View Full Version : Pocket PC 2003

mike6432
05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
First off, Hi I'm a new member to the boards. Anyways... can anyone tell me info about Pocket PC 2003? How do I obtain it? thanks

Bob Anderson
05-05-2003, 03:47 PM
It isn't available yet... and even when it does become available, if you want to get it for a PPC you already own, you'll have to wait for the manufacturer to release a upgrade tailored to your specific device.

Rumor has it that June will be the "magic" month when PPC 2003 is released. Until then, make the best of PPC2002!!

guinness
05-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Rumors are that it will be released around June, based on reports that the iPaq 2200 will have it and that is supposed to released that month. Other than that, not much is known about it, it's mainly bug fixes and a couple new additions/updates (updated PIE, maybe a Pictures app, new skin for WMP and WMP 9 video codecs). The UI looks pretty similar as well.

http://msmobiles.com/article.php/31.html

Pony99CA
05-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Rumors are that it will be released around June, based on reports that the iPaq 2200 will have it and that is supposed to released that month. Other than that, not much is known about it, it's mainly bug fixes and a couple new additions/updates (updated PIE, maybe a Pictures app, new skin for WMP and WMP 9 video codecs). The UI looks pretty similar as well.

Did anyone notice in the About dialog that the processor was a Pentium III? Was he running the Pocket PC emulator?

Steve

daninnj
05-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Did anyone notice in the About dialog that the processor was a Pentium III? Was he running the Pocket PC emulator?

Yes to both questions.

pocketpcdude1024
05-05-2003, 08:24 PM

Steve

Didn't you know? Pocket PC 2003 is based on desktop processors! :wink: :lol:

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Just give me screen rotation on demand (without reset) and I will be happy happy happy!

Goldtee

andrewlwood
05-06-2003, 03:19 PM
give me a wifi setup that I don't need to reset everytime I switch it on
Give me a close button that closes
Give me a connection manager I can understand
Give me a free upgrade
THEN I'll be happy :jawdrop:

xoiph
05-07-2003, 06:29 AM
I've read that Ozone will install on any PPC running Pocket PC 2002 with 32 MB ROM. Unfortunately, the iPaq 1910 only comes with 16 MB ROM. There's going to be a lot of unhappy 1910 owners with no upgrade (me included.)

Pony99CA
05-07-2003, 09:21 AM
I've read that Ozone will install on any PPC running Pocket PC 2002 with 32 MB ROM. Unfortunately, the iPaq 1910 only comes with 16 MB ROM. There's going to be a lot of unhappy 1910 owners with no upgrade (me included.)
Well, if you know Pocket PC history, you'd have seen this coming. Pocket PC 2002 would not fit entirely in machines with 16 MB ROM. Microsoft created the Professional version for upgrades (which is also what the 1910 has, I believe) where you could install some components in RAM and the Premium version for new devices (those having 32 MB ROM).

If you're lucky, Microsoft will have two versions again for devices with 16 MB ROM.

Steve

Stephen Beesley
05-07-2003, 11:13 AM
It is not just Microsoft you have to worry about though. It will depend on whether the various OEMs will release an update for the particular devices. I should imagine that there will be an upgrade of some sort for the 1910 simply because there are so many of them being sold.

What I am hoping is that HP will release an upgrade for the Jornada 56x series - after all it does have a 32 meg ROM.

Goldtee