View Full Version : Potential great ideas for PPC application:

67stang
05-06-2003, 09:00 PM
A slight twist on the pocket Remote application (whereby your PPC device controls TV's, VCR's ,etc)

I was wondering if you could get a PPC to open a garage door, or unlock a power door lock in a car? Could be cool if you forgot your keys in the car or house.

Ofcourse I assume these things work on some sort of RF and not IR wavelength? If so, can you do like total remote does and have a little adatpter for you headphone jack that emits RF?

Unreal32
05-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Do you really want to be locked out of your car if you drop your PPC in the store parking lot? Or locked out of your garage when you forget to charge your battery in your iPaq?

Pat Logsdon
05-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Someone asked this same question a few months ago in this thread (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28033&highlight=garage) over at pocketpcpassion.

Looks like it probably wouldn't work, OR wouldn't be worth the effort. :mrgreen:

67stang
05-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Do you really want to be locked out of your car if you drop your PPC in the store parking lot? Or locked out of your garage when you forget to charge your battery in your iPaq?

I think you misunderstood. The PPC application would be there as potential backup... i.e. IF you lock your keys in the car, then perhaps your PPC could get you in.

Charles Pickrell
05-08-2003, 04:21 PM
X-10 makes a serial dongle that can control X-10 devices, such as door locks, lights, sprinklers, a/c, alarms, etc. The dongle is quite small and might be able to be adapted to work with the derial connection of a pocket PC. Someone woule need to take it out of its housing and add a new serial adaptor on the bottom. X-10 has documentation on what signals the device needs to control your equipment.

If you follow this link you will see a picture, the firecracker is the little black box onthe left it is 1.2"x.6"x1.2". I'm sure if you removed the PC serail adaptors (which are quite large) it would be much smaller.

http://www.x10.com/automation/firecracker.htm

Eitel
05-08-2003, 05:41 PM

I think you misunderstood. The PPC application would be there as potential backup... i.e. IF you lock your keys in the car, then perhaps your PPC could get you in.

You an currently use your PPC for this. Just use the PPC to hit the window hard enough to break it. :mrgreen: