plugin, are not free. You must also register on the website for the free upgrade and they will send you a reg code which only allows you to register the main application. Rather convoluted, but the upgrade is WELL worth it for speed alone, as well as a couple of other features they implemented (which I suggested as a beta tester :) ), such as automatic restoration of menu shortcuts (called automatic menu handling), and the option to have it do an automatic reset after running a scheduled backup. The speed difference is astounding. It used to take 45 minutes to an hour to back up my 3975 using version one, and the same backup now takes 12-15 minutes. As far as the extras go, even though I got them free for being a beta tester, I do not install them because, frankly, they are either useless or eye candy, and I do not need them. So, save the $10 and just go for the free upgrade. 0X

kfluet
05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Also, is the upgrade supposed to overwrite the iPaq Backup in ROM? In my case, it was a separate "evaluation" installation in RAM. I'm not sure if I want 2 backup programs taking up memory on my 3955, if this is the case.

I'm pretty sure the upgrade will take up RAM.

My understanding is that when a file in the flash ROM is "overwritten", the version in RAM is used but the old version stays in ROM in a hidden state.

This means that (1) memory is wasted to a certain extent and (2) when you do a hard reset, you get the old version of the software and have to reinstall the upgrade if you want the new software.

In many ways this is a Good Thing. I would hate for a program to mess up my ROM so that even a hard reset didn't fix the problem. There is nothing quite like turning an expensive handheld into a brick...

Jason Dunn
05-08-2003, 09:25 PM
As far as the extras go, even though I got them free for being a beta tester, I do not install them because, frankly, they are either useless or eye candy, and I do not need them. So, save the $10 and just go for the free upgrade. 0X

I'd have to disagree with you there - their Space Detective app is fantastic, and the Today Screen plugin is quite cool too. Support developers, cough up $10. :mrgreen:

Simon Hughes
05-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Does this program do incremental backups? I'm currently using ArtSSave which does do this and I find it excellent. It has saved me many times, including restoring from a 3850 to a 5450.

rberry88
05-08-2003, 10:57 PM
I agree with Jason on the Today plugin extra. The cpu load monitor is useful so you can see what, if anything is running in the background just at a glance. I like the re-assurance that I can restore from a backup even if the app isn't installed on my IPAQ, just on my PC. Well worth the $10 for the upgrade.

rberry88 0X &lt;--(don't you just love this guy!?!?)