View Full Version : The mio 8380...think its worth it???

rzanology
05-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Okay fellows, before I start to talk about heres the link so you can see what IM obsessed about. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3197.html I think this is the best thing I've seen sense the t68i, but the only flaw I can see is it has no bluetooth. I plan on slapping a SD bluetooth card in there and call it a day. What do you guys think? IM pretty sure this is going to do it for me, but I've learned that other people's insight always helps....so help me out on this one guys. Would you buy it? why and why not.

mscdex
05-04-2003, 10:48 PM
I hate to break this to you... but I don't think the SD slot in the phone is SDIO. If you read the part about the slot it says "Also available is an SD Card expansion slot for storing applications and additional data, as well as backup software for users...." This leads to me believe it is just for SD memory cards. :?

Pony99CA
05-05-2003, 12:26 AM
Okay fellows, before I start to talk about heres the link so you can see what IM obsessed about. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3197.html I think this is the best thing I've seen sense the t68i, but the only flaw I can see is it has no bluetooth. I plan on slapping a SD bluetooth card in there and call it a day. What do you guys think? IM pretty sure this is going to do it for me, but I've learned that other people's insight always helps....so help me out on this one guys. Would you buy it? why and why not.
The Mitac Mio 8380 looks cool, but will it be available in the U.S.? Mitac seems to ship mostly to Asia. Even if you can buy it here, will any network support it?

Steve

Fishie
05-05-2003, 12:38 AM
The Mitac Mio 8380 looks cool, but will it be available in the U.S.? Mitac seems to ship mostly to Asia. Even if you can buy it here, will any network support it?

Steve

even that wont be happening any time soon as sars has put a damper on production of the unit.
Its now sheduled to release third quarter.

dollardr
05-05-2003, 11:21 PM
I have been waiting for a smart phone with a good form factor for sooo long. I almost considered the new Kyocera but can't stand the Palm OS. I use my Pocket PC when in the car, at meetings, MP3's and wireless e-mail but its really just a glorified PIM. I still rely on my wireless (CDMA and 802.11b) notebook for real functionality.

I believe Pocket PC's have their role in certain vertical market apps (i.e. healthcare) but I would love to have a clam shell phone that also has the glorified PIM functions of a ppc when in transit. For what I need, one device would work great but I would never feel comfortable with a ppc phone edition due to its bulk and form factor.

Why is it taking so long for these to come to the US market?

rzanology
05-09-2003, 04:01 PM
aaawe maaaaan....i see your point mscdex. And i also read that sars put a halt to it's dates. I don't know what to do. I was playing around with my friend's Orange smart phone the other day, and I FEEL IN LOVE!!!...but the phone is just too damn ugly!!!!!!! For me, part of having cutting edge technology in a phone is the way it looks. Thats why my t68i is still my baby, but i think its time to move on, and i can't find anything else to play with. all of the smart phones i've seen are pretty much ugly, and almost all of them if not none of them support bluetooth. What are these people doing??? I know some one some where will come up with the beautiful solution with bluetooth and ppc2002 and all that good stuff, but i wish they would hurry the hell up!!!! i need a new toy for the summer :)

Pony99CA
05-10-2003, 04:00 AM
I know some one some where will come up with the beautiful solution with bluetooth and ppc2002 and all that good stuff, but i wish they would hurry the hell up!!!! i need a new toy for the summer :)
I doubt a phone form factor device will ever have Pocket PC 2002; phones get SmartPhone, connected PDAs (like the XDA) get PPC Phone Edition.

One reason is the screen size -- the Pocket PC OS would have to support smaller resolutions than 240x320 to fit on typical phone screens.

Steve

rzanology
06-06-2003, 03:07 PM
lol sorry i didn't mean pocketpc 2002, i ment to say smart phone but i thought you guys would know what i ment. But in any case im looking at the orange SPV...but still no bluetooth!!!! why is this taking so long!!!!!!!!