View Full Version : 5450 new user questions

Andrew
05-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi, I just got a 5450 an upgrade from a 3870, but I have a few questions for things that arent quite clear to me, so if any of you could help Id be grateful

1) Ive had the ipaq charging since it arrived, the main battery now says its fully charged, but the backup battery is on 80% and has stayed that way for over 20 minutes now. Is it just slow to charge or is it faulty?

2) I am assuming that the USB charging once turned on, allows to my to charge via a USB sync and charge cable, and if turned off, will just allow me to sync, is this correct?

3) The rom version is 1.10.00 ENG, Im planning to install the ROM update tonight, but do I need to apply any other updates, such as wireless?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards

Andrew

dhettel
05-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Hi, I just got a 5450 an upgrade from a 3870, but I have a few questions for things that arent quite clear to me, so if any of you could help Id be grateful

1) Ive had the ipaq charging since it arrived, the main battery now says its fully charged, but the backup battery is on 80% and has stayed that way for over 20 minutes now. Is it just slow to charge or is it faulty?

2) I am assuming that the USB charging once turned on, allows to my to charge via a USB sync and charge cable, and if turned off, will just allow me to sync, is this correct?

3) The rom version is 1.10.00 ENG, Im planning to install the ROM update tonight, but do I need to apply any other updates, such as wireless?

Regards

Andrew

If your ROM is 1.10.00 ENG What ROM update are you planning to apply? And Why?

On the 545X the USB Charging does not effect Syncing, as such you can switch it on and forget about it. No need to switch it off, for most people.

The backup battery is not a real battery, you might want to do a soft reset.

Also change the name of your 5450, (now undocked) from the default Pocket_PC. It's best to only use letters and numbers.

David

Chris Spera
05-06-2003, 07:00 PM

Regards

Andrew

If your ROM is 1.10.00 ENG What ROM update are you planning to apply? And Why?

On the 545X the USB Charging does not effect Syncing, as such you can switch it on and forget about it. No need to switch it off, for most people.

The backup battery is not a real battery, you might want to do a soft reset.

Also change the name of your 5450, (now undocked) from the default Pocket_PC. It's best to only use letters and numbers.

David

My recommendation is to keep USB Charging turned off and to use the AC Adapter that is included with the unit. I have noticed that there are a number of different communications related issues with the 5400 series and its cradle when USB Charging is turned ON.

I turned my off and have kept it off, and have not had AS drop the device, have not had any upgrade or application installation issues like I did when it was turned on.

I've also noticed that the device itself is much more stable with USB Charging turned off.

My understanding of the backup battery is also different. I was told that it was an actual battery; however it didn't charge at the same rate as the regular battery. A soft reset may resolve this issue. If not, stick the device back in the cradle and let it charge until everything reads 100%.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Andrew
05-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. A soft reset did not resolve the issue with the backup battery, but strangely leaving the device off for 25 mins (journey home) did.

As for the USB charging, I think I'll follow your advice Chris, I already tried connecting to my laptop via a sync and charge cable and the ipaq synced flawlessly, and I also noticed the charge light blinking as charging - even though the charge option is turned off.

I also received the extended battery with this device as well as the slim one, does anyone have any figures for how long the ipaq will last on that just out of curiosty.

Could someone also please confirm for me, their rom version number after the update has been applied, Im on gprs at the moment so doing a forum search is a little time consuming :)

Thanks again for your helps guys!

Andrew

possmann
05-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Does the 5400 series have this or is it just a SD/MMC slot?

and on a different topic but iPaq related...

Any news on a PPCPE device from these guys? Rumor once was that a 5500 series was coming out with GSM/GPRS assuming PPCPE OS.