View Full Version : HP, Microsoft Unveil New PC Design

Jason Dunn
05-07-2003, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110594,tk,dn050603X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n050603X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard are working together on a future desktop reference design that will bring several different communications technologies together in a package, HP said Tuesday. Microsoft Chief Software Architect Bill Gates will demonstrate the device during his keynote Tuesday at WinHEC in New Orleans. The PC is code-named "Athens," and the prototype resembles a docked Tablet PC in landscape mode. However, with a 23-inch flat-panel display, it is not designed for mobility, said Byron Sands, director of advanced technology for HP's business PC division.<br /><br />That display comes with a phone handset and video camera tacked onto its sides, so users can hold videoconferences, take phone calls, and handle the rest of their daily Web browsing and e-mail through one desktop, Sands said. Any portion of a normal PC that relates to the user interface is part of the display screen, including media ports and optical drives, he said.<br /><br />The rest of the PC, such as the processor and motherboard, fits into a compact chassis that connects to the display via a single cable that delivers data and power to the screen, said Kent Biggs, a senior member of the technical staff for the business PC division. The device uses a wireless keyboard and mouse, he said."<br /><br />Could it be? A real revolution in hardware? It sounds cool, but I've never been a fan of buying "name brand" desktops - I always prefer to spec out the machine myself and either assemble it or have a local vendor put it together for me. If a HP cranks out some really innovative hardware, I just might buy one of their boxes...them promptly re-format the hard drive and build it back up MY way. :mrgreen:

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 01:50 AM
There's a 10 minute video here. (http://www.cnet.com/video/synd/news_redir2.html?vid_win=http://news.com.com/1601-2-1000058.html) A very cool concept. Needs some refining, but a cool direction for sure. Also, about half way through the video they show a BT enabled SmartPhone and the TI WANDA as a possible integrated device with this thing.

I think they are listening :D

trachy
05-07-2003, 02:07 AM
Wasn't it Gates declaring the end of the PC not so long ago? I thought everything was going to be an appliance instead?

Jason Dunn
05-07-2003, 02:10 AM
8O THAT VIDEO WAS AMAZING! 8O

:mrgreen: I dream of machines like this... :rock on dude!:

trachy
05-07-2003, 02:12 AM
A very cool concept. Needs some refining, but a cool direction for sure.

I agree. This little relationship that MS has with HP seems to be taking on a pattern. Didn't they team to bring us the MultiMedia PC? That, too, was rough around the edges at first, but at least it inspired some imitations that are slowly starting to evolve.

Unreal32
05-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Did anyone pay close attention to the TI prototype PPC with Bluetooth and Wifi and phone capabilities? &lt;drool>

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Did anyone pay close attention to the TI prototype PPC with Bluetooth and Wifi and phone capabilities? &lt;drool>

Um...Yes! That's the WANDA.

Foo Fighter
05-07-2003, 04:09 AM
Wow! I'm damn impressed. The wireless keyboard that recharges by docking with the LCD base is pure genius! 8O

That desktop wallpaper looked awesome. Wish I could download a copy.

By the way, did you see the prototype PPC 2003PE from TI? We've already covered that here several weeks ago, but it's nice to know this reference device is floating around.

Foo Fighter
05-07-2003, 04:20 AM
The only thing I find disagreeable with Athens PC is the Thin client tower design. I'm all for making PCs smaller, thinner, sleeker, quieter and more stylish...but I don't want to give up power and expandability.

Foo Fighter
05-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Hmm....you know this Athens PC looks very much like Viewsonic's new PC:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-404-21170222.html?tag=sd

Jeff Rutledge
05-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Wow! Very exciting stuff. The key concept for me is the seemless integration of everything. How it can hand off to a handset/headset, how VM and email is treated the same (since it really is the same thing).

OK, I've decided. I'll take one. :mrgreen:

felixdd
05-07-2003, 05:35 AM
&lt;cough> iMac look-alike &lt;cough>

It's interesting how in the 1990's the image of "technological sophistication" is a board full of flashing LED's and dials, while in the 21st century technological sophistication now manifests as a simple, clean design.

I wonder how "cutting-edge" will change in the next ten years.

Abba Zabba
05-07-2003, 05:37 AM

Definately this video :rock on dude!: So when do you think this prototype migh become reality :?:

Abba Zabba
05-07-2003, 05:41 AM
&lt;cough> iMac look-alike &lt;cough>

It's interesting how in the 1990's the image of "technological sophistication" is a board full of flashing LED's and dials, while in the 21st century technological sophistication now manifests as a simple, clean design.

How does this look anything like the iMAc :?: For one this screen and base aren't connected like an iMac though I have to admit it does bear a slight resembelance. Still you can't say that this machine doesn't rock :twisted:

Foo Fighter
05-07-2003, 05:44 AM

The flashing LED's through white semi-translucent plastic is eerily similar to control panel layouts used on the Enterprise set from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Life imitates art...or vice versa. :hippy:

felixdd
05-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Still you can't say that this machine doesn't rock :twisted:

True that :D. Still, the only thing that irks me is how the two "add-ons" on the side don't really "fit in" to the whole unit -- looks too modular and not integrated (visually anyways). Doesn't look...unified

ricksfiona
05-07-2003, 09:07 AM
I can't believe how some of you folks fell for that dog and pony show. Yes, that machine looks cool, but that's it.

a) The technology they displayed is already available today. Basically, they assigned some macros to some buttons for the features they showed. "Gee, by pressing this button, you can check your voicemail". Big deal.

b) The software they used to perform those functions are already available via 3rd party vendors. Like them fancy lights on the display? Heck, it wouldn't be very difficult for these 3rd party telephony vendors to build a USB device that could do the same stuff that monitor could. $50 bucks, if that. Maybe they have?

c) Rechargeable wireless keyboard. Ehh.

Yes, it's nice that these functions could be integrated into one and there's a couple of gee wiz features, but it's really a mediocre advancement.

However, I do see this as the first move for HP/Microsoft to try taking the PBX/telephony industry. And those 3rd party vendors should be quakin in their boots (though they've had their chance for years and their advancements over the years have been laughable). I wouldn't necessarily think this is a done deal though. Remember WebTV? Remember the Internet was only a FAD?

If HP keeps coming out with these mediocre devices, they'll be a mediocre company (some might say they already are). They need to really blow the doors off of other technology companies(IBM) if they want to regain their past glory. Isn't the IPAQ 5450 a Compaq design? HP, show me battery technology that gives us 10x - 100x the battery life we get now, and it be bio-degradable. Show me display technology that can be implantable into eyeglasses and the data be transmitted wirelessly. Darn it, show me a MS based Smartphone with Bluetooth :wink:

I used to be a big HP fan, but they've been dropping the ball for the past 4 years. This partnership with Microsoft is doomed. How often have you seen two mega-companies work together successfully? I bet HP and Microsoft will have a falling out and other vendors will start producing these phone/computer units and where will that leave HP? Then if HP has to compete with other vendors, they have to beat cause of technology, cause they can't on price. And you know how people might be regarding HP on their technical prowness.

rlobrecht
05-07-2003, 01:14 PM
That desktop wallpaper looked awesome. Wish I could download a copy.

Ask and you shall receive. I think you're looking for http://www.neowin.net/images/screenshots/lh4015/Bliss.jpg. Its the Longhorn bliss background. Here's the article that contains some other screenshots as well http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=10577&category=main

rlobrecht
05-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Some things that really stood out. 20" widescreen LCD for $400 in 2004. Bluetooth everything. Disk on key with smartcard and thumbprint reader. (I wonder if we could use this with a USB host PocketPC?)

aroma
05-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I can't believe how some of you folks fell for that dog and pony show. Yes, that machine looks cool, but that's it.

a) The technology they displayed is already available today. Basically, they assigned some macros to some buttons for the features they showed. "Gee, by pressing this button, you can check your voicemail". Big deal.

b) The software they used to perform those functions are already available via 3rd party vendors. Like them fancy lights on the display? Heck, it wouldn't be very difficult for these 3rd party telephony vendors to build a USB device that could do the same stuff that monitor could. $50 bucks, if that. Maybe they have?

Yes, it's nice that these functions could be integrated into one and there's a couple of gee wiz features, but it's really a mediocre advancement.

I don't quite agree. I think this is a very innovative design. Just because most of the technologies they displayed can be pieced, taped, and superglued together, doesn't take away from this design. That's almost like saying that any new space-going vehicle cannot be innovative, because heck, we can strap some big-a$$ rockets together and blast ourselves into space already! Just my 2 cents! :scatter:

Jason Dunn
05-07-2003, 03:32 PM

No offense, but I think that fact that you're jaded against HP is making you blind to what they're really doing with Microsoft here. Sure, you can do almost everything they showed in the video with today's technology. But it's not INTEGRATED. That's the killer feature - using the real estate of a monitor's case to display vital data is an amazing idea! That sort of glanceable data is something I've yet to see from any vendor, but to integrate it into the operating system? The closest thing we have to that now is the Pocket PC OS making a hardware light on the Pocket PC blink when there's an appointment.

The point of this whole video is that, historically, Microsoft has been focused solely on the software side of things. Their only interaction with hardware was drivers for making it "go". The Athens PC represents a new level of hardware and software interaction, and I for one think it's a GREAT first step towards having computers that can truly do more, out of the box, than any previous generation. I'm loathe to admit this, but this is there Apple has been kicking the PC's ass for years - out of the box, slick hardware tied to software in a simple fashion. Everything the showed in Athens PC goes way beyond what I've seen on any Mac, so I'm excited. 8)

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 03:36 PM
...I'm loathe to admit this, but this is there Apple has been kicking the PC's ass for years - out of the box, slick hardware tied to software in a simple fashion. Everything the showed in Athens PC goes way beyond what I've seen on any Mac, so I'm excited. 8)

You had me at "I'm loathe" :ppclove: but you lost me at "way beyond" :devilboy:

kaiden.1
05-07-2003, 03:46 PM
It's MS version of Apple Mac wide screen with a twist to make it look like it's a new invention! :D

No matter what anyone says; the Mac is being copied again! Then they want to add a few extras to make it look like a new thing. Clever, but it still is a Mac!

MS makes a lot of money copying Apple. The funny thing is that they have been getting away with it for years and making a lot of money doing it. Where would MS be without the Apple and it's companies great ideas? :lol:

mememe
05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
"Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard are working together on a future desktop reference design that will bring several different communications technologies together in a package, HP said Tuesday.

So.. it looks like my Mac :-)
About time other vendors got around to that..

alex_kac
05-07-2003, 08:21 PM

Jason - I hate to digress. But I'm using a machine like that now. Its called a Mac. I've got my BT cell phone next to my Mac and its fully integrated. A call comes in and via BT, my phone automatically sends that info to my Mac allowing me to control my phone via my Mac seamlessly. I can also make phone calls, send SMS messages, etc.. all this via the base OS. Finally, my Phone syncs via BT with my systemwide addressbook. OK, so that's just part of it.

But frankly...this is old stuff. The hardware looks like an Apple Cube from 3 years ago and an Apple Cinema Display.

I love Pocket PCs, but sometimes I think MS is just grabbing for straws - i.e. the "iLoo". I still think the Pocket PC is basically the best Microsoft product period. And it beats, hands down, every other PDA (except *certain* aspects of the Newton 2100) I've ever tried...and I've tried a heck of a lot.

klinux
05-07-2003, 10:23 PM
I was expected to be wowed but did not come away to impressed either.

Styling and the monitor - yes, very Mac like. Going from sleep state to working state in 2 seconds? I am already doing so on my iBook. For reference, my PC running XP took 15 seconds to go from 'suspend' state to working mode (log in screen). YMMV.

The built-in BT for syncing to devices is cool. Mac already does that with iSync but I have not tried it myself. Currently I sync my cell to Outlook via serial! Obviously Apple has no love for PPC. Grrr. So I still sync PPC to Outlook XP.

The integrated telephony is cool too but again, not overly impressed. We have Cisco phones here at work - it plus into an ethernet port, has its own IP, automatically sends voicemail as attached .wav file via e-mail etc. Sure, not integrated into the OS and not flashy but it works.

ricksfiona
05-07-2003, 11:50 PM

I don't quite agree. I think this is a very innovative design. Just because most of the technologies they displayed can be pieced, taped, and superglued together, doesn't take away from this design. That's almost like saying that any new space-going vehicle cannot be innovative, because heck, we can strap some big-a$$ rockets together and blast ourselves into space already! Just my 2 cents! :scatter:

The technologies offered by telephony companies are not 'pieced' together. It's real software. It's also a fact that telephony companies don't have the R&D that HP and Microsoft have, so their advancements move at a considerably slower pace.

Someone else also said that they are just repackaging technologies that are currently available. The ONLY thing even half-way innovative is the screen, and it's really not a big deal. Again, it looks cool, but that's not going to make me buy it.

Also, I'm not jaded by HP. I don't care who it is, if they come out with a great product, I'll give them all the credit in the world and worship the ground they walk on. In HP's case, when you mentioned the company 'HP', people would shut-up and listen. Now, it's more like 'ho-hum'. I worked tech. support for years and LOVED the HP desktops because they were SOOOO reliable and were supported forever. They ocassionally had their quirks, but I'll take that over the VERY strange stuff that could happen with lesser brands.

Unfortunately, it's all about "planned obsolessence". I'll give Intel credit here with their new memory bus. Instead of going from 533MHz to ~650MHz (or whatever they were thinking), they went straight to the 800MHz bus. They said: Hey we got the technology, let's get it out there. Instead of milking their customers. That's very cool.

I also think video card manufacturers are good companies too. They push the envelope and don't hold back to release their products. The performance of their equipment leapfrogs generation over generation.

And to prove I'm not jaded, I bought my Compaq Ipaq 3870 and I HATE Compaq. But they had such a cool design and a superior PDA, I had to buy it. At the time, their screen was the best which sold me on the PDA. It was that or a Toshiba. And I really like Toshiba devices.

I will probably buy the Ipaq 5500 when it's released. Even with my feelings about HP. It's a superior device to anything that's out there. With 128MB and Wi-Fi, I really can't go wrong. It would be nice that we can get past 400MHz and be up in the 800MHz range by now. Due to the size of these devices and competition, I think speed will come at a slower pace than the desktops. I can only dream.

So people who think I'm jaded. Think again. No hard feelings I hope. This is a great group of people and I'm glad we can talk openly and honestly about our thoughts.