View Full Version : HELP!! - Trying to rid a problem I can't find!

MonolithicDawgX
05-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Ok, I'll try to explain what is happening. I am getting a Notification Error on my iPaq 3800 every time I turn it on that is being called because it is looking for pocketmusic.exe. I tried pocketmusic, got bad lock-up with it, so I removed it. However, my iPaq is apparently trying to find it when I turn it on. I have to hit ok on the notification error box 3 times. I am at the point of wanting to do a hard reset and re-load all my software, but don't even know where to do that on the 3800.

Can anyone help me? I cannot find anything to help.

Thanks!

Andy Whiteford
05-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Use File Explorer and go to My Device\Windows\Startup folder and see if there is a shortcut or similar for pocketmusic in there. If there is, just delete this file since you have already uninstalled the app.
just out of curiousity, have you done a soft reset after uninstalling this app? Always worth trying to clear out some remnants.

MonolithicDawgX
05-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Use File Explorer and go to My Device\Windows\Startup folder and see if there is a shortcut or similar for pocketmusic in there. If there is, just delete this file since you have already uninstalled the app.
just out of curiousity, have you done a soft reset after uninstalling this app? Always worth trying to clear out some remnants.

I've tried finding any remnants everywhere, including Startup, but can't find it. I also have done many soft resets... I have an iPaq 3800... :wink:

Andy Whiteford
05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Are you comfortable using a registry editor?
If so, browse your registry for a key that contains the name of the product or of the program developer. Some reg editors allow you to search, otherwise, you will have to find it manually, most like under Local Machine or Current User. If there are keys in there that are definitely from Pocket Music, you should be able to safely remove these without incident (since you have uninstalled) however backing up is always advised prior to toying with the registry.

If there are no keys, I'm unsure what else can be causing your device to search for Pocket Music. Do you have anything else in your start up other than poutlook.lnk? There may be something associated with Pocket Music that you may need to unassociate.

Other than that, it could be a hard reset, the only fool proof way of clearing out your system!

sjo
05-05-2003, 05:09 PM
You might want to try Remover

http://www.geocities.com/s_k_s_k_s_kru/util.html#remover

Pony99CA
05-05-2003, 05:29 PM
I've tried finding any remnants everywhere, including Startup, but can't find it. I also have done many soft resets... I have an iPaq 3800... :wink:
You might start by telling us the exact message that you're getting. That might give us a clue as to what is happening.

Besides Andy's suggestions for looking in the registry, there's also the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init area that lists programs that start up automatically. I don't know if Pocket Music would have put anything there, but I'd check it if nothing else works. Be very careful there, as removing the wrong thing could possibly prevent your Pocket PC from starting properly.

Steve

davidspalding
05-05-2003, 06:27 PM
PHM.lu's Registry editor is a great tool for backing up your registry prior to hacks. Try before you hack the registry.

Remover, still in beta (by the author of Cabinstl, another great utility), can be risky, Yes, it will find things that Pocketmusic left behind, but I suggest a full and reliable backup before making changes with it. ;)

Steven Cedrone
05-05-2003, 10:24 PM
If worse comes to worse, you could contact the PocketMusic people. Did you have any problems when you uninstalled it? Maybe reinstall, soft reset, and uninstall again...

Just throwing out ideas...

Steve